WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: How does your garden Grow ?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:42 pm 

That is fantastic! I have no pics to share, but I will throw some carrot and beet seeds down the ground when the frost is over, and hope I get a little something to feed me.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 pm 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
Onyks wrote:
That is fantastic! I have no pics to share, but I will throw some carrot and beet seeds down the ground when the frost is over, and hope I get a little something to feed me.

Thanks for the encouragement, can't tell you how many seeds I waste, trying to get these sprouts to mature, but I am getting better at it, and learning more each year ... I put a bag of vermiculite in the soil this year with a bag of last years turkey poop ... haha, he roosts in the same place, so all I have to do is roll down a feed bag under his tail, and he fills it ... I let it "ferment" for a year, and then use it in the garden beds sparingly, I use the horse poop on all the shrubs and trees ... and the rabbit "gold" on the corn and outdoor raised beds ... so far I haven't had any problem with bugs ... or wild bunnies outdoors, but I am done with "raised bed" and with the exception of potatoes and corn, am giving that garden over to my daughter, who wants to grow enough "staples" to freeze ... I am going to grow my squash and melons in "hills" on either side of the garage, in June from the seeds I am germinating now ... but can't put anything but root plants outdoors now ... beets and carrots ... and cabbage and peas like cold ground

you should chop up some potatoes (quarters with "eyes") and bury them about six inches down, with three inches of dirt on top ... and they will give you a dozen potatoes each ... onions are easiest grown from bunches of "onion sets" or "pearls", you can grow your own in a cardboard box of dirt (lined with a plastic bag) in a window and replant them when the soil gets warm ... or use some of them like chives, chopped up in your scrambled eggs, with cheese on top... yum ... they come up fast and grow slow LOL

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:10 pm 
Posting Freak

Your plants and experimenting with them are totally awesome Star!!! Those are great pictures! I love the goats! The babies are so fun to watch as they bounce around like popcorn as you described it. I could watch kids play for hours just for how much they make me laugh! Thanks for this thread and keep it up it is very inspiring! :? )

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 am 

Potato and onion sounds good, I'll try to include them to my arsenal

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:07 pm 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
Your plants and experimenting with them are totally awesome Star!!! Those are great pictures! I love the goats! The babies are so fun to watch as they bounce around like popcorn as you described it. I could watch kids play for hours just for how much they make me laugh! Thanks for this thread and keep it up it is very inspiring! :? )

Thanks Shay, I get a lot of "flack" because I am raising critters that amount to nothing more than "pasture ornaments" but they can't say that about the goats ... even not milking them, they pay for themselves and the horse's Winter feed, in kids ... and no one rolls their eyes or says a word about how much food I grow ... ha Who Knows, it may be a good year to grow some extra ... I bought flowers this year too ... now that the kats have taken care of all the ground squirrels and moles, they may not eat the bulbs and I won't have to plant them again :mrgreen:

Here is this years crop of kids ...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 pm 
Posting Freak

Ahhhh...I cannot get enough of baby goats. They are so beautiful and fun! Horses are pretty awesome too and quite intelligent if not great companions! I've been entertained by a few of em if not reprimanded by a gorgeous Arabian pawing the ground in consternation at me! :lol: Animals have their own language which they relay to us psychically which is an equalizer as well. I would never say we are more intelligent than them because its like comparing apples and oranges. It's just different intelligences that can communicate psychically for those so attuned. ; > }

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 pm 
Posting Freak

what an exciting week it has been in my world ... it rained all week ... I mean poured, until my roof finally started leaking ... OMG ... water every where ... looks like I'll be investing in a new roof ... yesterday it snowed flakes the size of biscuts LOL, and everything froze, and gave me some relief from "bucket duty" (actually towells) until the Roofing companies open up on Monday... it could have been worse ... but by the time they get around to it, it will have done plenty of damage, mainly to the ceiling because it ran all over looking for a way in and soaked the insulation ... its the first time I have ever used my homeowners insurance LOL and I'm making up for lost time :lol:

anyway, it went down into the twenties, last night and I was afraid my green house was doomed, but it made it just fine , the water in the tank holds the heat in, with all the lightening it was impossible to keep the electric on in there ...but it stayed above freezing

... I am only going to take pics once a week, so you can see "how does your garden grow" and not get too bored ... I took these on Sat ... and as you will see, things are progressing nicely ...

tomatoes are blooming

beans are up, but only seven peas came up, so I replanted them

lots of spinach this week... maybe next weeK, I'll have a complete row of peas

and lots of beets too ... that will prob have to be thinned again but I like greens and have the lettus to blend with beet greens ... the carrots are shy and take a while

had to put a wall up to keep my big fat toad from digging up my pansy s ... and if you look close you can see the onions coming up behind the green peppers which have doubled in size ... and the cabbage is really going full steam ahead

cantelope (yummmmmm)

summer squash, surrounded by lettus, just getting started ... the others are taking their time, perhaps third planting is the "charm" ?

and my "royals"
Image'

between the rain and the hail last week, I darted in an out planting "china lilies", gladiolas, my favorite peonies, and some "plate sized" dahlias ... missed the spring bulb planting, but my "flags" (Irises ) are well up and love the water ... and so are all my desert succulents... I' ll get pictures of them later... the lilacs and honeysuckle were hurt by this latest heavy snow, but I think they will bounce back, they are full of blooms but I meant to add pics of my three year old rhubarb, it is quite awesome, how it defies the snow and frost and should be sweet this year, but what I was most excited about was the asparagus "starts" that I found by chance ... come next spring, they will be producing lots of "spears" (hope six plants are enough but it is most likely that they will be busy establishing roots this year and I'll never have to plant them again either ... I have never planted it before, because I could always find it in the wild ...it grows along the roadsides in Utah ... it hardly ever made it home, we just ate as we picked, when it is that fresh and tender, it is better raw :lol:

I throw out a lot of bird seed, in the yard, I buy the "wild bird seed" for my parakeet and he doesn't like some of it and this year it has attracted a flock of red headed finches, about a dozen came in with the blue birds this year and dine at dawn and dusk with my six dazzling blue beauties, grey wrens, sparrows, and a friendly flock of Quail cross the lawn several times a day ... I noticed a ring neck pheasant in the yucka field several times, he was here last year too the French hens were checking him out, and chatting away about how handsome he is ... and the Robins are enjoying all the worms that are coming up for air as the ground got saturated ... ('course the cats are loving all the birds too) ... I'll take some pics of them too, they are so bright and colorful, I love having time to watch them

lost a "giant" rabbit doe, she left be hind three kits, just barely able to feed themselves, they are going to be OK ... Yanks brought them gerbil food LOL, full of cherios :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:38 pm 
Posting Freak

Your commentaries about your farm, garden and critters, are never boring. I really appreciate them.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:38 pm 
Posting Freak

well to be honest with you, I can't imagine what people do (other than watch TV) without a garden ... it is so "theraputic" to put some seeds in the ground and add water, and watch them grow ... I have never been much interested in flowers, but the people who built this home, apparently were, because there is not only a rock garden but beds made just for flowers... they took them all with them, (bulbs) and the only things that were left was the "Flags" which I transplanted last year from the garden ... they did so well I thought I'd try some more "tubulars" and see how they do over the Winter ... the ground never really freezes hard here (not like UTAH) so I am hoping that they will do fine in the ground ... my grandpop who was the flower KING always brought his in over the winter, but he was farther north (ohio) than me so maybe I can get away with it, the rhubarb is in the worst spot and it comes up every year so I am encouraged to try... even if I can't eat them LOL

When my grama died, and Pops came to live with us, my dad forbade him to dig up the back yard ... but allowed him to "garden" in a three foot area around the fence line ... well, you would have been as amazed, as me, at what he grew ... even corn, grapes, all the berries, plus the regular veggies ... even potatoes ... Dad let him grow some fruit trees too, and he grafted the limbs of other trees and we had five kinds of apples on one tree, and another with peaches nectarines and plums ... three kinds of grapes on a trellis over the back door (for wine)... not to for get all the flowers he planted in the front yard ... he started his garden in his mind in Jan, and after a month of ordering from seed catalogs he started his seedlings in Feb in the basement under lights ... by April he had his garden planted and flowers in hanging baskets all over the otherwise dark and damp cellar ... some of my earliest memories are sitting in the rows while he weeded.

When my parents moved from the suburbs to a farm in VA, he was in his glory... and gardened a full half acre ... I don't think my mom ever bought food from a store, dad raised chickens, pigs and a herd of cheviot sheep and even had a milk cow at one point ... that was way before the word "organic" got coined ... and he grew a real orchard too (my mouth waters just thinking about that fruit). Mom spent all Fall "canning" (in bottles) everything he grew... her "pantry" was a sight to behold and she made her own bread ... I guess you could say, it was in my blood ... but even when I lived in an apartment, I had my "salad garden" growing on the patio, and a "real" garden, when ever I could ... everyone did, when I was growing up ... but for some reason we got away from doing that ... now it is more important than ever IMO ... and this topic is in line with the WMMs ... because it is encouraging you to establish a relationship with Nature ... remember, the first garden, I shared with you in this topic, was in my home, in the burbs ... that had a south facing "wall of windows" and it produced more than even I expected ... in the middle of the winter, with the help of some lights and lots of those $4 beer tubs they sell in walmart (that I am still using) :lol:

there is no excuse folks ... not to have a least a tomato plant or two, some lettuces and onions in a window box ... bring Nature into your home ... you will never regret it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:55 pm 

fascinating story! I got flower seeds and food seeds, I see no reason as to why not give it a try. It would be fun to see all the members of this forum posting pics / stories / commentaries of their garden.

I also think that this subject / topic is aligned with the WMMs.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Posting Freak

I know what you're saying starduster, it's why I started my sustainability thread a couple of years ago. I love Permaculture because it is about all the connections with nature you can imagine and how to live accordingly. I too was brought up on freshly grown food, veggies, fruit and meat from the farm. It's probably why I am so healthy today besides taking care of myself as best I can otherwise. Organic today is what our parents and their parents knew from their gardens and orchards and pastures. I am amazed at how resilient our bodies are not to speak about how they are effected by the transmutation and expansion of our consciousness. i heard somewhere that kids born now have more sustainable livers because of our polluted food supply, water, air and whatever else.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:20 pm 
Posting Freak

well, Shay, I think the Boomers were the last generation to eat "natural" foods ... I remember when hybrids were introduced, I was in my 20's and quite dissapointed that no one carried "heirloom" seedlings any more ... and no of my plants had "free starts" from the previous years fruits. I guess when the "supplements and additives" didn't work as well, or as fast as hopped, that's when they focused on genetically modifying our plants ... and adding chemical to them and the soil that was depleted by over farming and made our veggies "nutritionless" ... I consider myself lucky to love gardening ... but there was a least a decade when I ate "prepared foods" too ... but I always had some "home grown salads" to supplement my diet ... and got away with not having a family dr the whole time the kids were growing up, thanks to my gardens and my awareness of the "population reduction" agenda of the PTB who weren't satisifed with just Flouride in the water, but by the time I was 30 were adding all sorts of chemicals to our tap water (massive amounts of chlorine) ... making it unfit for man or beast ... or plants.

WOW is it Sunday again already ? What a difference a week makes in the green house ... lettuce and beans are growing like crazy, but I am on the third planting of the peas, and only ten of them are up ... but I will just keep planting them till the rows are full (photobucket would not let me "rotate" the shot, even after I "replaced" it with the intended change ... it almost looks like vertical gardening, huh?)

here is a closer look at the beans to give you an idea of how fast they grow (blue lake bush beans) and what the rows will look like when the lettuce and peas are all filled in

don't have to look for the onions this week, they grew six inches last week, I moved the (second planting for late fall) of cabbage seedlings behind them to get more of the 16 hours of daylight from the shoplites ... and they seem to be doing well, but the squash in the bigger pots are still sleeping on the job, so disappointing when they don't come up.

I almost lost the peppers, for some reason, the white fly larva attack them (and no other plants) in the green house, got some "organic" spray to neutralize them and even though the pepper plants looked like gonners, they bounced back, and will hopefully live, but they lost a weeks worth of growth ... those little bugs can kill them in a matter of days ... but they are not bothered by them outdoors ??? The cabbage is growing quickly now, I trimmed off the bottom three leaves, and filled the pots to the top with dirt this week, to give their giant roots a good start ... but you ain't seen nothing yet ... they will get twice this big before I put them outdoors, to do their "heading" in the full sun (how do you like my airconditioned gardening "sketchers" LOL)

more blooms on the "big boys" this week, ( you have to look between the fingers of the leaves to see the ones on the left plant) and they are growing fast too ... last year I planted "early girls" but the tomatoes were only the size of large "cherry tomatoes" ... these SHOULD get as big as my fist but not as big as the giant "beef steak" tomatoes but it takes almost two months from bloom to tomato ... patience pays

don't have to get close to see the spinach and beets this week they have also doubled in size ... and I see a lot of last years "giant marigolds" are coming up too ... which I will transplant once they all get bigger to around the water tank, to hide it.

beets are making roots so there isn't much change on the surface, but their roots are prob 4inches long now ... still no sign of carrots, so I'll try planting them again ... I think they like really warm soil ... I spend hours in here, just breathing, feeding them what they need

got five nice strong Summer squash (yellow crookneck) in the back pot now, to transplant this week, into their own pots, to get even bigger, before they go outdoors ... can't grow enough of these and already have their beds ready with onions planted to keep the bugs away (by the asparagus, which isn't showing any signs of life) ... gonna give the three cantaloupe (lft foreground) a warmer place to grow this year, you can't even imagine how good they are, homegrown, but so far I have not had a long enough growing season for them outdoors, and they won't grow inside ... they bloom and then die.

hope to have some cucumber seedling to show you next week , I've planted them three times now too ... never had this much trouble getting things to sprout in the green house ... maybe it is still too soon, but the cukes do really well inside and we got so many last year, we made quarts of bread and butter pickles ... yummy ... spoke too soon about the rhubarb only one of them survived that last snow ... but it looks ready to go even though her big leaves got tore up unmercifully by all the hail and the grass is really crowding in on it.

you can't really tell, but the "stump" in the middle is just busting with new leaves ... if we don't get anymore snow, it should be spectacular ... the garden tractor/mower's engine seized up on the way to the garden... I guess I can't complain, it was over 15 years old, but I really depend on it here on the farm ...actually they have come down in price since my dad bought this one ... It's been dying for a while...so I've been saving for a new one (that I'll take better care of) .

I'm getting new fence this year too, and none too soon, the horse got loose last night and it took me four hours to get her back in her field (all by my self ha) ... luckily I had the parameter gate closed and she didn't get off the property (this time) when she gets bored she works on escaping ... I just separated her from the goats and she is determined to get back in with them (even though they share a fence, that isn't good enough), but there isn't enough grass in their (smaller) fields for her too and she has the neighbors horses to keep her company all summer ... my new unexpected "roof" project put the fence replacement back a couple of weeks, and will be done none too soon, I am keeping her in the barnyard til it is done, she is full grown now, and wiser, determined to get to the "greener grass" on the other side of my dilapidated fence ...

the one most important thing I have learned about farming, is you need GOOD fence ... or you will spend all your time, chasing down critters, and mending it ... mine was old when I bought it, and I should have replaced it last year, but I didn't know about these things when I bought a farm ... now I know why they say, "good fence makes good neighbors" even though the only time I see my neighbors is when we help each other chase down our livestock :lol: With a real strong fence, I can get a calf and a sow to fill the whole families freezers ... and it will certainly make the place look better ... I've added (temporary) posts, and mended so many holes, it is a sorry sight to see (but it makes me laugh at my resourcefulness). They had llama here before me ... and apparently they don't destroy fences like horses, and goats ... if they wern't so old, they might of held them in, but it is time for them to go when the goats can just snap the wires in the spots they have been working on for three years now ... I can use what is still good on the interior "cross fences" to fortify them ... I can salvage all the t posts and put them to better use with snow/wind fences. It takes years to "tara form" but it is certainly worth the effort, because it is working directly with Nature ... our true "soul mate" and "better half" ... establishing a relationship with Earth/Nature, is the most rewarding experience I have ever had.

My oldest grandson is getting married early on the 4th of July this year, and I am hosting the "after party" in the late afternoon, after the reception, (they are getting married at 10 in the AM) ... which has inspired me to plant some flowers in the rock garden, which I've been struggling to get and keep the field grass from taking over, for two years now ... these are mini marigolds on the first level and white "impatients" on the second that I planted, in hopes that they will fill in by then ...got a great deal on the seedlings from Costco ... the green ground cover is camomile and desert roses ( succulents) I also planted some mini lilies in there which are coming up nicely along with the "hen and chicks" that winter well here, but it will always have a "rustic" look like my lawn, snicker "ah la naturale'" ... hopefully they will fill in the bare spots by July ... we are going to have a late, country pit style BBQ and huge bon fire when it gets dark (the best kind of "fire works") too ... what a fun time to remember.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:19 pm 
Posting Freak

Fantastic star! Heirloom seeds are easy to find here if you need some I can hook you up. They even sell Stinging Nettle seeds! I love stinging nettles. We have a lot of independent markets here and the process of localization for those aware of health and doing something about it naturally, is well on its way. There are plenty of people growing their own organic food and save seeds and some save enough to sell them to the small localized markets, we even have one of the biggest farmers markets in Canada in the Artsy part of town, every Saturday. LOL. We also have a lot of community gardens in this very green city. And with what I have planned with Permaculture Designing its about to get even more exciting. Hey, this summer I'm going to be up in the Rockies here, (actually in British Columbia) for a couple of weeks doing some Permaculture stuff. I look so forward to camping out again!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:04 am 
Posting Freak

There wasn't a noticeable difference last week, (cold and dark) but I believe that you can see some growth this week ... I am totally pre-occupied with a couple of projects I am having done this month ... I need a new roof, and fence ... and am getting the driveways leveled ... among other things ... The rains finally slowed down ... still getting our daily "splat" but it is finally dry enough to get some things done ... so I haven't had much time to spend in the greenhouse ... but this should prove to you how LITTLE attention gardens need ...

thought I would give you a different view ... you can't really see it here, but the pea row did fill in and in some places there are too many peas now, so I will have plenty to fill in the "holes"

this little be is filling in nicely ... I see that there are even some Spanish Onions (yellow) sprouting up like green hair ... the bugs are still after the peppers, but I keep them well sprayed

a close up on the beans shows that they are growing three and four new leaves at a time

this is my mystery plant, that came up all by itself ... I am hoping it is a cuke, because I have having a hard time getting them to sprout (still)

these are the Summer squash, another couple of leaves and they will be ready to go out doors in the new bed... still afraid to put anything outside til the middle of June ... but they have a nice start
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj17 ... G_2437.jpg

the cantaloup are slow growing but once they get outdoors they really take off

Spinach and Cabbage are growing like mad ... time to thin the lettuce for that first Caesar salad - and toss in some baby spinach
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj17 ... G_2430.jpg

I pruned the tomatoes, and took off a lot of their "sucker leaves" and gave them "cages" to help support them

I think the cabbages are ready to go out doors too ... don't you?

beets have all got four leaves now too ...

too bad the pansy s are not eatable too, they are just taking over

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:41 pm 
Posting Freak

OK ... its been almost a month now, and while some plants grow slow - others grow really fast, been eating the Romaine and the Spinach for weeks now, even threw some baby beet greens in the salad... and some of the onions ...

been greatly distracted by some of the long awaited outdoor projects I have going on, we have been going full blast for a month now, and it is quite exhausting ...and, as usual, it is taking twice as long as I expected ... but the new roof is 80% done (one more day, when the materials show up) all the inside work is done except for putting up ceiling tiles ...(some things I have waited for four years to see completed) ... the new fence is the biggest project, and we are 75% done with that and on the days it rains we have gotten 90% of the re caulking and painting (inside and out) done - the drive way was all but washed away by the recent rains, but it is smooth, graded and covered with base now ... even got a platform for the solar panels ready, with the dirt we took off the roof ... with the chicken house is finally down (ready to burn) the property got a much needed face lift ... and I am overflowing with appreciation lately ... for so many things.

I told you that it would get crowded in the green house ... the beans grew twice as tall as they do outdoors, yummy ' buttery' romaine

you can hardly even see the peas, ha, but they too are striving, and covered with blooms ... and getting light even though the beans are hog-ing all of the sunshine (look between the lights on the right hand side of the picture)

here are the beets now

the spinach

this bed is doing poorly ... can't seem to hold water, and the poor peppers are still plagued with bugs
the cabbage you see in the fore ground is the "late" crop ...

but check out how much the tomato plants have grown

the cucumbers are just taking off ...pretty soon they will be crawling all over the place

these are the "early" cabbage plants, now planted next to the garage so they don't get too much sun

here is the summer squash (five plants) on the other side of the garage to get full light even got two zucchini plants in that row

here is the cantaloup now, it has blooms so I may get one or two (three plants)

the water melon are slow growers too, but they seem to like the sunshine ( have two of them outdoors now)

the Winter squash is slow starting too, but thriving well outdoors

had to show you this too ... it just showed up while I was taking pictures out door ... Nature is so amazing don't you agree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:53 am 
Posting Freak

Awesome sister and thanks for sharing! Rainbows are always such a positive great sign of the true benevolent universe we live in....

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:20 pm 
Posting Freak

been a great Summer here, so far, plenty of rain for a much welcomed change. I am getting a lot done, put up all new exterior fences around the entire five acres - that the horse can't "walk" down, and the goats can't blast through and fortified all the interior fences and got gates so I can rotate the fields and let them seed themselves ... As intended "cattle panels and 6" (8' tall,3' in the ground) treated wood posts, keeps the predators out - they have hit "bunny world" and the chickens pretty hard and the foxes are bold enough to hunt in the day so my free-range chicken have been severely diminished ... lost all 4 of my fancy french hens and only have three of the dozen other hens (rooster and tom turkey survived too) that I started out with (three years ago) left) - sigh ... I don't even count the bunnies, but they seem to keep their numbers up (arround two dozen), in the warren, with new batches of babies by the dozen, that the katz think are snack food - so we are building an enclosure for them that these Manx cats can't jump into ... the foxes and coyotes can jump or climb almost anything, but I don't mind sharing my rabbits, now and then, because they are so prolific - and very low on the food chain.... they live on lawn clipping in the summer and hay in the winter, making them a very cheap source of high protein food... that only require a small space too

I had to hire outside help for the fences (farm kids just out of HS) the first month, but my grand sons are turning into some great "handy men" Brad paints, and Wil builds my interior fences like a pro ... good thing too, because all they can find is part time work and rents are at an all time high... with the Californians migrating East - Colorado is still booming (thanks in part to the legalization of pot).
We are also working on building a delux condo and enclosed yard for the chickens, and putting it by the barn, where it should be --- tore down the old goat house/chicken compound because it was in the wrong place, and was a total eye-sore and gave that area back to the goats who have their own earthbermed Summer shed, for grazing (as soon as we get the first good snow and I can burn down those old building that are demolished now). This new enclosure will have a chicken wire lid on it so the foxes and coyotes can't jump it... and the horse and goats can tell me (via the dog), if they come around (during the Winter) - and I can flip on a flood light that scares them away.

I ordered another flock of Rhode Island Red chicks, because they are what seem to be the hardiest, and the smartest of all the strains I tried.... plus they lay the most eggs (jumbo brown) - all Winter too if you have a light. fyi if you are going to invest in chickens, the red ones are what I recommend ... but it takes almost six months before they start laying (start now for spring eggs) - but a full grown hen cost $25 now days (and you don't know how old they really are)... you have to buy 15 chicks, min to get them mailed to your door, but I feel confident that with the way chickens are being "attacked" that I can sell (or eat) any extras ... can't really have too many eggs (the whole food) and people are putting up chicken houses in their back yards, in the burbs now - the latest "trend" - because of the predicted "shortages" PS, my neighbor is raising quail, who mature and start laying by 8weeks, they hatch the eggs in an incubator and they eat the birds when they are tender and yummy - with that system they have plenty of birds to eat, year round (family of five) for free.

Didn't sell any goats this year, and just "weathered" the billy kids, so I don't have to put them in the freezer and we will have fresh meat - if it becomes necessary ... actually it is better (for you) than beef, and tastes just like veal ... with the price of beef soaring, and being GM ed and cloned, I haven't bought beef in years, I make a great stew out of the bunnies, and "nuggets" that Bianca thinks are chicken cause you can't really tell the difference (and she doesn't ask anymore)... but both them and the chickens get pretty tough if you don't "harvest" at the right time... I don't get anything butchered that I don't plan on eating that day -( one of my neighbors is a butcher), I just can't kill what I raise, but I can sure eat it.

I went to the Auction last month with the intention of getting some wieners, and maybe a calf, but they are selling them so cheap, it would be better to buy a full grown one (unless the prices go up), and take it to the butcher, than to feed them all Winter ... only problem is that a pig will FILL the freezer ... and you have to find someone to share your cows with, or buy another freezer ha ... and I like knowing what they are fed - almost all feed is GMO now daze and I'm trying to avoid being genetically altered myself by eating them... at the Auction, you can talk to the people who raise them and find out who lets them graze (as opposed to feed-lot animals) before you buy. If you don't already know, there is a huge difference in the taste and texture of the meat that doesn't get GMO feed - and if we do experience an economic collapse - food prices will really sky-rocket (like it hasn't already) - with the gardens - I am basically eating for free - and have plenty to share with my family and neighbors ... my new grand-daughter-in-law, wants to get some bees to produce honey too.

Still haven't gotten around to replacing the solar panels, which I consider a must, if I want my well to keep working during storms or predicted "brown outs" ... I have a gas generator, for short spells, but they use almost a gal of gas per hour - so that's not really reasonable, if I want a hot bath - or to cook food, even my propane appliances (stove, water heater and dryer) have electric thermostats ... but fortunately the house is already wired for alternate energy.... all I need is an inverter and the panels which have gotten cheaper by the year. My neighbor has his own "gas station" which consists of two elevated fifty gal drums, that use gravity to fill his tanks ... with my lawn tractor,(mower/snow plow) and all my gas fed equipment, I go through a lot of gas, and it may come in handy ... takes me a full year to go through the gas in my cans (11) and I really lucked-out because I didn't need to buy any when the price rose - even used it in my car to save a buck or more a gal... at the end of the month when cash gets short. I have a solar powered unit that converts air to water for drinking but I am pretty sure that the battery is dead, and I don't use it because our humidity isn't high enough to make it practical (now).

yes, it has taken me four years to manifest my dream, and pound out all the details since i bought this little "sanctuary" but being Independent is a very rewarding "state of being" that I am satisfied is worth the effort ... and my investment has quadrupled, by buying a home that was foreclosed on, and remodeling it to suit my needs - I don't have to depend on anyone and it will support the entire family - if it comes to that... none of us will be living in a FEMA camp as long as we have seeds.... also Have plans of training Mina to pull a cart - picturing us going on picnics (with the grand kids), down dirt roads that I haven't explored yet... or to town if gas prices soar.

more pics of the garden soon ... you will be amazed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:00 pm 
Posting Freak

OK, I was just in the green house and it is a hot as hell, but I took some pics, but when it is this hot the outdoor plants get all "wilty" and I will have to take pics of them later (or early in the AM) when they look their best ... but the cabbage doesn't wilt, because it is growing in a shaded area ... and as you can see, this one is ready to eat ! I told you that they get huge ... at least 4' in diameter each

now back indoors ... to show you how the beets are progressing even though I have eaten a lot of these "greens" there is still plenty more, with the actual beets still growing

the spinach was not my regular type, and it grew tall and died - but it was quickly replaced by last years "early girl" tomatoes, that had fallen to the floor and sprouted all by themselves ... see that's what happens when you grow "heirloom" seeds (free food!)

speaking of tomatoes, my big boys are showing us why "tomatoes" are a fruit - just look at the size of this "tree"

the one on the sunny end of the green house has ripe fruit now ... nothing like a tomato that ripens ON THE VINE

the cukes are over 4' tall now, and loaded with blooms, and starting to crawl up the walls ... this is just their start ... there is one on either side of the water tank and the second picture is of the one on the other side of the green house, just now up to the shelf that will be full of cu cucumbers in another few weeks
see the little cucumber growing behind the yellow flower ... two more weeks and yum yum - get in my belly!

that 2nd cuke pic show the one growing behind the beans, which reminds me that NONE of the peas (also growing behind the beans, matured ... they don't do well indoors, and next year I have the perfect place for them where they will stay cool - as they prefer. The beans are about three times the size of "normal" Bush-beans, and just getting their second wind, I have been steaming these tender delights and enjoying them for a month now- they are kinda ragged because of the grasshoppers that come in the open window but they should continue to produce beans until they freeze.
my "mystery plant" that grew up in an empty tub all by it's self is another gift from Nature, I though it was a squash, and planted it out doors, we'll see how it does - I gave it a basket to crawl up so it doesn't choke the squash plants ... asparagus is up too!
did I say grass hopper? oh yes, they are big and fat this year and lots of them, see this little one sitting on the elec cord (chewing his tobacky) . Luckily they don't eat the peppers, and the awful little aphids are being kept at bay by the three kinds of frogs, in the green house now, along with some ladybugs I imported from outside ... they look hurt, but they are full of blooms and I feel lucky that they survived at all - and believe that they will produce some peppers after all... and as you can see, I have eaten most of the onions that grew behind the peppers ... I have plenty more growing out doors ... the wala wala white ones ... sweeter than the purple ones by far

here is one variety of frog ... I also have a toad as big as your hand, and lots of baby frogs too -- and as you can see the panseys that survived the heat are doing well too

and here is my "cash crop" ... a MMJ "mother" that I am going to clone on thurs when my "root-tone" gel arrives from Amazon - to give me my six plants, we are alowed to grow in Colorado that I will render into "oil" for all my medicinal needs --- after I get my clones, I will put her in the empty bedroom, because I don't want to risk loosing the entire crop, again, from a freaky hard freeze - like last year
the clones will grow in those pink tubs you see behind their mother (grown from seed) and I can adjust the lighting to force them to bud, after they get about six feet tall ... It's a really potent strain that I will be "gifting" to my neighbor who has diabeties and is willing to try "the cure" this year (after getting progressively worse) once I turn it into the oil that won't get this devout JW "high" :lol: god forbid, anyone would get high from a NATURAL plant ... but he will get cured ! as you can see, it is a hybrid sativa, with the "lucky 7" leaves ... Nature does provide for our every need ... unconditionally ... abundantly.

PS, I give up trying to rotate these pics, photobucket SUXs ... I just wasted an hour trying to "replace the original" to NO AVAIL - 4 of them are still showing sideways after numerous attempts to fix it WTF PB?

OK that's it for today, will post the out door garden at a later date ... but I have to go to the Big R to get some starter feed for my chicks that are arriving tomorrow ... woot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:32 pm 
Posting Freak

Just loving this star! Keep sharing! ; ?}

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:58 pm 
Posting Freak

well, it has been a while ... and the entire look of the green house has changed dramatically ... we got our first "killing frost" on Tuesday, and I got ready for it a month ago, by installing a new door, *law requires a dead-bolt lock when you are growing pot.... with a tight seal that won't blow open; got a ceramic heat tower, and a its been running most of this week, at night ... The beans played out and I pulled them all up, but some of the seeds are sprouting and it looks like I'll have more beans (the great part about "organic" seeds - they keep on giving... and I put the clones in tubs under their lights because they got too tall for where they were - they are all about five feet tall now ... and the cucumbers have completely taken over the shelf at the bottom of the window.. I've eaten a dozen of them already and given that many away ... the "free-start" cherry tomatoes have taken over and are just loaded with fruit, I have onions to add to that salad, as well as hot and cold peppers, that finally took off, and my beet greens ... am just starting two window boxes of lettuce again ... ate all the yellow squash from outdoors - and all but two of the cabbages ... yumm

here's my new door and a peek inside .... you have to duck to avoid being overwhelmed by the tomatos HA

beets are still going strong even though I have picked them almost bare several times

here's a look at the tomatoes ... and my "wall of cukes" that got pretty fried one hot day ... but are bouncing back as you will see in the next picture

see the three cuc s at one o'clock ... ha and all the green tomatoes,

the "winter Cabbage" just going to head now (lights are so great) the peppers are almost four feet high - I keep them well picked, the fruit is so tender and eatable ... you can't see it here but the onions are growing in the space behind them and I still have "sets" to plant ... the white stuff is Dimitreous Earth to keep the aphids at bay ... good stuff (food grade) I feed it to every thing, including myself!

the camer's battery went dead ... wanted to take you on the "pre-winter" tour of the farm, (later) I got a new chicken house, and raised a batch of Red hens (15) because I was down to two hens and a rooster by July and had to start buying egg - got the tom turkey two hens to keep him warm this Winter - they are so smart - and they can fly so I must be doing something right, because they are sticking around - looking for pets (funny little girls) ... one of the old hens hatched out five chicks right after I orderd the chicks ... most of them are black like her, but there is a couple that look distintively "french" like him ... by Spring I will be swimming in eggs - but I hope to sell most of the hens - now that backyard chickens are trending. Still haven't sold my billy kids (4) this year, but will put them on CLs this week. They sure are hansom guys - but the girls went into heat this week and they are starting to stink so its time for them to go... Bunnies are all full grown, got about a dozen or so giants in the warren, the cats keep their population down - which works good for me ... the freezer is full of high protein bunny-nuggets already ... Mina had a great year, with all the grass in the fields, she doesn't much like the new fence, but she hasn't gotten loose since it went up... I hope to get her trained next year ... to pull a cart. Got all my winter hey in the sheds, so I'm all set til spring ... it was 5 bucks a bail this year - woot - I paid three times that two years ago, but we are out of the drought and I got a load that never even got rained on ... no chemtrail residue for my critters this year ! It has really been the best year ever for me ... hope the rains continue - we've already got snow on the mts ... and I couldn't be more grateful for the time I spend with Nature.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:36 pm 
Posting Freak

It's good to hear all is going so well star. Nature really is the best!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:25 pm 
Posting Freak

well, I turned off the heater in the greenhouse about six weeks ago, after the 250 gal water tank sprung a leak, and never turn it back on, after I patched the hole and refilled the tank, but then again it hasn't been all that cold - still have peppers, onions and tiny tiny tomatoes growing, along with the beets ... the "winter cabbage" went to making baby plants ... the beets are finally getting eating size - takes almost a year in the green house to get big beets, lots of leaves to munch in the mean time ... I should be starting seedlings, but we are getting a big storm tonight, and it's going down to minus one ... hope the carrot seedlings make it ... and the daffy-dill (they are up about two inches

in the mean time, I found this great recipe for an organic "cure all" you may want to try ... I grew all the ingredients this year, except for the Tumeric - and apple vinegar - and have been taking D3 to boost my immune system, but this may boost it even more ... enjoy

This is The Most Powerful Natural Antibiotic Ever – Kills Any Infections in The Body
By Daily Media -
March 18, 2016

The basic formula of this powerful tonic dates back to medieval Europe, that is, from the era when people suffered from all sorts of diseases and epidemics.

This master cleansing tonic is actually an antibiotic that kills gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. It has also a powerful antiviral and antifungal formula, increases blood circulation and lymph flow in all parts of the body. This plant-based remedy is the best choice for the fight against candida.

This tonic has helped many people to cure many viral, bacterial, parasitic and fungal diseases and even plague! Its power should most certainly not be underestimated.

It can cure many chronic conditions and diseases. Encourages blood circulation, and purifies blood. This formula has helped millions of people throughout the centuries to fight the most deadliest diseases. The secret is in the powerful combination of high-quality natural and fresh ingredients!

To sum up, this tonic is effective in the treatment of all diseases, successfully strengthens the immune system, acts as an antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic medicine. Assists in the most severe infections.

Master tonic – Recipe

You may want to wear gloves during the preparation, especially when handling hot peppers, because it is difficult to get the tingling off your hands! Be careful, its smell is very strong, and it may stimulate the sinuses instantly.

Ingredients:

24 oz /700 ml apple cider vinegar (always use organic)
¼ cup finely chopped garlic
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 fresh peppers, the hottest you can find (be careful with the cleaning – wear gloves!!!)
¼ cup grated ginger
2 tbsp grated horseradish
2 tbsp turmeric powder or 2 pieces of turmeric root

Preparation:

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, except for the vinegar.
Transfer the mixture to a Mason jar.
Pour in some apple cider vinegar and fill it to the top. It is best if 2/3 of the jar consist of dry ingredients, and fill in the rest with vinegar.
Close well and shake.
Keep the jar in a cool and dry place for 2 weeks. Shake well several times a day.
After 14 days, squeeze well and strain the liquid through a plastic strain. For better results put a gauze over it. Squeeze well so the whole juice comes out.
Use the rest of the dry mixture when cooking.

Your master tonic is ready for use. You do not need to keep the tonic in your fridge. It will last for long.

Extra Tip: You can also use it in the kitchen – mix it with some olive oil and use it as a salad dressing or in your stews.

Dosing:

Caution: The flavor is very strong and hot!
Extra Tip: Eat a slice of orange, lemon or lime after you take the tonic to ease the burning sensation and heat.
Gargle and swallow.
Do not dilute it in water as it will reduce the effect.
Take 1 tablespoon every day to strengthen the immune system and fight cold.
Increase the amount every day until you reach a dose of 1 small glass per day (the size of a liquor glass).
If you struggle against more serious disease or infection, take 1 tablespoon of the tonic 5-6 times a day.
It is safe for pregnant women and children (use small doses!) because the ingredients are all-natural and contain no toxins.

Health benefits

Garlic is a strong antibiotic with a wide range of health benefits. Unlike chemical antibiotics that kill millions of friendly bacteria your body needs, its only goal is bacteria and microorganisms. Garlic also encourages and increases the level of healthy bacteria. It is a powerful antifungal agent and destroys any antigen, pathogen, and harmful disease-causing microorganisms.

Onion is garlic’s closest relative ​​and it has a similar but milder action. Together they create a strong fighting duo.

Horseradish is a powerful herb, efficient for sinuses and lungs. It opens sinus channels and increases circulation, where common colds and flu usually begin, as most doctors would agree.

Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and it is a strong circulation stimulant.

Chili peppers are the most powerful circulation stimulators. They just send their antibiotic properties to fight the disease where it is mostly needed.

Turmeric is the most perfect spice, cleanses infections and reduces inflammation. Blocks the development of cancer, and prevents dementia. It is especially useful for those who struggle with joint pain.

Apple cider vinegar – there must be something very healthy in the use of apple cider vinegar as the father of medicine, Hippocrates, used vinegar around 400 BC because of its healthy properties. It is said that he used only two remedies: honey and apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh and ripe apples which are later fermented and go through rigorous process to give the final product. Apple cider vinegar contains pectin, a fiber that reduces bad cholesterol and regulates blood pressure.

Health experts agree that people need more calcium as they get old. Vinegar helps the extraction of calcium from foods it is mixed with, which helps in the process of maintaining bone strength. Potassium deficiency causes a variety of problems including hair loss, brittle nails and teeth, sinusitis, and runny nose.

Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium. Studies have shown that potassium deficiency results in slow growth. All of these problems can be avoided if you use apple cider vinegar regularly. Potassium also removes toxic wastes from the body.

Beta-carotene prevents damage caused by free radicals, maintains skin firm and young. Apple cider vinegar is good for those who want to lose weight.

It breaks up fat which supports a natural weight loss process. Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid, efficient in the fight against fungal and bacterial infections. This acid dissolves uric acid deposits that form around the joints, and thus alleviates joint pain. Dissolved uric acid is later eliminated from the body.

It is believed that apple cider vinegar is useful in treating conditions like constipation, headaches, arthritis, weak bones, indigestion, high cholesterol, diarrhea, eczema, sore eyes, chronic fatigue, mild food poisoning, hair loss, high blood pressure, obesity, and many other health problems.

The master tonic is the best combination to fight each of these conditions. Protect your health using natural antibiotics!

Source
www.healthyfoodhouse.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:15 am 
Posting Freak

Thank you star! I love this thread of yours and look so forward to hearing about your experiences on your land. That tonic sounds wonderful, think I'll try it. I have rediscovered Kombucha and have so many scobys I don't know what to do with. It's excellent for introducing natural gut flora into your system to aid in digestion and health. It is said to be a cancer preventive as well as so many other health benefits. I love it. It's fascinating creating scobys and so simple. You start with 3 simple inexpensive ingredients and they synchronize together to create this awesome life form, an alive probiotic. I was buying it from a health food store but the cost can be prohibitive after awhile so I decided to make my own. It costs pennies to make yourself. The hardest part is trying to find people to use the scobys to start their own with. I created my own first scoby due to not having access to any otherwise. All the scobys I have now are babies of that first one and they are sooo beautiful to me. I look at them and marvel at the lifeform they are. Anyway, I need to give some away for sharing is the spirit of Kombucha as well. For those interested. Keep sharing with us star please. :? }

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:46 am 
Posting Freak

little up-date on farm life ... Mina, the horse is five years old this year, fully grown, she turned out beautiful, and stands 16 hands high, and weighs about 1100 pounds ... she is still gentle and kind and getting very smart ... but she doesn't allow chickens in her stall HA, Mina and the goats hang out together, - the billy (peg leg Pete) loves her and pesters her all day, because the nannys won't have anything to do with him, now that they are heavy with kids - Sunny is due first, no doubt she will kidd in the middle of the storm, her bag is full of milk. Her daughter, Dotty was the smallest of triplets, she was the only survior and never got her full growth, so I bred her with the neighbor's pygmy billy. My billy this year, is from that chocolate giant billy (that I sold because he threw triplets) - because he was the smallest of the kids, - his mother died when he and his brother (they were triplets too but one was still-born) were about five weeks old - and they didn't get their full growth, because they were weaned so early, but luckily there was plenty of tender grass, and they survived just didn't grow big as the twins Spring had - which were giants like their dad (omg huge). I was hoping to down-size a little, this year to give the Nanny's a break, having triplets two years in a row has been hard on them...just hoping that he doesn't throw triplets (like his dad and grandad) - besides, he's Yanka's fav ... but the girl are really huge this year, and hopefully I won't loose any - makes us all sad ... Spring was the last to get bred, and I don't expect her to kid-out, until May, but Dotty will have her little kids, the first week of next month. I traded the other three billies (still intact - with horns) for a bull-calf (what a great deal !). He was named "mexico" but we call him "moo" - is half angus and half Long-horn, by this time next year, he will weigh more than Mina ... but with long horns - not sure I'm ready for that, but he seems happy to be here, and socializes through the fence with the others, and the turkeys keep him company all day ... so far, he is friendly and non- aggressive ... if he gets to be a problem, I'll just put him in the freezer :lol: I figue he weighs about 500 lbs now - what was I thinking ?

I only got rid of three hens, to friends, because after raising them, I just wasn't motivated to sell them, they are so beautiful - foxes got one of the French chicks, and two of the red ones - but I ended up with 14 hens and two stunning gentle roosters ... yes, I am drowning in eggs (over a dozen a day) but the little food bank in Calhan is happy to take my excess farm fresh jumbo brown eggs - they started laying mid Jan, because I have a solar light in their coop ...and as soon as it got warm, I let them out of their pen, and they are free-ranging now, so I spend very little on feed for them. Mr Brown (dog) keeps them and the turkeys out of my yard ... they have their own acre, on opposite sides of the house- they don't get along very well together - these native turkeys are very aggressive, when it comes to food - and I've got plenty of room for them all and "moos" enjoys their company - even though he won't let them in his cave, even when it snows hard ... the fowl earn their keep by recycling poop - and spreading it around ... they are great terra-formers and add to the soils nutrition.
The turkeys have taken it upon themselves to be my alarm clock, and are pecking at my window at dawn each day, looking for breakfast - that gets Brown up, and he loves chasing them out of the yard - he especially loves it when the girls fly ---he has his own routine, and goes straight to moo after getting the turkeys back in their yard, he loves to romp with the calf who is all excited about getting fed and waiting for me ... ... but the Tom turkey ("Potpie") will not be bullied - and pecks him right on the forehead when ever he comes into rang LOL - the hens are full grown now too and will start laying soon - but I won't be eating their eggs - they might as well be golden, at the price these "heritage" birds go for - I'll let them pay for themselves HA.

Bunny world, got hit hard by the foxes, the drifts made for easy access, and out of the 18 in the warren last Fall, I have 8 left ... which is ok by me, I'd rather the foxes eat the rabbits, than the chickens--- because they breed "like rabbits" (snicker) - and this year, they have dug their own holes, to hid their kittens, from the katz - the first litter made it three months ... but they made the fatal mistake of digging out of the fenced in area - and one by one the Manx patiently waited and ate them all- better than eating birds, with their feathers all over ... funny, they didn't eat the chickens when they were little ? and speaking of katz, I have five now - two feral females, and my manx queen ( all spayed now)and a pregnant siamix (haha) and her handsom siamix lover (by a different mother) - to keep the grand kids supplied with kittens (gotta love em) - she is such a beauty - the 2 wild ones and the male live outdoors, but do come in through the dog door, when it drops below freezing and become invisible -but the original cat, Mimsey, is the best cat ever - if you ever have the opportunity to get a Manx, do it - what a perfect cat ... Brown has a special atachment to the largest feral cat - she was a kitten when he was a puppy - and they have maintained their relationship to the disgust of the other cats, because she still lets him drag her around like a rag doll, even though she is much bigger than him now ... Mr Brown is harmless, even the chickens know that ... but he manages to boss them all around - even Mina... and his mouth makes up for the smallness of his size ... he's a great companion - and a good ranch hand.

Speaking of birds, the blue birds came back, two weeks ago, (5 of the 7 that left last fall) and then the robins, and this week the quail are back - with the meadow larks and some very hungry sparrows ... they eat well here, and there is plenty of water around ... I haven't seen the pheasant since last Spring, maybe she will nest here again ... but prob not, with the cats all full grown now. Yanks got a pink BB gun for her 10th birthday - she just turned 11 (can you believe it) and it stays here - which gives me a great deterant for stray dogs ... it doesn't injure them but they get the message to stay out - even if the gate is cracked ... there are some big dogs that run loose - and if they don't leave when I tell them, I am still an excellent shot, one bb in the butt gets the high-tailing it home... they don't even yelp (just take off running) and I don't have to deal with strange dogs because I am a Master of gun-fu in my white (bath) robe .

caught my lawn on fire last month - burning trash, something plastic exploded and jumped out of the ring, those Yucka go up like kindling wood and lucky for me the hose wasn't froze :lol: cuz the grass is really dry and we need moisture bad - which is why I'm hoping for some snow tonight - three inches would be perfect for my fields ... which are just starting to green-up ... I knew Winter wasn't over ... oh, look, it started ... just in time.

pictures later of all the critters, waiting on those kids!

Last edited by starduster on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 am 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
Thank you star! I love this thread of yours and look so forward to hearing about your experiences on your land. That tonic sounds wonderful, think I'll try it. I have rediscovered Kombucha and have so many scobys I don't know what to do with. It's excellent for introducing natural gut flora into your system to aid in digestion and health. It is said to be a cancer preventive as well as so many other health benefits. I love it. It's fascinating creating scobys and so simple. You start with 3 simple inexpensive ingredients and they synchronize together to create this awesome life form, an alive probiotic. I was buying it from a health food store but the cost can be prohibitive after awhile so I decided to make my own. It costs pennies to make yourself. The hardest part is trying to find people to use the scobys to start their own with. I created my own first scoby due to not having access to any otherwise. All the scobys I have now are babies of that first one and they are sooo beautiful to me. I look at them and marvel at the lifeform they are. Anyway, I need to give some away for sharing is the spirit of Kombucha as well. For those interested. Keep sharing with us star please. :? }

that sounds great! never tried it ... the (liquid) minerals I used to take were so bad tasting, I never tried any other "liquids" - ha, but this sounds really good - I've been making my own yogurt ... they don't sell "organic" - and its cheap and simple - and omg yummy - and this sounds like just what I need - those pro-biotics have gotten way expensive ... and after my treatment of LD, I really need them - the super anti-biotics they gave me for a year and a half, absolutely killed my natural "flora" ... this sounds perfect ... do you have the recipe ? or do you need a live "starter" - I get my yogurt starter in power form from Amazon (lol) more info please, thanks for sharing this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next