WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: In their own words
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 am 
Posting Freak

Quote:
Herb Cardwell was the first DP. Herb worked for nine months. Herb is a great DP. And Herb died when he was 35 years old. He died in a sleep; that was long after he finished working on Eraserhead. One day Herb took me and Peggy flying, and he said there is a beautiful airport north of here in the desert. And we flew up there -- beautiful day... Landed just like the most perfect smooth landing. Herb is the only guy I know: he's the best driver, in the world. Herb drove with both feet. And he would feather his stops, and feather his starts, and he would accelerate at exactly the right moment in a turn. You never feel any tension, you are very relaxed, everything is smooth and you're not rocking to and fro or side to side. But anyway, it's beautiful, Herbs driving, in the same way he flies, so smooth -- perfect. And we came, we went out, and we landed in the desert, you know, kind of walked around in the desert and then flew back and when we landed in LA, it was night. And we were taxying to the place where we were going, you know -- stop his plane -- and... He radioed to the tower, and the sound of his voice and the character of his voice; all the hair went up on the back of my head neck and I got goose bumps all over, and it occurred to me that Herb, in another life, was a long-distance space pilot. The way he said ‘Goodnight’ to the tower, it was like he would have been flying for millions of years. It was the weirdest thing. The guy was a pilot. And it was very beautiful the way he said ‘Goodnight’ to the tower. It was incredible.

(David Lynch)

Last edited by Nathan on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: In their own words
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:52 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
and this has what to do with the WMMs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 am 
Posting Freak

It felt like a beautiful example of appreciation, the way Mr. Lynch said that, the whole thing was very touching. The way he would tell something is very plastic, you can see it before you it is more than just words. He would pause and draw from the heart. But this story had something -- sometimes eternity speaks through, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:47 pm 

I agree. A lot of feeling flows through those words.

A story well told.

jeanna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:42 pm 
Posting Freak

Quote:
War

One night a feast was held in the palace, and there came a man and prostrated himself before the prince, and all the feasters looked upon him; and they saw that one of his eyes was out and that the empty socket bled. And the prince inquired of him, “What has befallen you?” And the man replied, “O prince, I am by profession a thief, and this night, because there was no moon, I went to rob the money-changer's shop, and as I climbed in through the window I made a mistake and entered the weaver's shop, and in the dark I ran into the weaver's loom and my eye was plucked out. And now, O prince, I ask for justice upon the weaver.”

Then the prince sent for the weaver and he came, and it was decreed that one of his eyes should be plucked out.

“O prince,” said the weaver, “the decree is just. It is right that one of my eyes be taken. And yet, alas! both are necessary to me in order that I may see the two sides of the cloth that I weave. But I have a neighbour, a cobbler, who has also two eyes, and in his trade both eyes are not necessary.”

Then the prince sent for the cobbler. And he came. And they took out one of the cobbler's two eyes.

And justice was satisfied.

(Kahlil Gibran, The Madman, 1918)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 am 
Posting Freak

Christophe did you lose something in the translation yet again? Or is this just another one of your "cheery" lessons for us lesser peons? Do you ever feel any joy? Do you even know how to express joy? Have you forgotten the light of the spirit? And why angels fly? :shock: :|

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am 
Posting Freak

You see, it was really the moon's fault. The moon was not there to reflect the light of the sun, hence the mistake.

Quote:
When My Sorrow Was Born

When my Sorrow was born I nursed it with care, and watched over it with loving tenderness.
And my Sorrow grew like all living things, strong and beautiful and full of wondrous delights.
And we loved one another, my Sorrow and I, and we loved the world about us; for Sorrow had a kindly heart and mine was kindly with Sorrow.
And when we conversed, my Sorrow and I, our days were winged and our nights were girdled with dreams; for Sorrow had an eloquent tongue, and mine was eloquent with Sorrow.
And when we sang together, my Sorrow and I, our neighbors sat at their windows and listened; for our songs were deep as the sea and our melodies were full of strange memories.
And when we walked together, my Sorrow and I, people gazed at us with gentle eyes and whispered in words of exceeding sweetness. And there were those who looked with envy upon us, for Sorrow was a noble thing and I was proud with Sorrow.

But my Sorrow died, like all living things, and alone I am left to muse and ponder.
And now when I speak my words fall heavily upon my ears.
And when I sing my songs my neighbours come not to listen.
And when I walk the streets no one looks at me.
Only in my sleep I hear voices saying in pity, “See, there lies the man whose Sorrow is dead.”

(Kahlil Gibran, The Madman)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:11 pm 
Posting Freak

You're a funny kinda guy and I do appreciate that. :wink: :lol:

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:29 pm 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA