WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: How does your garden Grow ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:49 am 
Posting Freak

starduster wrote:
Shayalana wrote:
Thank you star! I love this thread of yours and look so forward to hearing about your experiences on your land. That tonic sounds wonderful, think I'll try it. I have rediscovered Kombucha and have so many scobys I don't know what to do with. It's excellent for introducing natural gut flora into your system to aid in digestion and health. It is said to be a cancer preventive as well as so many other health benefits. I love it. It's fascinating creating scobys and so simple. You start with 3 simple inexpensive ingredients and they synchronize together to create this awesome life form, an alive probiotic. I was buying it from a health food store but the cost can be prohibitive after awhile so I decided to make my own. It costs pennies to make yourself. The hardest part is trying to find people to use the scobys to start their own with. I created my own first scoby due to not having access to any otherwise. All the scobys I have now are babies of that first one and they are sooo beautiful to me. I look at them and marvel at the lifeform they are. Anyway, I need to give some away for sharing is the spirit of Kombucha as well. For those interested. Keep sharing with us star please. :? }

that sounds great! never tried it ... the (liquid) minerals I used to take were so bad tasting, I never tried any other "liquids" - ha, but this sounds really good - I've been making my own yogurt ... they don't sell "organic" - and its cheap and simple - and omg yummy - and this sounds like just what I need - those pro-biotics have gotten way expensive ... and after my treatment of LD, I really need them - the super anti-biotics they gave me for a year and a half, absolutely killed my natural "flora" ... this sounds perfect ... do you have the recipe ? or do you need a live "starter" - I get my yogurt starter in power form from Amazon (lol) more info please, thanks for sharing this

PM me and I will give you some details and am delighted to help because it is sooo easy to make and inexpensive when not 'marketing' it.

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:00 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
I need to make some collages of the critters, but in the mean time, here's a picture I took on the day "Mexico" arrived, that I took back early in October to send to Yanka - no one even knew it was happening, til the trade was made - but this little guy loved his new digs immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:19 am 
Posting Freak

Ahhh...sweet! Is that Mina? She's lovely and is eyeballing the baby bull. He's cute! So Yanka is almost 11. Wow! Where did the time go? I remember your pics of orbs and her when she was 4 and 5 years old. My Grand-daughter is 4 and is a real hoot. She has a very wild imagination and we play so well together. She's very creative . You can give her the most mundane ordinary object and she will find some use for it in ways most wouldn't think of. We have so much fun together where she is the leader and I am her sidekick. She can be pretty bossy sometimes. LOL. BTW how is the little guy, Yanka's brother? Last pic of him was of her holding him as a baby.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 pm 
Posting Freak

ja, Bianca turned 11 at the end of Feb - with her mom - I am surrounded by Pisces women (both my daughters and now Yanks) which is not a bad thing for a Virgo who tends to get along with all the "bosses" - most of my friends, growing up were "fish" people HA - so I just let them do their thang and hang on for the (well organized) ride :mrgreen:

Prince Quince, turned 3 in November - he is big for his age (like her other kids, weighed almost ten pounds at birth) - smart and really a happy little man who loves grammy's farm- and looks just like my dad ... only with Hispanic traits (dark hair, skin and eyes) - he's going to be a lady killer - for sure... so Crystal got the five kids she wanted, even if it took two marrages and 42 years :mrgreen:
The Oldest (Wil) 24, got married last July to his HS sweetheart - Brad is 22 and still living at home, or at his gf's house, off and on, and Sarah moved to Boston (after spending almost a year in OK) - to hang out with the East Coast part of the family ... she turned 20 this year ... and gave up the easter-egg hair colors - and is finally working on a career after five years of "couch surfing and mooching" we are all relieved, she finally seems happy - even if she chooses to be a "transgender" hipster for a while she is finally supporting herself . of course they are all Bernnie supporters (snicker)

Moo has grow some, since he got here, but he did have some problems adjusting to his new status as "only cow" - I tried putting the billy in there with him, since that is where he grew up and they love playing together - but billy (we call him "peg-leg Pete" because one of his legs is all brown and looks wooden) is not happy to spend the night with him and bawls so loud, I just can't sleep ... After spending most of his life hiding from the herd, and no mommy here to protect him - Moo is quite shy --- he was a "mistake" and that's how he ended up being the only "white cow" in the herd of all black cows - and got bullied and abused by the others from birth... his mom- somehow (again mistakenly) got preggy on her own (she must be a cow-hottie) - this time by a registered angus bull (which she is too) - way too soon, and in order to give the (high dollar) embryo max advantage, Moo had to be weaned ... way to early ... he was just barely nibbling grass, when I got him, and had never eaten "feed" so it was - touch and go for a while - during the (digestive) adjustment period ... and he came with a skin problem ("nerves" the vet said) and his owner was just going to take him to the sale because he needed more attention than he had time for ... which is how I happened to get such a great deal (calves usually start at $750- I was asking S200ea for my billies because they were so exceptional) - but I fixed the skin issue, right away, with food grade- Diametreious (sp?) Soil in his water, and directly on the bald spots where he had rubbed off all his hair ...that cured him -along with the fact that he wasn't being abused any more- and he healed up quick (much to the vet's surprise - without antibiotics) - Mina has skin issues too (most white horses do (get sunburned easily) - so I had it handy) and she has to wear a hat, most of the summer (won't come out of the barn until I put it on lol) to protect her sensitive blue eyes ... That "soil" is really great - as a bug repellent too - on animals and plants - I sometimes drink it myself, or put it in my bath ... its' amazing stuff

all his hair has grown back nicely and he adjusted to the feed's, raw grains, and started eating hay with gusto- within a week ... and put on some weight, after I got rid of the worms (they're in the soil naturally and everyone gets wormed including cats and dog, twice a year) as you will see in more recent pics - he is good and fat now... he's a happy fellow and he lets me pet him now too... loves to get his soft neck scratched ... but I am still leery of his size - when he swings his massive head around - even without the horns, he can do some real damage - and already tore the walls on my hay shed down - so I don't want him anywhere near my little flimsy barn ... so other than "play dates" with Pete the Billy - he's stuck with the turkeys and socializing through the fence ... eventually I will put Pete back in that field, with him, but I am waiting for it to warm up ... he's a good billy, very friendly and not aggressive with me, cause Yanks spent a lot of time 'taming' him when he was a kid and he keeps his distance after his enthusiastic initial greeting - but he's got those huge horns now, so I keep an eye on him, cause he's a natural bully too (which is why he and Moo get along so well at this age - they spend hours just bashing brains and romping around ) Pete has gotta go back into solitary, when the kids come, and he is getting to be such a pain to Mina, cause he likes to stand under her and scratch her belly - but now that he has found all her tender spots - he is using this knowledge to bully her too ... I'm just waiting for the day when she gives him a swift kick - and sends him sprawling ... but it is just not in her nature, to be mean.

I read that Longhorns are slow growers ... but shape wise, he's built like an Angus (short and wide) - but he is colored like a Long Horn ... both of these breeds are famous for their lean beef - but the Angus grow much faster - so we'll just have to wait and see how he matures - LH are pretty gentle - but Angus are naturally "wild" - Good thing is, that this cross bred variety is in high demand (locally) - and if I can let him grow to maturity (1 1/2 yrs) he may fetch up to 3 grand (if he "proves" fertile) ... I may not be able to butcher him, after raising him - what's not to love - and am not really equipped to house a full grown bull or go into the breeding business - and may just sell him, or trade him for something I didn't raise - to put in the freezer ... I just hate it when I know my food's name... makes it hard to swallow, no matter how tender and tasty it is :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:25 pm 
Posting Freak

well, comparing pics, I can see how he's grown ... prob another hundred pounds in the last six month - been pour'n feed into him - cows waste a lot of hay... you can barely see where he was bald (behind his ear) and stil has a patch of "baby hair" left If you look real close at the horizon line, you can see the "windmills" - they erected a "wind - farm" last years, and there is over a hundred of those huge turbines- that blink red lights at night ... like a giant XMAs tree.

here is the "play" ... Mina is the referee, and the turkey's are the audience ... I couldn't find any red-burbon hens and it was too late to raise chicks - so I settled for the native Nargasette (sp) hens I found on craigs'list. These girls can fly and I have found them on my neighbor's barn roof a few times - but they are easily coaxed home ... but it amazes me that they stay in the field with the cow, voluntarily (when they could go any where ... The tom is to heavy to fly, but he roost on the fence post- and hops into my front yard, to wake me in the morning ... and the girls stick with him ... they are the same size, and I was told that they can interbreed - so we'll see what we get from the eggs they are laying

here's my big mama Sunny, guessing she has two on the right side and one on the left ... can hardly wait to see them

ladies in waiting ... Sunny and her kid from last year, Dot(tie) - - you can see how much smaller she is, and why I chose to breed her with a pygmy ...note the single "dot" between her shoulders
Imagepg

Pete - takes the high ground, now that bull has grown, amazing to watch him plow that cow around and how they "lock horns" - it won't be long, though, before MOo is the one pushing the goat around ... boys will be boys --- see his "wooden leg" - hence the name ("peg-leg Pete")

Last edited by starduster on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:36 pm 
Posting Freak

What great pics! What is wonderful about you sharing like this is that it makes the viewer feel like they are there with you on your farm. That's why I want you to keep sharing because I love your story on the farm! Peg-leg Pete the billy goat is not one I would want to contend with if he was mad at me, Moo is taking notice, LOL. Peg-leg Pete looks magnificent in that picture though... Goats can be so entertaining and their milk is like none other, I love goats milk it makes great cheese so much better than any store bought version and the whey from the milk can be used for pickling carrots, quick sauerkraut etc. natural probiotic stuff. Hey...today is the first day of Spring. It snowed here and the temp is not like the last 3 weeks of Spring we were experiencing. LOL. Wow ! I just noticed how big that hen is! What size eggs do you get from her, XXXXXXL!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 pm 
Posting Freak

FINALLY ... Sunny had her kids - by my reckoning, she was two weeks to late - but then, Dot had her triplets TOO ... two weeks early - I assume, so that they could have them on the same day ...

only one little billy, from Sunny's triplets born first ( breach) that needed a little assistance to come into the world - and five Doe's ...
I have really beaten the odds this year ... Bore goats usually produce 80% male kids ... Doe s - typicall bring twice the price - but I'm thinking at this point, I will keep all the doe s this year ...
Dot's little pygmy goats are about half the size of her mom's - but all are healthy and strong ... and it is warm today

Sunny's triplets
Dot's triplets
interesting how one looks just like DOT,(white with brown head) one looks just like their grandpa,(all brown) and one is typically pygmy colored like a little tan faun) - all I care about is if they are healthy, and they are!

this one shows the difference in size ... 'bout half - note the little pygmy's ears stick straight out (snicker)

this was Dot's first breeding (she is one year old last week)- I am so proud of that little goat, and Yank's will just be tickled to death - she wanted to show pygmies in the 4H and now she has three to choose from

so here is my little herd (today) - Spring is not due for another month - but you never know with these guys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 pm 
Posting Freak

Awwwww....they are sooo beautiful and precious! I'm a sucker for baby goats. You get to watch them jump and play and be such a joy to behold! I'm glad for you. Good thing your fences are new, goats can be real escape artists I've had to hunt one down at the neighbors a few times. They let you see where you need to improve the fencing. :lol:

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 pm 
Posting Freak

I invite you to discover "Bush craft" - (there are 35 "episodes") - and they are so informative, and inspiring - for people who appreciate Nature, or need a reason to - I think this goes with this topic - somewhat - giving us a new (global) perspective of Nature, from someone who obviously Loves it ( and taken the time and made the effort to share it) ...I have found, each adveture is worth the time it takes to watch them , they are so rewarding ... it's like being there - as he travels around the world - enhancing his bushcraft skills ... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuSH7ILi2G4&ebc=ANyPxKrEPi_md8XuW2HNTlf4AWJVILp3OvLmK366R6z3WYzDnjyURX94MtYsxg2yupiTlt6o-NQd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:45 am 

What a treat! I will watch all the episodes! Great show! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 am 
Posting Freak

Onyks wrote:
What a treat! I will watch all the episodes! Great show! 8)

I know, huh, he makes you want to go out and eat your yard :lol:
The episode I posted is set in his homeland of England and you can just feel his love for the land ... it will link you to his other vids - all "documentaries" of their own - set in different environments - that give one a whole new perspective of Nature's benevolence ... the skills that he so casually teach almost make you wish someone WOULD EMP the planet - and I love that he "gives back" and is so responsible for his own impact ... introducing us to others who know "the old ways" of making tools, clothes and shelters ... it shows us how the Neanterthal must have lived - and how richly rewarding and satisfying their lives must have been as "hunter/gatherers" before we were altered by the Annunaki technology. There is no doubt in my mind how much our Creator loves us (unconditionally)

nothing on Netflix even compares to what these flicks have to offer for great adventures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:55 am 

Yes, I also enjoyed the England episode! I did not know that the shores of London used to be a forrest, and that Britain had very great forests of old. Nor did I realize how easy it was to gather food at the shores of West Scotland. WOW! Those tools and methods used are much older than the Gregorian Calendar! What a "weird" life the modern world is in comparison to the Neanderthals era, and vice versa! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm 
Posting Freak

Star you may be interested in this, it's called Women Who Farm, and you most definitely are one of them! Check it out!

http://www.overgrowthesystem.com/women- ... e-who-farm

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 am 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
Star you may be interested in this, it's called Women Who Farm, and you most definitely are one of them! Check it out!

http://www.overgrowthesystem.com/women- ... e-who-farm

I have watched several vid's done by women who have "hobby farms" - five acres, is by no stretch of the imagination a farm ... I call my property a "farmette" because it has a barn (snicker) but it doesn't have water or electric hooked up out there - like a real barn, it's a "pole" barn, not much more than a "loafing shed" with walls and doors .

funny thing about me is, I wasn't raised on a farm, the gardens I remember as a child, were back yard gardens in urban settings, and the farm my dad's parents had but they were "retired" and their fields were full of "tung nut" trees not critters... but there was still a barn on their property - and a few chicken - After I moved away from home, my parents bought a farm ... but they didn't really "farm" - farming was a "hobby" - they moved into town after about ten years, and grew some tomatoes ... but mostly flowers.

It all came natural to me - I enjoy doing it - I find it theraputic and satisfying work ... both my girls do it ... maybe it's a "girl-thing"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:36 am 
Posting Freak

Onyks wrote:
Yes, I also enjoyed the England episode! I did not know that the shores of London used to be a forrest, and that Britain had very great forests of old. Nor did I realize how easy it was to gather food at the shores of West Scotland. WOW! Those tools and methods used are much older than the Gregorian Calendar! What a "weird" life the modern world is in comparison to the Neanderthals era, and vice versa! :mrgreen:

well, I wouldn't trade my life, for that of a Neanderthal, even if the climate was fair year round, unless there were lots of hot-springs to soak in - but I did spend two summers living without electricity - it's really not that awful, pumping water, eating food cooked on a wood stove, using the "out-house" ... I remember, mostly, how annoying the bugs were - but I loved the glow of oil lamps ... and the flicering shadows that they caste that made our cabin cozy... made me really appreciate what I had at home... what I have now ... bugs and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:56 am 
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:45 pm 
Posting Freak

and what a difference a day makes ... look at my daffys today

they said it was going to be rain and snow - accumulating to an inch, with three more sat, starting at noon ... no big deal eh? HA - now they are saying we are getting a foot of snow ... and the wind is steady at 40mph, which results in drifts - in my world ... which I have learned to appreciate, because they hold water, and release it slowly - which is what my fields need ...I've been putting down hay, in all the bald spots, seriously, this winter, because it holds moisture, and the dirt down ... add horse turds, filled with seeds that the chickens tear up, and kick around even when they are full - spreading the seeds in the hay, that is full of seeds too ... I have gone "fence happy" with all the snow fences I put up ... I have wooden ones behind the house to keep the snow from laying on the roof, then a wall of the heavy duty plastic ones north of them ... and more on the upper fields ... they keep snow coming from the North, piled up where I want it ... not in a ten foot tunnel just outside my door ... I add more snow/wind fences every year, collecting as much water on the fields as possible - working with nature ... and the berms, that the dept of agraculture, designed to stop erosion ... of this, the most fertile soil in the world, according to the perma -culturist report ... all it needs is water ... and that when humans and nature work together, providing for each others needs ... and it provides our Breath

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:25 pm 
Posting Freak

More pic - taken at noon, to show you that it isn't all play on the farm, on days like this, water has to be hauled by hand ... at least it isn't frozen in the horse trough, so it is a short trip, but them mamas hast to have water to make milk ... and I got them locked up in the barn - to keep the kids safe inside, while the storm rages ... no let-up in the wind as promised, here are some more pics, taking through icy windows ... its really not that cold - and if there wasn't as much wind, it would be great - to get this much moisture, when we need it ...

This is looking outside my front door, towards the goats fields (behind the garage to the right, you can see the fence post) Pete was yelling at me to hurry up with his breakfast ... Moo wouldn't come out - he hates the wind, but he can't resist fresh grass... so he did finally eat some cereal - ignoring goat greed as well as the lions share of the grass ... the Turkeys refuse to "shelter", I don't know how they do it - but they do - I was only able to get them to go in the garage for the worst storm ... and they won't go back ... even when they are covered with ice and snow ... they find some place where the wind is blocked a little, and hunker down ... guess they know it will pass ... rabbits just sleep it off in their holes, and the chickens reluctantly huddle ... these "heritage" critters, seem to have more instinct-ual intelligence than the gmo-ed brands.

this one is looking towards the front yard - all my lawn funiture is covered with a tarp, you can see it drifting in there - to my knowledge, it hasn't stopped snowing since before dawn ... when I fed - there was hardly any drifting or snow ... but it is piling up now - one inch - right

this is looking toward the barn, taken during my retreat indoors - my x-mass wreath is still hanging ... you can barely see the barn from the house ... because of the wind, blowing full force down the drive-way - to keep it clear (snicker)

Mr Brown, is not a happy camper - stuck in the house with five cats (all bigger than him) - is not his idea of fun

ok, I ate my pizza breakfast (lol) and am about to weather the storm with my camera - to give you a peek in the barn (s) and toss the critter some more grass to chew on, instead of causing mischief --- Pete's out there bawling at me to hurry up ... he's so bossy!

Last edited by starduster on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:25 pm 
Posting Freak

Wow just when you think its spring. Its very much like that here too. It could snow and blow anytime. We expect it but know it will clear quickly as well and then we can pretend its Spring again. In the mountians its different though and I would think colder too. Our Rockies are 500 km away.In the Spring when the sun shines more and its just above freezing here, people break out their shorts, t-shirts and sandals. :lol:

P.S. What are the chances of those daffodils surviving that? I hope it turns to rain without freezing. :shock:

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:24 pm 
Posting Freak

OK, I dug my way out ...it is very wet and heavy, but it is not as deep as it looks - or has been (several times this year) ... I love seeing how my "improvements" work or not ... not too worried about the daffys, they can take the cold pretty good ... and they were all in full bloom, so even if the flowers don't come back, the bulbs will benefit... but that bed does get the full force of the wind as it is diverted around the house ... and like you say, it will all be gone (too) quickly (except for the great drifts) ... but as you mentioned at this altitude, most of the moisture comes to us frozen ... right up til June - and ja, the locals all put on shorts when it gets 70 (snicker)

OH, before I forget, I got my scoby delivered on Wed ... I gave it 24 hours to recover, it was pretty mashed, but not torn, and I placed it - with the "starter" tea it was send bathing in, into a batch of tea I made using cane sugar, which makes it appear dark, but I just can't imagine using the refined white sugar that all the recipes on line call for ... it sunk to the bottom of the half gal jar, but that is "normal" ... it is starting to form "strings" now, so I feel sure it is still alive and well - I am so grateful to know that I can grow my own probiotics (without milk) Thanks so much for sharing this, Shay

now back to the barn ... where the kids are bugging their moms. They'll be 3weeks old on Monday

or hiding from their Aunts

or having fun in the slippery feed bins

or visiting with Mina, wishing they could go out to play - burrrrr - this is the first snow they have seen

here is a shot of the drift (right outside of Mina's always open door - that that kid was looking at) that shows how deep it gets (with a snow fence) - it extends for almost fifty sq feet of suspended moisture that melts slowly and sinks in, instead of evaporating instantly ... I have created three drifts, all this big, in the barn yard ... I expect it will be very green this Summer - and hope to do the same for the other fields ... by next year

"wat are u look'n at" ? says Zoro (see the Z ) with a crooked grin - she's still the smallest of them - and they are all nice and fat ... which amazes me - not a "needy" one in either set of triplets ... and they all play together and sleep in a row, along the wall facing south - and first light in the barn's (normally) open door ...

the little Nigerian Dwarf cross bred kids, are all does, and they all have two ninnies, like dairy goats normally have, (Boers have 4 or more but only two "work") which got me thinking, that I could milk these little girls, to keep me in yogurt and half/half ... and yummy fresh cottage cheese, made in the Summer sun. But that means raising them, breeding them, and training them to let me milk them ... knowing that they are half Boer and Boers will NOT be milked - odds are 50% or better, judging on their size, as well, even the one that looks the most Boer, is the smallest - with the most stuck-up ears like a true ND dairy goat. Spring still hasn't her kids yet, but it is the goats that pay for the Winter hay for all the livestock here, if she has triplets too, then the little girls who won't each much more than one full grown Bore ... could earn their keep in milk. Grass is free in the Summer, goats often eat what the horse won't - and they have done a fantastic job of killing all the yuckas ... by next year there won't be any in my fields LOL ... If Yanka helps me "tame" them - doing her 4H stuff, we should know by the end of the Summer, if they are dairy goats or not

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm 
Posting Freak

I just love those kids! Your Kombucha is looking good, a new scoby will form on top and then you will have 2. It won't take long for it to ferment, just a couple more days. It should be a little more tart than sweet and I too prefer cane sugar, it doesn't seem as sweet as white sugar and the taste is better too. With the extra scoby after this batch you can experiment with honey. Let me know how it turns out. On second fermentation it carbonates naturally and you can drink it like pop. In the summer its quite refreshing cold. Anyway, you really got hit with snow. We did last week but the next day it was gone. We'll get more too I'm pretty sure, it ain't June yet. Even though I'm on prairie its about 3000 ft above sea level. Your baby goats are experiencing their first snow. It would be fun watching them test it. Fresh goats milk is the best! It makes an excellent soft cheese.... goats cheese and nothing you buy even compares. The milks whey can be used for pickling carrots or a quick sauerkraut or whatever else you want to pickle. Unpasteurized goats milk, chees etc, has an enzyme no other cheese has that is excellent for you as well. When its cold its awesome. It's my favorite milk when fresh. What with your homemade yogurt, Manchurian Tea,(Kombucha, Mushroom Tea, Tea Kvass, it has many names depending upon what country is calling it what) and if you milk the goats you couldn't ask for better probiotics.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:11 am 
Posting Freak

yes, I am fairly familiar with the pros of goats milk ... ran a small dairy in Utah, in the mid 80s - if you feed them the right grains, their milk is hard to tell from fresh cows milk, but it doesn't have the "lactates" that babies seem less and less able to digest (no bloating/collic) ... we milked Saanan and Nubian nannies, the Nubians give the most cream (enough for butter) ... the saanan give the greatest amount ... put them together, you have perfect milk for making all the dairy products - The cheese is too "strong" for my tastes ... but I dipped it wax and aged it - and my cheese loving family really like it ... I prefer the much milder "cottage cheese" that you make cheese from so it hardly got made into cheese because we would dip in during the process and eat handfulls at a time LOL ...

It wouldn't take but a minute to milk these mini goats ... all three of them may give me a quart (per milking?) ...but you have to milk them twice a day ... unless you are sometimes lazy like me and just let the kids in (once a week or so) to milk them for you HA... the milk is never wasted, little piglets love their corn soaked in milk - but I don't have any of them (yet) - maybe next fall if I'm milking - I'll get some - too bad you can't buy them with Food Stamps ... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:58 pm 
Posting Freak

the Daffys were humbled, bowed low, but not destroyed ... I didn't have much hope for them to survive -it rained ice for the last two hours of the storm, and then it got dark ... Nature's resilience is evident in even the most simple life forms - it's awesome!

I was more concern about the turkeys ... they were soaked to the skin, and wearing ice armor... but still refused to be coaxed into the garage, so I had to trust their instincts (the coldest it got was 27)... I dreaded seeing them all dead in the morning, but there they were, "right as rain" - waiting for breakfast to be served

Miss Mina, plows through the drifts and sticks out her tongue - to say, "no big deal" even though the drift in her yard, has topped the fence - she's already been in the upper fields, to munch on the tender grass

the goats were very happy (As well as the chicken) to be free from their confinement and the kids couldn't be happier

yes, it is melting fast, but the drifts persist, - this is the one that blows off the roof - rather have it here - to water my lawn, than on my roof

here's what saves me, from the effects of five cats being unable to poop outdoors ... as long as I keep a path clear for them, they will go to the "out-house" - something we both prefer - and appreciate The door to the right is to the green house, it's toasty in there, and the heater has been off a month now ... it's "two wet to plough" so I spend a lot of time in there, getting the soil ready for the "salad garden"

Moo couldn't care less, tired of being trapped in his cave, he romps all over the fields, and celebrates the fact that there is no more wind - even though as you can see, we are getting sprinkled again - but the ground is warm, if you can find a dry spot, like Moo has.

Pete sleeps in that drift behind him, right IN IT, ? and is always looking for a pet or a hand-out - he knows how handsome and irresistable he is - and is a great mate for Moo - there is very little hay being wasted, with them in there together

and here is my wonderful hand-made drift ... it will be a while before Mina gets back in the barn-yard - you can't even see her gate (the one you can see doesn't open) nothing but the top of the post it is hung on - and even bigger drifts behind the barn, that were over my head - that you can see - that allow the chickens to just walk over their fence, and I refuse to dig their door out, (for the 4th time) cause it will be melted in a day or two - and they are nesting in the barn - so why waste the energy ?

It's not easy, learning how to trust Nature ... when It has always been portrayed as our merciless "enemy" ... and "boy howdy" - you would not believe the amounts of dirt, gets into a farm house ... there is no sense in steaming the floors, when the ground is wet ... and cats don't take their shoes off at the door ... so getting used to that and "the wildlife", and learning how NOT to worry about the critters being able to take care of themselves - without trying to "humanize" them, is getting easier with each passing year of experience ... You see how big, my sky is - in the pictures - I know my neighbors might think I'm "slow" but I spend hours, just gazing at my surrounding (its more obvious in the winter, 'cause I can't sit in the gazebo) - can't wait to see Pike after this make over... they got three feet of new snow up in the "teen-ers"- great for Colorado's ski season ... we keep getting patches of sunshine, but the peak is blanketed with almost black clouds - no doubt it is still snowing up there. ... and we expect to get another "inch" tomorrow ... good thing I love the snow ... and now can better appreciate Nature "wrath" as its way of watering the gardens that nourish us all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:29 am 
Posting Freak

I really don't see, how the Weather Chanel can be wrong - so consistently - with all the technology they have, you would think they would get it right, every once in a while :lol: We got another three inches of very wet snow last night ... not -1" as they predicted ... it was an up and down snow, which is nice for a change from the side-ways snows = everything gets watered ... and it melts very quickly ... if and when the sun shines

this ain't nuth'n - Texas is getting severely flooded ... Ecquador quaked violently and Japan - what can a say 300 EQ in three dayz - volcano dumping ash in Mexico ... makes you wonder ---- how much of this is related to the approach of "the second sun" - is this just the beginning?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm 
Posting Freak

:lol: I just love Pete! He is soooo funny! :lol:

Cathedral - CS&N

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next