WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chinese characters in DP Gallery Vol.4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 am 

Shanglin Garden---上林苑

Post subject: Re: Chinese characters in DP Gallery Vol.4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
from a Google search (you may not have access to)

Shanglin Yuan (上林苑) - the Earliest Mentioned Imperial Garden
The earliest mentions of imperial gardens, as we know them today, are found in records of the Qin (秦) (221-207BC) and Han (漢) (206BC-AD220) dynasties. Qin Shihuangdi (秦始皇帝) (r.221-210BC), the first emperor of the Qin, began to have built a garden that he named the Shanglin Yuan (yuan is the Chinese word for garden or park) in the south of his capital city, Xianyang (咸陽).

Picture Above : The artist's imagined statute of Qin Shi Huang Di, at the Fobidden Gardens, Katy, Texas, USADi

Due to its vast scale and complexity, the garden construction was not complete when he died. Emperor Wudi (武帝) (r.140-87BC) of the Han dynasty continued the unfinished task, and it was thirty more years before the project was finally completed.

The Shanglin Yuan occupied an immense area of three hundred li (里) in circumference (one Han li is about 400 meters). During the Qin era alone, more than three hundred palaces were built in the garden. Within its boundary, there were animals and plants of all sorts, large forests, and man-made lakes. The Kunming Hu (昆明湖) (hu means lake in Chinese), covering an area of 300 hectares, was the most famous and the largest of the lakes. It was said to be used extensively for pleasure boating at that time. The lake also served as a naval training ground, as well as a reservoir for urban dwellings. The enormity of the park and the rich natural resources it contained have prompted speculation that economy was also a prime motivation for its creation.

I love where your findings lead me YHG, it seems that there is a pyramid in the same capital city ... where Shanglin Yuan lived ...Xianyang

Post subject: Re: Chinese characters in DP Gallery Vol.4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
scanning pictures of royal gardens ... this one reminded me of the one James may have used - because of the flat topped rock ...

just look at all the Oracle in China :shock: