WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: INTERNET FREEDOM FREEDOM PERIOD.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 pm 
Posting Freak

"The worlds biggest information war now has begun with the appearance of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. Listen to the original Wikileaks creator John Young who began Cryptome in 1996 give the inside information on this global political unfolding of freedom of information and the world's response. Is Julian Assange an MK-ULTRA cut out? Listen and find out."

http://www.achieveradio.com/cash-flow/

(Interview here: http://www.achieveradio.com/archplayer. ... h_Flow.mp3 )

and...

Cryptome Archive DVDs composed of 70,000 files on 4 disks (~14GB) for the 15.5-year period from June 1996 to January 2012.

http://www.cryptome.org/

This is interesting to check out at the above link:

0069.pdf Google's New Privacy Policy and Terms of Service January 27, 2012

Interview: Stephen Graham, professor of Human Geography at Durham University

Date: 9 of October 2008

On the 2nd and 3rd of October 2008 the CCCB held the debate “Targeted Publics: Arts and Technologies of the Security City", a meeting directed by the British geographers Stephen Graham and Louise Amoore to analyze the effects that technological systems of control and security have on cities and public spaces.

Experts from a wide range of fields such as Sociology, Philosophy, Urbanism or Art analyzed how the ideology of terror, that gathered strength after 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks, is affecting people flows, freedom of movement and the concept of city as a public and shared space for communications and creation. Stephen Graham is an expert on this issue and the author of the concept "passage-point urbanism", an idea to explain how cities turn into nets with passage points (sometimes invisible points) in order to track and monitor the public and private activity of its inhabitants.

Author/s: Stephen Graham

http://www.cccb.org/en/video-interview_ ... sity-26718

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

Last edited by Shayalana on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Free Internet Freedom of Speech Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:33 pm 
Posting Freak

NSA Releases 37 Cryptologic Articles

The National Security Agency released on January 11, 2012, 37 FOIA-requested articles, 36 in the Cryptologic Quarterly and one in the Cryptologic Almanac. These appear to be the 37 -- NSA does not indicate which articles are new. Corrections welcome: cryptome[at]earthlink.net. (Links go to NSA.gov)

Cryptologic Quarterly

http://cryptome.org/2012/01/0038.htm

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
Posting Freak

2011-09-27
The Law and You.

Understanding the Media Ecological Ramifications of Law

Alfred Adask recently appeared on CBS's television show "60 Minutes" and was portrayed as an Anti-Government guru for his views and perspectives regarding the nature of law and freedoms here in the U.S. Following this interview he has appeared frequently on radio throughout the U.S. Today we will examine the effects of his television interview and the truth regarding some of the legal concepts he suggested. More and more of the population are now beginning to examine what many may view as radical perspectives as true. With freedom of speech and the proposed legislation of thought crime at stake here is your chance to examine some legal concepts that I have discussed briefly though out my career in radio. Suspend your judgment and listen, process and investigate for yourself.

http://adask.wordpress.com/

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7366148n

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 pm 
Posting Freak

TECHNOCRACY

Ron Miller Returns

After 2 years Ron Miller returns with an update on Technocracy and the future of government in an Information Society and a broken economy. Technocracy is a form of government in which engineers, scientists, health professionals and other technical experts are in control of decision making in their respective fields. The term technocracy derives from the Greek words tekhne meaning skill and kratos meaning power, as in government, or rule. Thus the term technocracy denotes a system of government where those who have knowledge, expertise or skills compose the governing body. In a technocracy decision makers would be selected based upon how highly knowledgeable they are, rather than how much political capital they hold.

http://www.achieveradio.com/archplayer. ... h_Flow.mp3

http://www.technocracy.org/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:31 pm 
Posting Freak

In the first post there is an interview with John Young an old hacker from way back. He brings up some valid points about the internet now and how no one country such as the US can control the internet as much as they would like people to believe that they can. The net has gotten too big for that and that there are so many countries now that have their own nodes of the net so to speak , no one country can control all of the net. However, it doesn't stop the control freaks such as corp America from trying to convince people that they have that much control through creating the illusion that they do. A curious thing is that even in countries as censored and controlled as China, why are they still able to access other places that aren't so censored? Or during the Arab Spring despite the internet being shut down why were they in Egypt still able to communicate with their brothers and sisters in America who were endeavoring to help them? The internet is too big and too diversified with its various nodes in all those countries to ever have a centralised power again. And that is the change and wave of the future with more than just the net and it's called decentralisation as more become centered in their heart. :wink:

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 am 

This is a great post Shayalana, thank you. In fifteen feet space around self seeing two, three, (for now) “worlds” - organic, synthetic, organic/synthetic. All separate, but interlocking, merging and pulsing/swirling around each other at the same time - some vibrating to appear very static, some not, therefore more fluid, flexible and freer to move and not “stick” to static view. Internet frequencies organic/synthetic, all differences of degrees there now, the collective view varies, of course, according to which frequency/pathway individuals view/attune to - in other words which world to dominate according to individual preference - synthetic is coded with organics in camouflage and eventually link and replicate virally. Compression of horizontal time being return to vertical no time - a pathway, a simple pathway yet fraught with complexity due to the grouping in horizontal. Reaching vertical is imminent collectively - awareness and co-creation in horizontal now is determining viability to stabilize on vertical and maintain the vertical network - SIN - and in so doing collective frees itself to “explore the multiverse - time travel” so to speak, conscious of horizontals but not limited by them, and able to influence, create and/or contribute to horizontals according to their “phases of evolution”. Not all will stabilize on SIN and will keep vibrating in a horizontal, which horizontal is determined by the entities’ abilities to merge its fragments, combined with optimizing “conditions”. The rush, buzz, excitement in the cosmic world is the attraction of this window of interface opportunity for “all creatures great and small” to expand and add to their horizontals - much like a cosmic “sale” of the century - analogous to those lining up at a large department store, even camping out there days in advance, waiting for the doors to open to rush in, pushing and shoving, to grab their products for a fraction of the normal price - what products one wants is of course according to their domains - some want perfume, some want furniture, some want clothes, etc.

When people know there is a “sale to beat all sales” coming there is not much else they talk about - it is plastered all over the media, people in public places have a common ground to talk about and be excited about, family and friends discuss, prepare and make lists for the event, etc - whilst this is happening however their interface zone has closed down so narrowly that they are not aware, let alone conscious of the bigger picture around them - bit of humor: someone could walk into someone else’s home, stand in the doorway watching the family and friends discuss and prepare for what they are going to buy at the sale, walk into another room in the house picking up objects, money, jewellery, etc along the way and then waltz right back out the front door without anyone noticing - so in actual reality those that are believing they have the opportunity for “gaining” something, if they win in the rush, are actually losing pieces of their already established domain.

This is, in my humble opinion, the excitement and fun of living on a loop horizontal time line but eventually the excitement fades, it becomes transparent and some people “stop” wanting to join in the collective hype, be they the participants, or the clever thieves, and decide to sit back and watch from a more neutral perspective - when this occurs a different vibration resounds, it is always heard, it is always responded to, and it is always nurtured.

Those that have turned their focus away from the hype, the sale of the century, are heard and connected in very, very distinct, individual ways and as much as rigid maintenance is required to hold balance in the swirling activity of the sale hype going on around, (because attentions can turn away from the core and refocus on the hype anytime), they can relax knowing that they are/have established a profound bond with their core entity - even if the apparentness of this is not seen when looking for it externally with dogma belief systems, which is why, as we know, it is manifesting externally in so many ordinary people without their external conscious awareness of it.

I love this orchestration and can’t help myself in contributing a story. A conspiracy story concept - that is, codes, secrecy and so forth. The codes, the symbols, the missing links etc can never and will never be found in one or more static places - it is the perfect stealth tactic that outsmarts them all - the one that keeps all those wanting to covet, control, prevent or avert human beings from being what they are designed to be, constantly searching to find the missing pieces, the missing links.

The pieces, the missing links have been brought here inside individuals, scattered all over the globe and if not constantly moving around are surrounded by movement in many different forms. These select individuals, who volunteered for the assignment, each have a piece and those pieces are activating and each piece has a homing beacon that signals to another and another and another. Do the threatening forces know this? Of course they do . . . they kill messengers don’t they, believing it will buy them more time to work out how to have it all. Do the threatening forces observe, probe and monitor individuals and collectives? Of course they do . . . they are looking for those that have the codes within them, the missing links. Do the threatening forces orchestrate hive mentalities toward love and oneness and bliss? Of course they do . . . they are steering and enticing individuals into camps so they radar them en masse to find those that have the codes, hoping to find just one, just one, vital piece to study and control . . . whilst the remaining individuals are just dispensable labor. If those that have pieces do not join the herds then surely they are exposed? Of course, this is the other side of the coin of the clever tactic of herding, isolate the one you are looking for.

Then how does the isolated one protect themselves? Camouflage, ever noticed how you or someone you know seems to have something “different” to others, yet their lives are thwart with challenge and it keeps on coming, no matter where they go or what they do - these frequencies that surround them, as difficult as they are at times, are actually their protection - their armor that the probes cannot definitively pierce through and therefore they skim past them. Is this why some people walk away from people only to meet others reflecting similar things? Yes and No - what’s important for carriers is to not focus on outcomes in situations, instead stay in the moment, moment by moment, for that is the centre of balance, regardless of what is swirling around. What if someone has a piece and they don’t want it anymore? This is an individual entity decision and arrangements will be made in accordance to pass it on in some form or other.

What happens when the pieces “reconnect”? The mission is successful and the next grand adventure begins. Does this happen overnight? Of course not, although that does depend on where you are viewing from. Is there cause to be fearful if one has a piece? Yes, but you do not sign up for this if you are not capable of learning to deal with fear, for protection surrounds the pieces at all times, it is only the individual who can, by not learning to recognize this, move into enemy camps so to speak. What happens then? There are infinite rescue missions deployed according to the circumstances, however the individual can cause multiple fragments within themselves which “takes time” to repair. It sounds as if being a carrier for a piece is not for the faint or lazy hearted? Most definitely not. So carriers must be very strong people then? And yet they are also cleverly hidden inside some of the gentlest of people. Some candidates are invited/requested to volunteer because their levels of awareness have reached optimum capacity to survive the difficult terrain and others who are close to optimum capacity can volunteer, but they are screened before being chosen. Do the pieces stay with the person all the time? Some do and some don’t. There are those that have maximum optimal potential, in other words, 100% guarantee for successfully “depositing” their pieces and so can make several deposits spanning a few lifetimes , they will however remain with their final piece. How many carriers for these pieces are there? A few, then a few more, then a few more.

As the mission gets “closer” to completion wouldn’t the carriers become more exposed because of the activation of the pieces and their homing beacons to each other? Yes. But by this time the depositing and locking together of specific pieces has created an impenetrable “barrier” so to speak, that the controlling forces cannot penetrate, they begin to lose interest and eventually disband as they are left with very few places to hunt in. But what about all the “dispensable laborers”? When people follow a leader and then the leader dies, people often believe they can’t think for themselves and so chaos generally ensues - chooks running around with their heads cut off, so to speak. This is why carriers remain with their final piece because they re-establish coherency and assist with adaptation to a new “frequency” of leadership. Where’s all the love in all of this conspiracy? If you look carefully you will see the frequency of love is literally everywhere, because It is the most powerful; totally accepting and totally without rejection.

How do I know if I am a “piece carrier” or not? That depends on whether you really want to know. Some do and are, and some don’t and are, and some are simply just along for the ride pretending they do or they don’t, not having any input or output but highly skilled in cloaking abilities . . . but that’s another story!

Good grief, apologies folks if that is way off base, topic, etc, etc, I sat and started to write a brief comment and as I am simply unable to turn away from or ignore or not be in this place I am sitting in and seeing in my heart centre at the same time as being aware of everything else, I just had to keep going, it’s a bit like being in a classroom and I am talking, reporting, discussing with my teacher but I can’ leave the classroom, because it’s, well, it’s in my bloody chest . . . I’m really sorry I cannot explain this properly, or why or how, because it is just there, even though it’s strange and quirky it’s also kinda normal, if you know what I mean, I don’t know, so I guess I will just chalk it up to my humble opinion being shared as it comes through my heart centre in the language of story I guess! :shock: I have some great inspirational packages from recently about putting together a book, or a series of short stories really, and these are not necessarily related to my health, so maybe I should stop communicating on the forum and put these together, but I did pose that thought today when writing the above, coz I was a bit dubious as I was relaying the story but I just had to keep going, shiiiiit, I don’t know, I can’t see past now, it’s as if each day is a page being written but I can’t jump ahead into the end of the chapter, and this is okay coz it feels good. Bloody hell??? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:57 am 
Posting Freak

Thank you.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am 

When one has really changed or transformed into another human being, nothing matters. It is that simple. You may be the most usual human being out there that most everyone overlooks, or someone very, very special, it matters not, you are having your impact on humanity on a greater scale because of the inflow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 pm 
Posting Freak

How To Become A Hacker

Eric Steven Raymond

What Is a Hacker?

The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term ‘hacker’, most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits. If you want to know how to become a hacker, though, only two are really relevant.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term ‘hacker’. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music — actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them ‘hackers’ too — and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in. But in the rest of this document we will focus on the skills and attitudes of software hackers, and the traditions of the shared culture that originated the term ‘hacker’.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

If you want to be a hacker, keep reading. If you want to be a cracker, go read the alt.2600 newsgroup and get ready to do five to ten in the slammer after finding out you aren't as smart as you think you are. And that's all I'm going to say about crackers.

The Hacker Attitude

1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.
2. No problem should ever have to be solved twice.
3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.
4. Freedom is good.
5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.

Hackers solve problems and build things, and they believe in freedom and voluntary mutual help. To be accepted as a hacker, you have to behave as though you have this kind of attitude yourself. And to behave as though you have the attitude, you have to really believe the attitude.

But if you think of cultivating hacker attitudes as just a way to gain acceptance in the culture, you'll miss the point. Becoming the kind of person who believes these things is important for you — for helping you learn and keeping you motivated. As with all creative arts, the most effective way to become a master is to imitate the mind-set of masters — not just intellectually but emotionally as well.

Or, as the following modern Zen poem has it:

To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.

So, if you want to be a hacker, repeat the following things until you believe them:

1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.

Being a hacker is lots of fun, but it's a kind of fun that takes lots of effort. The effort takes motivation. Successful athletes get their motivation from a kind of physical delight in making their bodies perform, in pushing themselves past their own physical limits. Similarly, to be a hacker you have to get a basic thrill from solving problems, sharpening your skills, and exercising your intelligence.

If you aren't the kind of person that feels this way naturally, you'll need to become one in order to make it as a hacker. Otherwise you'll find your hacking energy is sapped by distractions like sex, money, and social approval.

(You also have to develop a kind of faith in your own learning capacity — a belief that even though you may not know all of what you need to solve a problem, if you tackle just a piece of it and learn from that, you'll learn enough to solve the next piece — and so on, until you're done.)

2. No problem should ever have to be solved twice.

Creative brains are a valuable, limited resource. They shouldn't be wasted on re-inventing the wheel when there are so many fascinating new problems waiting out there.

To behave like a hacker, you have to believe that the thinking time of other hackers is precious — so much so that it's almost a moral duty for you to share information, solve problems and then give the solutions away just so other hackers can solve new problems instead of having to perpetually re-address old ones.

Note, however, that "No problem should ever have to be solved twice." does not imply that you have to consider all existing solutions sacred, or that there is only one right solution to any given problem. Often, we learn a lot about the problem that we didn't know before by studying the first cut at a solution. It's OK, and often necessary, to decide that we can do better. What's not OK is artificial technical, legal, or institutional barriers (like closed-source code) that prevent a good solution from being re-used and force people to re-invent wheels.

(You don't have to believe that you're obligated to give all your creative product away, though the hackers that do are the ones that get most respect from other hackers. It's consistent with hacker values to sell enough of it to keep you in food and rent and computers. It's fine to use your hacking skills to support a family or even get rich, as long as you don't forget your loyalty to your art and your fellow hackers while doing it.)

3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.

Hackers (and creative people in general) should never be bored or have to drudge at stupid repetitive work, because when this happens it means they aren't doing what only they can do — solve new problems. This wastefulness hurts everybody. Therefore boredom and drudgery are not just unpleasant but actually evil.

To behave like a hacker, you have to believe this enough to want to automate away the boring bits as much as possible, not just for yourself but for everybody else (especially other hackers).

(There is one apparent exception to this. Hackers will sometimes do things that may seem repetitive or boring to an observer as a mind-clearing exercise, or in order to acquire a skill or have some particular kind of experience you can't have otherwise. But this is by choice — nobody who can think should ever be forced into a situation that bores them.)

4. Freedom is good.

Hackers are naturally anti-authoritarian. Anyone who can give you orders can stop you from solving whatever problem you're being fascinated by — and, given the way authoritarian minds work, will generally find some appallingly stupid reason to do so. So the authoritarian attitude has to be fought wherever you find it, lest it smother you and other hackers.

(This isn't the same as fighting all authority. Children need to be guided and criminals restrained. A hacker may agree to accept some kinds of authority in order to get something he wants more than the time he spends following orders. But that's a limited, conscious bargain; the kind of personal surrender authoritarians want is not on offer.)

Authoritarians thrive on censorship and secrecy. And they distrust voluntary cooperation and information-sharing — they only like ‘cooperation’ that they control. So to behave like a hacker, you have to develop an instinctive hostility to censorship, secrecy, and the use of force or deception to compel responsible adults. And you have to be willing to act on that belief.

5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.

To be a hacker, you have to develop some of these attitudes. But copping an attitude alone won't make you a hacker, any more than it will make you a champion athlete or a rock star. Becoming a hacker will take intelligence, practice, dedication, and hard work.

Therefore, you have to learn to distrust attitude and respect competence of every kind. Hackers won't let posers waste their time, but they worship competence — especially competence at hacking, but competence at anything is valued. Competence at demanding skills that few can master is especially good, and competence at demanding skills that involve mental acuteness, craft, and concentration is best.

If you revere competence, you'll enjoy developing it in yourself — the hard work and dedication will become a kind of intense play rather than drudgery. That attitude is vital to becoming a hacker.

more...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#what_is

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:57 pm 
Posting Freak

The Early Hackers

The beginnings of the hacker culture as we know it today can be conveniently dated to 1961, the year MIT acquired the first PDP-1. The Signals and Power committee of MIT's Tech Model Railroad Club adopted the machine as their favorite tech-toy and invented programming tools, slang, and an entire surrounding culture that is still recognizably with us today. These early years have been examined in the first part of Steven Levy's book Hackers [Levy] .

MIT's computer culture seems to have been the first to adopt the term `hacker'. The Tech Model Railroad Club's hackers became the nucleus of MIT's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the world's leading center of AI research into the early 1980s. Their influence was spread far wider after 1969, the first year of the ARPANET.

The ARPANET was the first transcontinental, high-speed computer network. It was built by the Defense Department as an experiment in digital communications, but grew to link together hundreds of universities and defense contractors and research laboratories. It enabled researchers everywhere to exchange information with unprecedented speed and flexibility, giving a huge boost to collaborative work and tremendously increasing both the pace and intensity of technological advance.

But the ARPANET did something else as well. Its electronic highways brought together hackers all over the U.S. in a critical mass; instead of remaining in isolated small groups each developing their own ephemeral local cultures, they discovered (or re-invented) themselves as a networked tribe.

The first intentional artifacts of the hacker culture --- the first slang lists, the first satires, the first self-conscious discussions of the hacker ethic --- all propagated on the ARPANET in its early years. In particular, the first version of the Jargon File developed as a cross-net collaboration during 1973-1975. This slang dictionary became one of the culture's defining documents. It was eventually published as "The Hacker's Dictionary" in 1983; that first version is out of print, but a revised and expanded version is New Hacker's Dictionary [Raymond] .

Hackerdom flowered at the universities connected to the net, especially (though not exclusively) in their computer science departments. MIT's AI Lab was first among equals from the late 1960s. But Stanford University's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL) and Carnegie-Mellon University (CMU) became nearly as important. All were thriving centers of computer science and AI research. All attracted bright people who contributed great things to the hacker culture, on both the technical and folkloric levels.

To understand what came later, though, we need to take another look at the computers themselves; because the Lab's rise and its eventual fall were both driven by waves of change in computing technology.

Since the days of the PDP-1, hackerdom's fortunes had been woven together with Digital Equipment Corporation's PDP series of minicomputers. DEC pioneered commercial interactive computing and time-sharing operating systems. Because their machines were flexible, powerful, and relatively cheap for the era, lots of universities bought them.

Cheap timesharing was the medium the hacker culture grew in, and for most of its lifespan the ARPANET was primarily a network of DEC machines. The most important of these was the PDP-10, first released in 1967. The 10 remained hackerdom's favorite machine for almost fifteen years; TOPS-10 (DEC's operating system for the machine) and MACRO-10 (its assembler) are still remembered with nostalgic fondness in a great deal of slang and folklore.

MIT, though it used the same PDP-10s as everyone else, took a slightly different path; they rejected DEC's software for the PDP-10 entirely and built their own operating system, the fabled ITS.

ITS stood for `Incompatible Timesharing System' which gives one a pretty good fix on the MIT hackers' attitude. They wanted it their way. Fortunately for all, MIT's people had the intelligence to match their arrogance. ITS, quirky and eccentric and occasionally buggy though it always was, hosted a brilliant series of technical innovations and still arguably holds the record for time-sharing system in longest continuous use.

ITS itself was written in assembler, but many ITS projects were written in the AI language LISP. LISP was far more powerful and flexible than any other language of its day; in fact, it is still a better design than most languages of today, twenty-five years later. LISP freed ITS's hackers to think in unusual and creative ways. It was a major factor in their successes, and remains one of hackerdom's favorite languages.

Many of the ITS culture's technical creations are still alive today; the EMACS program editor is perhaps the best-known. And much of ITS's folklore is still `live' to hackers, as one can see in the Jargon File.

SAIL and CMU weren't asleep, either. Many of the cadre of hackers that grew up around SAIL's PDP-10 later became key figures in the development of the personal computer and today's window/icon/mouse software interfaces. Meanwhile hackers at CMU were doing the work that would lead to the first practical large-scale applications of expert systems and industrial robotics.

Another important node of the culture was XEROX PARC, the famed Palo Alto Research Center. For more than a decade, from the early 1970s into the mid-1980s, PARC yielded an astonishing volume of groundbreaking hardware and software innovations. The modern mice, windows, and icons style of software interface was invented there. So was the laser printer, and the local-area network; and PARC's series of D machines anticipated the powerful personal computers of the 1980s by a decade. Sadly, these prophets were without honor in their own company; so much so that it became a standard joke to describe PARC as a place characterized by developing brilliant ideas for everyone else. Their influence on hackerdom was pervasive.

The ARPANET and the PDP-10 cultures grew in strength and variety throughout the 1970s. The facilities for electronic mailing lists that had been used to foster cooperation among continent-wide special-interest groups were increasingly also used for more social and recreational purposes. DARPA deliberately turned a blind eye to all the technically `unauthorized' activity; it understood that the extra overhead was a small price to pay for attracting an entire generation of bright young people into the computing field.

Perhaps the best-known of the `social' ARPANET mailing lists was the SF-LOVERS list for science-fiction fans; it is still very much alive today, in fact, on the larger `Internet' that ARPANET evolved into. But there were many others, pioneering a style of communication that would later be commercialized by for-profit time-sharing services like CompuServe, GEnie and Prodigy (and later still dominated by AOL).

Your historian first became involved with the hacker culture in 1977 through the early ARPANET and science-fiction fandom. From then onward, I personally witnessed and participated in many of the changes described here.

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/hacker-hi ... ory-3.html

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 pm 

A hacker is a very smart citizen, hacking through a relatively simple defense mechanism; but we must be very simple human beings transforming a very complicated world of endless possibilities. And the way is not breaking into it but not going with it and do something entirely different by the way you hold your glass or address another. That is transformation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:47 pm 
Posting Freak

Anonymous Unleashes Coordinated Attack Against Governments, Law Enforcement

Anonymous is on the move. The hacker group has claimed credit for coordinated attacks and leaks against the U.S. government and international law enforcement agencies Friday. According to Twitter accounts associated with the group of “hacktivists,” more activity can be expected throughout the day.

Anonymous released a call between the FBI and Scotland Yard regarding a joint effort in a cybercrime case. The case is tied to investigations in New York, Baltimore and Ireland, according to The Guardian. Anonymous posted the recording online for public access with some names censored from the tape but a later leak included the names and contact information of the alleged participants.

Anonymous members also took credit for defacing the Boston Police Department’s website which, at time of writing, displays a proxy page. The altered page has an “#antisec” header, a rap video titled Sound of Da Police, and this message:

“Is that it? Hell no, there is plenty more mayhem to deliver for this #F—FBIFriday. Do you remember a few months ago when #antisec attaked the Boston Police and released hundred of passwords in retaliation for the brutality against Occupy Boston? They clearly ignored our warnings, because not only did they raid the camp again and kicked protesters off of public parks, but they also sent undercover TSA agents to assualt and attempt to steal from some organizers. So you get your kicks beating protesters? That’s OK; we get kicks defacing and rm’n your websites – again. BDNNews.com, the “Boston Poice Department Virtual Community” also fell to the swift merciless veangeance of the hive. Do you really want to step to this??”

Anonymous members also took credit for downing the Greek government’s Ministry of Justice website.

http://mashable.com/2012/02/03/anonymous-attack/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 pm 
Posting Freak

FBI HACKED by Anonymous - Biggest Online Attack Ever - Cyber War 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDtjoNq2 ... re=related

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 pm 
Posting Freak

ANONYMOUS: Message to the US Armed Forces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4NY0Tz ... re=related

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm 
Posting Freak

Anonymous hacks into phone call between FBI and Scotland Yard
Investigators can be heard discussing joint inquiry into cybercrime in 15-minute call released on the internet

Hackers from the group Anonymous have broadcast a private conference call between the FBI and Scotland Yard exposing details of an international cybercrime investigation, the FBI has confirmed.

The FBI and Scotland Yard admitted that the security of the call had been breached.

Investigators can be heard discussing their joint inquiry into a cybercrime investigation going through the British courts, and linked to investigations in New York, Baltimore, Los Angeles and Ireland.

It is understood the breach occurred at the US end of the call. As the news broke, Anonymous began taunting the FBI, asking if it was curious about how the group could keep reading the bureau's internal communications.

Investigators can be heard on the broadcast talking about named individuals who have been charged in the UK with hacking into the website of the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

In one lengthy exchange, the British contingent can be heard discussing a 15-year-old hacker as a "wannabe" and a "pain in the bum". The 15-minute call has been broadcast on the internet, but the names of some of the individuals being sought have been bleeped out by the hackers.

Scotland Yard said: "We are aware of the video which relates to an FBI conference call involving a PCeU [member of the e-crime unit] representative. The matter is being investigated by the FBI.

"At this stage no operational risks to the MPS have been identified; however, we continue to carry out a full assessment. We are not prepared to discuss [it] further."

The conference call was one that appears to be held weekly between officers from the Metropolitan police's e-crime unit and the FBI in New York and Los Angeles.

The law enforcement agencies are working together on a cybercrime investigation involving teenagers and young people from the UK, Ireland, Germany and the US, it is understood.

Six people are going through the British courts charged in connection with hacking into computers belonging to Soca. They include Ryan Cleary, a British teenager who is charged with five offences of hacking websites. Cleary, 19, from Wickford, Essex, was arrested in June last year. His arrest was linked to a series of cyber-attacks by a group called LulzSec.

Cleary was charged over cyber-attacks against British-based targets. He is due to appear at Southwark crown court with his co-accused, Jake Davis, on 11 May. Four other individuals, are due to appear at the same court in March as part of the same investigation. Cleary has been charged with three attacks – on the London-based International Federation of the Phonographic Industry in November 2010, the British Phonographic Industry in October 2010, and on Soca.

The method he is alleged to have used is a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against all three websites. He was also charged with constructing a botnet, a network of infected computers that can be used remotely to direct attacks.

On the intercepted call, the British police officers joke with their FBI counterparts early in the conversation while they wait for others to join, and are heard making fun of Sheffield - where the Acpo cybercrime conference is being held next week. "It's a khazi - not exactly a jewel in England's crown," says the British detective. The call, which took place nearly a fortnight ago – it is understood – includes a conversation about the appearance of Cleary and Davis at Southwark crown court last Friday.

The FBI official expresses his gratitude to the British officers for "being flexible" and co-ordinating with them. "New York appreciates it," the FBI operative says.

In response, the British detective says: "We have cocked things up in the past."

The British detective then gives the FBI details of a 15-year-old who was arrested in the UK before Christmas. He calls the 15-year-old a "wannabe" and is connected with two other teenagers who are known as CSL sec "Cant Stop Laughing Security".

"He is just a pain in the bum," the officer says. The call ends with all parties agreeing to talk again the following Monday.

The events leading to the arrest of Cleary involved an investigation by British police and the FBI. The bureau's involvement, plus the nature of the targets, raised the prospect of Washington seeking the teenager's extradition to the US.

The conference call reveals that two other individuals are to be arrested in the future. It makes clear that the investigation is complex, stretching across international boundaries and focusing on teenage hackers in many different cases.

Karen Todner, a lawyer for Cleary, said the recording could be "incredibly sensitive" and warned such data breaches had the potential to derail the police's work. If they haven't secured their email it could potentially prejudice the investigation," she told Associated Press.Anonymous is a collection of internet enthusiasts, pranksters and activists whose targets have included the Church of Scientology, the music industry, and financial companies such as Visa and MasterCard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... tland-yard

Video...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/vi ... yard-video

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:48 am 
Posting Freak

Hunting Nazis: Anonymous snares Ron Paul in Operation Blitzkrieg

Quote:
As noted in the announcement, Ron Paul has a documented history of associating with and promoting white supremacist ideology. In the 1980's and 1990's Paul published a series of newsletters written in the first person and published under his name that contained explicit racist, homophobic and antisemitic sentiment.

Paul claims he did not write or approve of the racist, antisemitic and homophobic material appearing in the string of controversial newsletters published under his name. Yet many find it hard to believe that Paul would sell and profit from a newsletter bearing his name without being aware of and approving of the content.

This new revelation will only serve to confirm the widely held suspicion that Paul is more closely aligned with American neo-Nazis and other white supremacists than he and his supporters are willing to admit.

http://www.examiner.com/anonymous-in-na ... blitzkrieg

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:51 am 
Posting Freak

Anonymous hacks FTC in retaliation for SOPA, PIPA, ACTA

http://www.examiner.com/anonymous-in-na ... -pipa-acta

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:53 am 
Posting Freak

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous deletes CBS: Operation Megaupload continues

"In a powerful and unique display of virtual prowess Anonymous hacktivists deleted the entire CBS website. The website went down late Sunday morning, and was off line for approximately 20 minutes."

http://www.examiner.com/anonymous-in-na ... -continues

Anonymous is growing all the time and globally too.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 am 
Posting Freak

Tech Gear | February 10, 2012

CIA Tango Down: Anonymous strikes again

"Anonymous takes down the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
On Friday, the website of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was taken off line by hacktivists associated with the nebulous and notorious international Internet collective known as Anonymous."

http://www.examiner.com/anonymous-in-na ... ikes-again

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm 
Posting Freak

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Posting Freak

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Posting Freak

Dutch Parliament Rejects ACTA On Human Rights Violations

The controversial ACTA treaty is quickly losing support in Europe.

After a handful of countries already backed off last week, The Netherlands and Bulgaria put their decisions of hold today.

A majority of the Parliament is against the ratification of ACTA.

They only intend to change this position if there’s irrefutable evidence that it doesn’t violate basic human rights.

Right now this is certainly not the case, as professors Douwe Korff and Ian Brown examined ACTA’s compatibility with human rights and concluded:

“Overall, ACTA tilts the balance of IPR protection manifestly unfairly towards one group of beneficiaries of the right to property, IP right holders, and unfairly against others.”

“It equally disproportionately interferes with a range of other fundamental rights, and provides or allows for the determination of such rights in procedures that fail to allow for the taking into account of the different, competing interests, but rather, stack all the weight at one end. “

“This makes the entire Agreement, in our opinion, incompatible with fundamental European human rights instruments and -standards.”

And there is more bad news for ACTA supporters.

In Bulgaria, where more than 10,000 people took the streets in Sofia last Saturday to protest the treaty, Economy Minister Traicho Traikov announced that the country will not ratify ACTA before other EU countries have made up their minds.

“Our country will not undertake any actions, including a ratification of the agreement, until the stance of the other EU member states is made clear,” the Minister said earlier today.

The caving support and doubt among governments makes is less likely that ACTA will pass, although it’s still to early to say something conclusive.

After Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States signed ACTA last October, Europe is the final hurdle to take before it goes into effect.

http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-parliamen ... ns-120214/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm 
Posting Freak

Massive Street Protests Wage War On ACTA Anti-Piracy Treaty

The world is witnessing the largest offline protest against copyright legislation today. Massive demonstrations against the draconian anti-piracy treaty ACTA are spanning four continents, with protests in more than 200 European cities alone. Hundreds of thousands of people are taking to the streets to prevent their countries and the European Parliament from putting the free Internet at risk by ratifying ACTA,

Last month the European Union officially signed the controversial “anti-piracy” trade agreement ACTA.

The EU followed in the footsteps of Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States, who already signed it last October. This brings ACTA a step closer to passing, but individual EU member states and the European Parliament still have to ratify the treaty later this year.

To prevent this from happening, hundreds of thousands of people across the world are taking to the streets today, and millions more are expected to do their part online. In Europe demonstrations are being held in more than 200 cities, the largest in Sofia, Bulgaria, with 10,000 participants.

These staggering numbers amount to the greatest offline protest against any type of copyright legislation, ever.

Although ACTA has been discussed for four years already, it is only recently that the public got involved on such a broad scale. In part, the increased attention for ACTA has been sparked by the historic SOPA/PIPA protest last month, where Wikipedia, Reddit and many others blacked out their websites.

Thus far the anti-ACTA protests, which started in Poland a few weeks ago, haven’t been without result.

Several countries that were intended to ratify the treaty, have put their decision on hold. Poland was the first to cave in, followed by Slovakia, Czech Republic, Latvia, and yesterday Europe’s largest economy Germany backpedaled as well.

Within the European Parliament, whose members will vote on the ratification ACTA later this year, there is also a healthy resistance. In a guest article for TorrentFreak, parliament member Marietje Schaake urged fellow politicians to not let copyright law repress innovation.

“ACTA must not be passed. Let’s focus on reform to allow for the opportunities of the internet to bloom, instead of allowing outdated business models to limit the free market, and to criminalize audiences,” she wrote.

Today’s demonstrations (videos) show that there’s a massive opposition against ACTA, and that hundreds of thousands of people are willing to take to the streets to defend a free and open Internet.

Those who want to take action against ACTA but can’t join one of the demonstrations, can write their representatives through the Kill ACTA site.

http://torrentfreak.com/massive-street- ... ty-120211/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm 
Posting Freak

Hollywood threatens Obama over SOPA

If you see the White House invaded by aliens, blown up by laser beams or bombed by terrorists in any of the big summer blockbusters this year, consider it a subtle hint to the Oval Office by way of Hollywood.

After US President Barack Obama demanded revamped provisions in the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, Los Angeles film executives are rescinding their support of the commander-in-chief.

While Hollywood hot-shots were in the past major contributors to the 2008 campaign for Barack Obama, movie execs are heated up over the presidents halting of SOPA. On the West Coast, filmmakers and affiliated are insisting that the move is a major blow to the movie industry and it will only further encourage an Internet already ripe with pirated motion pictures.

Under the proposed SOPA legislation, both websites and Web surfers involved in sharing copyrighted material would be imposed with hefty fines and imprisonment, imposing a government-sanctioned firewall of sorts to shut down a large chunk of the Web. Advocates for an open Internet have protested in droves against both SOPA and its sister legislation, the Protect IP Act, or PIPA, and a massive campaign against them both on Wednesday this week brought thousands of websites down to show the impact the laws could have. Search engine giant Google warned users of the acts’ implications on Wednesday, and both Wikipedia and Reddit turned their sites black for the day. On Twitter, users used the microblogging sight to tweet opposition to SOPA and for a while the term “Save [Censored]” became the top trending topic in America, as passed legislation would no-doubt cripple the online adult entertainment industry.

Although Obama has won the favor of much of Silicon Valley by striking down SOPA for now, downstate in the Hollywood Hills, executives are furious that the president has put his foot down on the legislation, potentially allowing for the sharing and pirating of films to continue endlessly.

In Los Angeles, execs are fearful of the consequences and are revoking their support. For Obama’s re-election campaign, that could be one big dent in his 2012 fundraising efforts out west.

President Obama has managed to garner substantial support from the Internet and computer tech industry, although the Democratic National Committee has, as of September 30, 2011, received around $1 million more from the Hollywood and entertainment industry than their Silicon Valley counterparts. Among those that are at the top of the donor list are DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenerg, who personally has raised more than $500,000 for Obama’s re-election so far and has contributed $2 million to a super PAC with similar viewpoints.

If the backlash already aimed at Barack is any indication, however, the amount in the money well might begin to dry up.

“We just feel very let down by the administration and Obama for not supporting us,” one anonymous movie exec tells the Hollywood-geared website Deadline.

Another executive, who is identified only as a well known movie mogul and a supporter of the administration until now adds, “At least let him remain neutral and not go against it until we can get the legislation right. But Obama went against it. I’m personally not going to support him anymore and not give a dime anymore.”

With Hollywood funding not just Obama but the Democrats as a whole, a rift is dividing the president’s own party as lawmakers are forced to take sides with anti-SOPA supporters and the entertainment industry.

Former Democratic Senator Chris Dodd campaigned for Obama in 2008 but today heads the Motion Picture Association of America. He called the blackout on Wednesday waged by anti-SOPA advocates “the height of irresponsibility” when speaking to MSNBC and equated it to children screaming until they hold their breath.

Others within the Hollywood elite, including Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, have in the past donated large sums to the Obama campaign, which hosted three separate fundraisers at the Sony Pictures movie studio in Los Angeles before.

While 19 US Senators flipped their stance regarding SOPA on Wednesday alone and became opponents of the bill, the vast majority of them are Republicans. Democrats, on the other hand, are largely in support of both SOPA and PIPA, with Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) personally raking in almost one million dollars from supporters of the legislation. In a report published by the Raw Story on Thursday, the top 20 beneficiaries of special interest money in favor of PIPA doubles as a roster of some of the left’s biggest names, including Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Patrick Leahy, among others. In all, writes the website, the total amount of money handed over to the Democrats on the list of supporters of the act from special interests favoring SOPA amounts to more than $7 million. Anti-SOPA lobbyists, in comparison, have only contributed $807,502 to those very same Democrats.

“God knows how much money we’ve given to Obama and the Democrats and yet they’re not supporting our interests,” another anonymous Hollywood insider tells Deadline. “There’s been no greater supporters of him than we’ve been from the first day and the first fundraisers continuing until he was elected. We all were pleased. And, at its heart institutionally, Hollywood supports the Democrats. Now we need the administration to support us. This is a very important time for Hollywood.”

The Internet and computer industry has supported the Democratic Party to the tune of $52 million since 2007, which the Center for Responsive Politics says is up $12 million from the period of 2001 to 2006.

In regards to the week’s blackout, a senior Democratic congressional staffer close to the issue tells the National Journal, “Before this happened, the perception around here was that those who are in favor of ever-increasing copyright protections always won.” Because of Wednesday’s blackout, adds the staffer, “This may shift people’s expectations. It’s hard to say how much, but I think in a way that we haven’t seen in a long time. Folks on the Hill are realizing that there are a lot of people out there, and not just tech companies, that care about copyright issues.”

“This is something that could be repeated, but it couldn’t be repeated on just any issue. It resonates with people in having the freedom to go on the Internet and not be censored,” Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a Democrat from California and an opponent of the bills, adds.

http://rt.com/usa/news/hollywood-obama- ... pport-229/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 pm 
Posting Freak

Angry geeks fire back at SOPA supporters

Hell hath no fury like a computer nerd scorned. Activists against a legislation that will severely censor the Web are waging a war with supporters of the Stop Online Piracy Act and their strength is quickly swelling in numbers.

Both Congress and the Internet have been abuzz lately with the Stop Only Piracy Act, or SOPA, a bill which will allow the US government to erect a firewall across the Web and largely limit what websites are accessible to American people. While the debates on Capitol Hill might be bit boring and are largely sponsored by the millions of lobbying dollars sent in by SOPA supporters, the Internet is offering a no-holds-barred battleground to make sure that the bill doesn’t make it to legislation.

Advocates against SOPA are tackling the act but taking it where they know best: the World Wide Web.

Lists are circulating around the Internet advertising the list of organizations supporting the SOPA legislation, allowing advocates for an open Internet to know who the bad guy is in this battle for free speech and online access. With the recent approval of the National Defense Authorization Act, hackers quickly dived deep into the Internet to begin prying out personal details from supporters of the law that allows the US government to indefinitely detain and torture Americans without charge. But while a blow to constitutional rights is one thing, taking away the Internet is a whole new can of worms.

As threats of SOPA being passed increasing day by day, activists against the act have unleashed largely on its supporters already.

The website Reddit.com is helping organize a campaign to crush the code by encouraging online entrepreneurs to move their personal websites off of GoDaddy.com, the largest domain registrar on the Web who also happens to be a supporter of SOPA. On Thursday this week, one user asked the Reddit audience, “I'm suggesting Dec 29th as move your domain away from GoDaddy day because of their support of SOPA. Who's with me?” In less than a day, the post received early 3,000 comments and the support from other activists across the Web.

One person who has signed on for the the down-with-GoDaddy campaign is Ben Huh, the Internet guru that helped bring the “I Can Has Cheezburger” meme to the mainstream. He tweeted on Thursday that he will move all 1,000 domains owned by his company, Cheezburger, off of GoDaddy lest the registrar revokes their support.

“SOPA is cancer to the Free Web,” Huh writes on Twitter.

Go Daddy seemed to think otherwise, however, and originally said that SOPA will only help the Web. “We are grateful that this Committee agrees that it’s time for increased enforcement action because U.S. businesses are hurting, and those of us in the Internet ecosystem are in a unique position to help,” the company told Congress in an official statement last month.

Other domain name registrars don’t agree though and are offering discounted rates for people that switch providers, encouraging them to make the move by using coupon codes such as “NODADDY,” “BYEBYEGD” and “NOSOPA.”

As the heat was added to the fire, GoDaddy cracked on Friday, finally revoking support for SOPA."In changing its position, Go Daddy remains steadfast in its promise to support security and stability of the Internet," the registrar writes on Friday.The company's general counsel, Christine Jones, writes that "Go Daddy has always fought to preserve the intellectual property rights of third parties, and will continue to do so in the future," and the company has removed blog postings on their site of SOPA legislation that it had originally been in favor of.

As RT reported earlier this week, others have identified ways to bypass some of the Internet filtering that could be created if SOPA is passed. Others have simply offered up messages online that they hope to go viral. Singer Leah Kauffman’s “Firewall (Don't Let Our Government Ruin The Internets)” video has exploded online and a campaign on Twitter to crush SOPA has caused a tremendous buzz as well. But if you don’t think the legislation will matter all that much to you, look no further than the online porno industry.

YouPorn, one of the top-100 most visited websites in the world, has published a post to their site called “Stop US Gov’t From Censoring Your Internet; Stop S.O.P.A!” In it, the administrators of the popular [Censored] site warn their immense audience, “If passed, SOPA will destroy the Internet as we know it.”

“Not only will the bill hamper if not utterly destroy countless technological innovations, it could spell the end of online competition, and mean the beginning of massive online monopolies run by the biggest corporations in the entertainment industry,” adds a post on the YouPorn blog. “Not to mention the fact that any pre-existing site (like YouPorn) could be blocked from all of North America by said Government or Corporations at the drop of a hat, with or without merit.”

“What it really comes down to is: Are you willing to put absolute control of the Internet into the hands of the US Government and a select few entertainment industry corporations? I know I’m not, YouPorn sure as hell isn’t, the entire PornHub Network isn’t, and the hundreds of thousands of companies and people that have joined the cause? You can bet your ass they don’t.”

http://rt.com/usa/news/sopa-internet-online-web-547/

Cathedral - CS&N

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next