WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: How does your garden Grow ?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 pm 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
.... see bottom of prev page for Kombucha update

kittens have their eyes open, and are out of the box ... one of the siamese has a very short tail and another is very kinky, but the third is long and straight ... as you can see, they are doubled in size and already coloring up ... the striped kitty is a Mimsey-clone - no tail, and both of the black ones have stubby tails ... this is Yanka's last week of school ... no doubt she'll be out here ASAP

I don't know where the sixth kitty was when I snapped this ... prob under the heap ... but here is a shot, I just took, that shows the different color of the siamese ... interesting huh - how unique they are.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:11 pm 
Posting Freak

starduster wrote:
that's a great Idea, Shay, I will draw it on the glass jars ... and speaking of jars, they didn't come, ?? and I was counting on them - and the Kombucha tea that I had made ready for them (2nd stage of fermenting) "cooked" for about ten days (I tasted it and fed it) and probably because my kitchen is kool, they did not go to vinegar ... and by the time the gal jugs, I intended to ferment the wine in, came, I had five new baby scoobies lol ... I poured both (1/2 gal) teas into the jug with a baby scoobie and another half gal of organic cherry/white grape juice for my first attempt at wine

I put the 2biggest of the scobies, into a new batch of tea ... leaving two baby skoobies to incubate ... this time I made a batch of granulated sugar, and a batch with cane syrup- to see if there was any noticeable difference in the process --- they have been brewing for a week now, and the only difference I see is the cane tea, is much darker and has a more subtle "sweetness" ... I plan on picking the dandelions today ... my yard is filled with them in full bloom - I will collect a gal of the flowers, and make a tea out of them, to add to the tea I have been brewing, with the sugar, to make my wine -

my Kombucha station ... the brew on the left is made with granulated sugar, on the right,w/cane syrup and inthe middle my "hotel"

here's the dandelions I picked from my front yard - that's a big colander so I reckon its about a gal of flowers (and stems)

here is jug of (hopefully) cherry wine (see the bubblier) in my pantry where it is warmest (on top of the freezer)

I am saving the cane syrup tea for my supply of pro-biotics - and will start new batches today - for a steady supply - obviously I am loving the Kombucha --- and may even make some beer - when I have more time - right now the garden has me captivated ...

I just made 2 batches today as well, one with cane sugar and the other with reg wht sugar and your right the cane sugar batch is darker. I made an extra batch in case someone needs some. I'm glad you like Kombucha. I love it! I'm curious to see how your cherry wine turns out. The scoby thrives on the sugar in the mix and its different with fruit sugar than the processed stuff or cane used for kombucha. Really watch the wine and taste it after a while to see how it is because the scoby will use all of the sugar eventually the longer it is in the juice and if that's the case you don't want vinegar. I wonder what the alcohol content will be? Do you have a hydrometer? When I get around it I will take pictures of mine and the 2 scoby hotels I have I really need to give some away. You can dry one out and use it as a chew toy for Mr. Brown when you have extras. I'm going to try that for my daughters dog.

BTW the scoby you use for cherry wine should be kept separate from the tea scobys and the same when you make beer. The beer scoby should be kept separate from the wine and tea scobys after you use it for beer. Also in case you haven't noticed the scobys grow to fit the diameter of the container they are in and completely cover the top of the liquid they are in, the top scoby that is. That's why you will see some rectangular shaped ones. They really are awesome interesting life forms. My daughter has named hers.

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

Last edited by Shayalana on Sun May 22, 2016 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:15 pm 
Posting Freak

Bianca must be in her glory with those kittens they are adorable! Wait until they start running around manxs are crazy as kittens they usually fly through the air when attacking each other and playing and usually in the wee hours of the morning. :>}

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:30 pm 
Posting Freak

Howz the farm Star? : ? }

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:17 pm 
Posting Freak

So how's the farm star? How did your dandelion wine turn out? How about the cherry wine? Haven't heard from you for a while here. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 am 
Posting Freak

I appreciate your interest ... having the best year ever on the farm (my 5th) thanks to all the rain, my fields got green early and have stayed green - I have four neighbors who do not have any livestock so I volunteered to mow their fields this year (now that I have a bagger) and I have finally finished ... I only mow til all three bags are full, so it took me almost a month to to do each five acre lot - at the rate of one hour a day and by the final field it was chiggar season and I really got chewed up... but WOW did it improve the look of our small neighborhood (two others mow their own, and two of us have livestock to keep the grass down) we almost look like one of those surburban spralls now - only our homes are modest little farm houses (with barns three times the size). It also motivated them all to make some improvements ... if the little ole lady up the street can keep up - they have no excuse for letting their property look deserted ... some planted trees - some flowers, and a couple painted - One of my neighbors bought a really strong tractor with all the accessories and has been keeping our road smooth and rut free - we all pitch in and help him with gas - but like me- he enjoys doing it ... it is a win win for everyone.

what motivated me to do it was the extra grass, I got - which keep my critters from eating my fields down to the dirt ... and the hope that by doing this - distributing the mowed grasses all around the fence line - that I could re-seed my fields - that never get to grow to maturity and reseed themselves ... I tried to do this last fall, and spent a fortune on seed that the birds ate ... since the wind blows in all directions - it didn't matter where I put the lawn clippings - their seeds have spread all over and it was way more than the birds could eat - and with the abundance of rain we got this year - I got almost all the bare spots filled in with new growth ... of course I had to dig out a lot of thistle and cactus - but the goats have done a wonderful job of eating down all the yucka ... and for the first time, the two fields that were over run with them are growing grasses too ...

since I didn't have to spend my entire summer mending fence - I was able to do a lot of projects that I put off - I built a new hay-shed on the "boyz" side of the property that holds fifty bails of hay, (which I need to feed-out my bull) and my mower ... I did some much needed work inside the barn - and repainted it ( and got my STAR put up)...and the hay sheds repaired that Mina all but tore down... and on the hot days, I repainted the molding in the house - and installed a cooper sink in my kitchen (all by myself woot) Got my 150 bails of winter hay delivered and stacked in the two sheds- last week, put fifty on the ground over and under tarps - that will be gone before the snow flies in Feb ... last major project will be the Patio next year ... as much as I love the sand stones all the grout between them is gone and it directs water under the tile in my house - and has loosened about six of them - so it's time to do something more better heh - the tile job I did on the front stoop didn't last long - and all the spackle my grandson used to repair the wood door frames - fell off with the (interior) paint he used - lol - that is my project for this week ... hopefully using the right materials will make it last longer - but the wind out here on the Praries just strips the paint on everything ... even with primer-ed enamel (expensive) paint - I still need to do the gazebo every other year - because it is bare by summer - being sandblasted year round.

My garden started off - gang busters ... but typical of first year gardens - the yield was not what I expected ... and the grasshoppers (and aphids YIKES) this year really took their toll - even in the green house! but the tomatoes are finally "coming on" and got enough peas to feed the family - but nothing to freeze - the rubarb grew nicely but the strawberries need a year to get going strong, this is the second year for the asparagus - and it did well, but nothing really to eat - til next year even though they got 4ft tall - peppers are going strong as well as the squash - but they are all slow growing but with these raised beds - in a place where the wind can't get them, I hope to be able to cover them for that first hard freeze in Mid September - and keep getting food - up until Dec ... cabbage, potatoes and beans will all do better next year when the soil settles - the shed protects the beds from the hail too - got rocked good by one storm and have to replace all the panels on the green house -sigh but the cuckes don't mind the rain coming in - got a Banana tree growing in the hot corner haha

I moved my snow fences so they will not cause the drifts I got last year, in the barn yard - but still capture extra water ... I have three layers of snow fence behind the house now, in hopes of keeping it from drifting in my front yard and killing the lilacs - I positioned them so that the wind would blow down the driveways and keep them clear ... the trees and shrubs did amazingly well this year and hopefully all the flowers (bulbs) that I planted last year, will come up again next spring - they were so therapeutic between the blizzards last year

farm life is a never ending series of jobs that need to be done TODAY - ha ... but when you have good fence, everything else seems easy and less urgent ... the billy and the bull did manage to pop the staples on one section of the fence and get loose ... didn't know if I could get them back by myself - but the billy came running for my bucket of feed and the bull followed ... "Moo" is getting really big now, and my neighbors are taking bets on when he will run me over - but he is still a total sweetheart and loves to get his neck scratched and his daily doses of DE to keep the flys from eating him alive (goats don't have that problem - but it worked great on Mina too) I keep a stout stick by the gate to take in with me, whenever I go into his field - they say that bulls get dangerous around two years old, and he will be in the freezer by then - but some times Pete wants to play ... and the stick comes in handy for him as well ... The turkeys stay in their field and the two new hens hatched out chicks ... the older one got six out of the shells, but lost all but two, who are doing fine now - the cats thought they would be easy pray but soon learned not to mess with turkeys - they are very aggressive and protect their chicks with a vengeance - the second one just hatched out seven chicks - who look mostly like the Red Burbon tom - which pleases me to no end, because they are really rare around here - and he is so beautiful, going on seven years old now - I doubt she will be able to raise more than two to maturity but you never know ...

all my chicks matured, and I am getting at least a dozen eggs a DAY ... I let them free range, so I am not spending extra on feed, and what the family doesn't eat, I take to the local Food Bank and they boy-howdy, do they love to see me coming in the door... I sold about a half dozen of them to suburbanites - and still have ten hens - our last major project this year will be to make them an enclosure that they cant fly over and the foxes can't get in - and then I'll move the rabbits over there- so the cats can't get their kits ... only have three of them left of the 18 I had last year, but i would rather the foxes eat them than my chickens ... Speaking of cats ... I had no problem finding "forever homes" for Bella's beautiful kittens - Yanka talked her family into getting the one that looked all siamese - she is thrilled to finally have her own cat - she named him Bonzi - he is stunning ... and I'm pretty sure Bella is pg again ... she's such a good mother but when they all come in for the Winter months, they mohair my rugs - in the summer I wash them and roll them up - but in the winter the hair keep my air filters clogged ... even though they spend most of the day outdoors - I am glad to have them, though, this year was also exceptional for mice - I can't keep any feed in the barn - there are so many of them but chickes eat mice too so I can't complain about the extra free protein HA !

I still haven't weaned the goat's kids - but plan on doing that this month and selling them come Sept ... I want to keep them all haha they are so healthy and strong (really exceptional) - I am going to keep the 3 little Nigerian dwarfs does - and see if I can't milk them next spring ... it would take all three of them to get a quart of milk a day, but that is all I need to keep me in cream, half and half butter and cheese- if the economy collapses and the grocery stores close ... I won't have to go without - during the recovery. Still have plans to train Mina to pull a cart but keep putting it off - in the mean time she is the perfect Pasture Ornament ... and takes her shepherding job seriously ... I can't explain how much I love that horse - but any one who ever had one knows what I feel - and is just as addicted to "horse love" as me ... she doesn't even krap in the barn so I didn't have to muck out her stall at all this summer - just replace the hay after the heavy rains ... The DE also worked on her skin problems and she is a perfect example of a quarter horse at its finest (six yr old) - she doesn't bite or kick, or crowd you - she stand like a statue to be brushed and washed -and waits her turn for carrots ... the only thing she hates is chickens HA she still lets the kids, climb all over her - and stand between her legs ... and licks them like she was their mom and she still has one of the neighbors horses to talk to so she isn't lonely - like I said, this has been the best year yet of my life on the farm ... the grand kids come here to "go camping" in my back back yard and sing cum-by-ya by the fire pit in the Aspen grove - and I babysit Yanks and Q once a week (Wed) so I have all the company I can stand ...

I let a couple of vets move in to help me with my projects - but they only lasted three weeks - He was pretty FUBARed from six tours in the ME, she was in the AF - both retired after ten years, but they didn't want to work - I didn't expect anything from her, she was way pregnant, but I wasn't prepared for how brain dead he was - and felt threatened by his constantly stating "the only skill I have is killing people" and they had to go when I discovered how addicted to drugs they both were ... and how prejudice she was - she thought I "disrespected" her when I told her what I thought of Obama and his tranny wife ... being black herself, she took it personally (even though Barry is half white) - and I could see that it would only get worse - if Trump wins - I felt bad about it, but had no problem moving them out - they all but emptied my Pantry - it was pretty obvious that they weren't willing to work for rent even though they spent all their retirement money on drugs - they were too wasted to do anything productive - and just wanted to watch TV all day - while I worked... and had this notion that I owed them something for their "service" - a career choice that they volunteered to do ... I have no sympathy for the "entitlement" generation - I worked my ass off for 40 years to get what I have - I don't owe them anything - least of all my respect.

PS the wine is wonderful - I sampled a bit, when it stopped bubbling (and I took the scoobies out) and it kicks ass - but I want it to age - so I sealed them back up and they are now mellowing in the pantry ... made some wonderful ginger Kumbucha - and got a bowl full of skoobies now ... you are right about the manx - they spend a lot of time "breaking bad" by walking around on their hind legs - and take no teasing from Mr Brown ... when he jealously guards me from them, Bella gets right up in his face and dares him to come at her - Siamese are bad asses and being half Manx - they are a force to be reckoned with - seen them gang bang a stray pit-bull who wandered on the property ... boy was he surprised to have cats run him off - and couldn't get out of here fast enough

pictures to follow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:48 pm 
Posting Freak

here are the kittens at 8wks old - the one with the brown nose is the one Yanka kept

here is my beautiful new sink - it glows

the green house is just getting started ... mostly tomatoes and cukes, but check out my Banana tree

here is my new shed (gardens on either side) it has rug doors and windows to let the grass breathe (no mold)

here is the inside - and my mower

new (four days old) turkey chicks and protective mama

the two older chicks (2 mos) and their proud papa

Pete's grown - not a runt anymore eh

Moo's grown too, got his hump and his neck flap now - and a bunch of flies ugh - found out he is an Irish short horn breed - gonna keep his hide - he has the rare but hotly sought after "tiger print" on his hips ... he's such a sweet guy (now)

can't believe I got all 11 goats and Mina in the same shot HA (Spring is the only one missing) - as you can see the kids are almost as big as their mom (5 mos old) Mina has her fly mask on ... won't leave the barn without it - keeps the glare off her sensitive blue eyes

here's my other hay-shed - it holds 60 bails of hay and is right next to the barn - it also has rugs for breath-ability

my freshly painted barn (paprika) and and chicken coop with its new copper star to make it official

it is small (this is Mina's half) but full of light thanks to the skylights - had to put up wire to keep the chickens out of Mina's room LOL
boards on the floor are being stored there, for the next project - a covered chicken (bunny) compound to keep the foxes out ( all the cayotes are gone - only heard them once this year - a very scary sound - I don't miss at all.

chickens and my french rooster, taking a dirt bath - they are molting now, so he has no tail LOL but they get fully feathered again by Winter

see, it is still GREEN (and needs mowing) with more rain on the way (took these all today)

my favorite wild flowers - just about done now, but aren't they beautiful?

Last edited by starduster on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:51 pm 
Posting Freak

and right after posting the pictures it poured down rain in buckets and hailed some gravel for about ten minutes ... then it thundered and lightening for an hour ... while all that was going on, Pete- who has been in the rut for two weeks now (you can tell by the smell), managed to find and then blast his way through the only three foot space in the fence that wasn't double-fenced (on both sides of the post) between him and his ladies ... and Moo found his way through the hole - making it all that much bigger, but had no interest in going to the barn (Thank the gods ) ... so I lured him home with a scoop of grain, put up a piece of fence INSIDE, and then hammered the one he tore down back up and then went to fetch the billy, - as luck would have it - it was dinner time, and the girls were more interested in food than Pete - so I threw down some grain and while his head was close and down, got my "goat rope" around his horns (through the fence), and tied him to a post - and ushered the girls to dinner through the gate into the barnyard ... but when I gave him some slack - thinking to walk him away from the girls (eating in the barn) with a scoop of grain - he almost jerked my arm off - LOL - he's put on fifty pounds since I last walked him home - and I didn't feel real confident about being able to hold him - so I got the neighbor to hold the rope, while I walked him with his head in a bucket (so he can't see) - back to his field where Moo was waiting for dinner too ... fun on the farm always some excitement ... I don't want kids in Jan. or my young does bred - so this next month or three will be tricky ... last year he won because he was small enough to be able to jump a four foot fence - but this year he is strong enough to plow through it (when the girls start calling him) ... hopefully when I put the "wean-ers" over there he will be distracted ... but I need to sell all the little does ASAP because he is determined to get back over there - I was hoping to keep him for two more years ... he is a very tame billy - but if he gets a big as his grand-dad - I may need to re-think that - Nature has its ways - maybe I'm supposed to have kids in January this year - can't fight Nature - gonna put the little girls on C'sList tomorrow - Nature always wins when we argue LOL - time now, for a dip in the icy hot peperminted whirpool - and a QP :mrgreen:
I am grateful for this experience and how close, life on my little hobby farm has brought me to Nature - and Independence.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:46 pm 
Posting Freak

thought this was appropriate for this topic ... watch how a (dwarf) Sunflower bursts into glory in this vid called "From seed, to seed"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zst08tm9s6M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 pm 
Posting Freak

Thanx star! I love your life on your farm and appreciate so much you sharing it with us!!! If you have extra SCOPYs from Kombucha they help to enhance plant growth immensely. I am saving all of mine for when I move out of the city in a few months from now.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 pm 
Posting Freak

what a difference a couple of months have made ... The weather has been a-typically warm ... we didn't get our first frost (normally second week of September) until the second week of OCT - and it hasn't rained since August - which means that my fields are dirt again ... but because we had a wet Spring and Summer, there was lots of hay grown, locally, which keeps the prices low - so I bought 150 bails instead of my usual 100 so I could fatten up Mr Moo - I usually sell my goat kids to pay for the Winter Hay, but this year, with all the talk of doom, I decided to keep everyone - until after the (s)election process is over ... it's very tempting to sell with the prices of livestock so high - but I get top dollar for my Billies in Dec - and doubt if the prices will drop ... and if there is a (R)evolution - most of my food will be "on the hoof" and no need for electric to keep it fresh ... I am having Mina trained to pull a cart - she's finally going to earn her keep ... and the last step in my preps - this way I can get to the Auction (barter barn) whether I have gas or not - it's only five miles down the dirt roads - which I wouldn't want to walk ...

The foxes have been wreaking havoc ... they have eaten all but one of my cats (which happened to be Bella (the youngest) who isn't "fixed") - Jett disappeared first, then my beloved Mimsey went MIA - then Rags.... then just when I thought I had my problem solved with flood lights - Kinky vanished - and I found one of my beautiful roosters - gutted in the field this week ... They ate all the turkey chicks but one - and all of the Bunnies but two (females) which I bought hutches for, and moved into the garage/shop --- and will wait til spring to get a male ... when I can move them outside again - The chicken pen is all but completely covered with wire now - so they won't be getting any more chickens and rabbits from me - I think I have contributed enough--- I miss my kats - a lot - I just assumed that they were smarter - but apparently not ... and with no male cats in the neighborhood, Bella isn't likely to get pg any time soon - and when it gets cold, she will spend all her time indoors - so she should be safe ... every time Brown goes out to chase them away, I worry about him coming home but he seems to know, to keep his distance ... I can't trap them - they are too smart ... and now that they killed all the coyotes, they have no natural predators to keep their numbers down ... my neighbors tell me that there are at least seven of them - I am just grateful that they don't eat goats ...

been moving my snow fences - to "capture water" in better places this year ... and hopefully keep the snow from drifting in my path to the barn (and down my driveway) ... so far, there is no sign of Winter - it is 81 here today -- we did get a killing frost - but the garlic, onions and cabbage kept right on growing, and the green house is producing like gang busters with the lights back on (after replacing all the windows after the monster hail hit in July) ... I'll add some pics, later - but it looks like I will have fresh salads well into next year...

it's dry as a bone, and fires are raging in Southern Colorado - 17,000 acres burnt down last week - and it still isn't contained ... but it's pretty much in a "wilderness area" with very few homes being destroyed ... I am extremely careful when I burn my trash - grass fires on the prairies aren't as bad as forest fires but - they smother the livestock by sucking in all the oxygen - even if they don't get burnt - if they get surrounded, they are vulnerable even if there is nothing to burn - that goes for people too, I hear.

every day there is a new challenge ... Nature never runs out of "lessons" to teach ... I warned the cats what would happen if they kept eating my rabbit kits - what goes 'round, comes round ... Bella's not much interested in hunting ... esp NOT at night.

glad to hear that you are moving out of the matrix too, Shay ... you can add your pics to this topic next year ... as you create your own reality and re-establish your relationship with Nature ... who appreciates all the help it can get - keeping things balanced and helping us to become Independent - as our Creator intended

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:13 pm 
Posting Freak

I moved out of the matrix long ago its more than a physical move. Besides, what with heart intelligence and being behaviorally committed to living a heart centered life, the new world started dawning some time ago. Permaculture is so aligned with heart intelligence, as it is with nature, and it is our behavior that determines how deep we go with nature since all humans are a part of it. Or maybe that is what is meant by a world soul? Or the species of the planet? Perhaps.
Sorry to hear about your cats and bunnies. I am familiar with coyotes and their taking out dogs too. Haven't dealt much with foxes. I know rural people who could communicate with any predator in a loving way and from a distance, through their hearts. They deterred many an attack. I don't give animals human characteristics, however I am well aware of how we influence animals through our attitudes and emotions. It takes patience, and focus being in the stillness and emptiness and silence of the heart to work it out to understand and communicate with animals in nonhuman language let alone expectations. We are able to influence much when we are aware of how. From the head or the heart? Or the mind entrained with a loving heart. :?)
Thanks for the update!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:51 pm 
Posting Freak

Spring 2017 has come to the Rockies ... and I thought that I would share the progress of my out-door garden with you ... to show you how easy it is to grow your own organic foods ... for free, after the initial lay out and the cost of renting a tiller ($50) - I'd like to encourage you all to re-establish a close relationship with Nature ... because Nature will reveal our Creator to you ... just as intended. I started this topic, with a Winter garden, grown completely indoors, with the help of lights ... and have shown you my garden, after moving out of town, each year, when it was mature and producing ... This year, I would like start at the beginning and show you how it is done ... to the point where, the garden all but grows itself :mrgreen:

So, I moved away from the big garden, two years ago, and built raised beds - closer to the house, that I could better shield from the incessant wind and hail that make gardening discouraging ... On the Sunny side of the garden, I have created a patch of Asperagus - I planted these five "crowns" that were two years old, last spring, and they grew up nicely, this is their third year, and each year they give more yeild ... they live 15 yrs on avj - up to 40 years ... I ordered ten more plants, now that I am sure they can survive here ... and I will show you how to plant them (I learned the hard way) which is why I only have five plants ... but I have watch several u-tubes about asparagus, and learned a great amount of info ... the "tomatoe cages" were more for me than the plants, to let me know where they are - after the winter removes all traces of them ...

I did not disturb the soil around them, but I put a four inch layer of used bunny hay over the bed, last fall, and a six inch layer of aged "rabbit gold" on top of that, to hold the moisture in the bed that will turn to brick unless it is kept moist ... and it feeds the plants as well - Unfortunately came up too early, and got froze (twice), this year, but I expect it will continue to produce new starts - and I will let it grow again this year without picking (much) because it should be producing well by next year, and I will have it deep in straw to protect the spears better

I know, it doesn't look like much, eh, but look closely and you will see these "green shoots" coming up everywhere - IMO it is better raw, than cooked by far, and when it is fresh like this, it is hard to imagine how delightful it tastes

in the front end of that bed, I have been growing squash, but it really isn't a big enough bed - so I am growing the peppers in this bed this year, I ordered some "special" peppers that I really enjoy, but they can't go outdoors until mid june when all danger of frost is past

... but you can see last year's garlic that I missed harvesting, because it is so close to the "yucka" - is way up, and was unaffected by the last storm ...
in the foreground you see an onion that I missed last year too, always a few of them popping up in the Spring :mrgreen:

so those are the two "naked" beds on the sunny side of my garage ... for comparison - later in the growing season
on the cool side of the garage, I pulled back the straw and found that last year's (heirloom) peas, had germinated - and Nature provided me with enough to fill the entire row ... all I did was add some "gold" and transplant all the seedlings I found in the hay I put down deep, last fall (bonus from Nature - who will grow its own garden in a couple of years )

after I got done and planted a row of onions in front of the peas, it rained and the next day they were green with leaves this AM ...HA I will work the straw into the front half of this bed, and cover it with "gold" too - to make ready for my cabbage - and ring them with onions too...
the fence in the back, it for them to climb up, the one in the front is to keep the chickens out

my sweet baby peas... I threw down the seed I found that hadn't germinated yet, behind them to soak up the rain, I will push them in the ground so they can germinate ... we love raw peas so much - they rarely get to the table

behind the tractor shed, next to the garage, The Rubarb is up and getting ready to bloom for the first time ... there are 3 plants that are 5 years old (transfered from the old garden) and between them and to the right in a bed of there own are the strawberries ...

and the last pic, today, is of the potato and bean patch ... I planted fifty potatos and ringed them with onions, - and when it gets warmer - will plant the bush beans in the space in the middle (look close, do you see "camo kitty" at the end of this bed? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
Posting Freak

hey, Shay ... especially for you ... check out this awesome billy kid - two hours old and looking like a tuff guy ... thick neck, broad shoulders and narrow hips, with strong back legs ... this guy has it all ... but that FACE --- he looks like a stuffed toy
his mom was a yearling, this is her first born ... Pete's his dad

I'll post some more, when I get all the kidding done ... omg the dwarf kids are soooooooo cute ! here's the first two -( both have blue eyes) a doe and the darker bigger one is a buckling ... I call them Ringo (he has a ring on his left front hoof) and her Roxy ...
here's one I took a couple of days ago ...Mr MOO - he loves his pets !

PS, Bella had another litter of kittens two weeks ago ... and so much more to come ... ha ... I have Eng Lop-eared rabbits now, all 15 chickens made it through the winter in their covered pen ... it's all good ... Spring just makes you thankful ...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 pm 
Posting Freak

update... just watched few U-tube vids on rubarb and they said that we should pull off the stem where the flowers are growing, to keep them producting all summer ... so I am going to do that in the morning ... they say you should only eat the RED stems, and that the leaves are actually poison ... but Mr Moo and Pete love to eat them (?) .... they say to cut the leaves off with a knife, before you take them inside, but you gently pull off the stems, directly from the plant - don't leave a stump, it kills the root that produces it, while pulling the stem off, actually initiates new growth ... these are some of the easiest plants to grow , and they will last for decades with not much care ... I grew these from seed - my first year here.

the plant has very deep roots, almost like a huge carrot ... because they go so deep, they get to the minerals in the soil, and they are not only tasty, but full of nutrients ... great for pies, upside down cakes and jams ... and you only have to plant them once ... my kinda veggy :P

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 pm 
Posting Freak

Today's gift from Nature, was two big healthy Doe-lings ... almost identical to Blondie's kids, both have blue eyes (like their dad) - two (dwarfs) down and two to go ... got one more Bore to kid too

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 am 
Posting Freak

Wow star. things are really thriving in your niche in the mountains! It's always a joy to see how much! Thank you for sharing. Mr. Moo is such a big boy now and I love the huffy tuff little kid he is sooooo cute! They all are!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am 
Posting Freak

starduster wrote:
update... just watched few U-tube vids on rubarb and they said that we should pull off the stem where the flowers are growing, to keep them producting all summer ... so I am going to do that in the morning ... they say you should only eat the RED stems, and that the leaves are actually poison ... but Mr Moo and Pete love to eat them (?) .... they say to cut the leaves off with a knife, before you take them inside, but you gently pull off the stems, directly from the plant - don't leave a stump, it kills the root that produces it, while pulling the stem off, actually initiates new growth ... these are some of the easiest plants to grow , and they will last for decades with not much care ... I grew these from seed - my first year here.

the plant has very deep roots, almost like a huge carrot ... because they go so deep, they get to the minerals in the soil, and they are not only tasty, but full of nutrients ... great for pies, upside down cakes and jams ... and you only have to plant them once ... my kinda veggy :P

I find it interesting how these things are passed down from generation to generation through the gardeners in the family about rhubarb. I was told by my grandmother and mother that rhubarb leaves are poisonous which put an almost neurotic caution in me about it. However, I'm not sure how the leaves effect animals. Oxalic acid is supposingly what makes the leaves poisonous to humans. However, it may be more than the oxalic acid that is the problem.Here's an interesting article about oxalic acid:
http://www.realfoodforlife.com/oxalic-acid-controversy/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 am 
Posting Freak

I found this about rhubarb LEAVES and animals, just the leaves:

Rhubarb
Ripe, red rhubarb stalks are nontoxic, but the leaves and green stalks are poisonous to both animals and humans. These parts contain oxalic acid, which in large amounts can cause tremors, stomach upset, diarrhea, burning of the mouth and even death. Frostbitten stalks have also been known to cause poisoning. Goats, horses, dogs and cats have been poisoned by this plant.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/vegetable- ... 62946.html

Also, as far as other factors being poisonous along with the oxalic acid in rhubarb....

You don’t expect to find rhubarb in a poisonous list, but it contains oxalate, which have been reported to cause poisoning when large quantities of raw or cooked leaves are ingested. Oxalates are contained in all parts of rhubarb plants, but especially in the green leaves. There is some evidence that anthraquinone glycosides are also present and may be partly responsible. The stalks contain low levels of oxalates, so this does not cause problems. The bottom line on rhubarb is that you do not eat the leaves (leaf blades) but you can eat the stalk.

https://terrific-top10.com/2012/03/21/t ... poisonous/

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am 
Posting Freak

OMG ... I have beening feed the rubarb leaves to all my critters for years now ... maybe because they only get a few ??? but there are just a few things that they absolutely WILL NOT eat ... Ms Mina won't eat the rubarb but Pete an Moo have dined on them several time ... and the Nannys love them too ... and so do the bunnies ??? Mr Brown wont eat them ... and I've never seen the cats in their bed ... but I had to put chicken wire all around my garden this year, due to the abundance of the wild rabbits ... when it is wet and everything is green, the mice get out of hand too

sometimes I have to wonder how animals got along before humans ( to tell them what was bad for them )

maybe all the GMOs in the livestock feed now (corn and alf) is protecting them :lol:

got all my "exotic" peppers - in the mail (they don't carry them in Home Depot or Wally world) - I love the hot ones ... but not the habeneros so much... I like the little "ornamental" Thi peppers, the extra sweet Banana peppers and the orange "mini"s ... which are all Hybrids - and not organic ... but they are not "gmos" and sometimes the seeds germinate HA ... I planted ten new asparagus, and ten new strawberries ... then we got about five inches of snow HA .... but the peppers are indoors re-couperating from being mailed ... one was broke off at the first knuckle, and there were six, Bannana peppers, even though I only ordered two ... and they were so root bound they went into complete shock when I separated them ... but I think they will all make it ....

all the little pearl onion sets are up... I had to peek at the potatoes, and they are all busy underground ... peas love the snow! ... I should have planted some "snow peas" - because the grand kids just eat these raw, shell and all .... more pics soon ... still waiting on those two doe s to kidd-out here soon ??? no doubt they are pg ... so what are we waiting for ?

rained again last night ... Nature is returning all the water I have "blessed" after circumnavigating the globe - in my daily bath ritual LOL and it is green again ... I have already mowed the neighbor's fields twice ! love having the extra grass to give the girls ... exp Mina who would eat the world if turned loose :mrgreen: but it is the only way I can keep Moo and Pete on my property ... the two of them just blast through the fence - if they get hungry ... what's to stop them ??? Note to self:nothing bigger than ME on the farm

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 am 
Posting Freak

OK , here are some recent (today) pictures ... I had two doe s that managed NOT to get pg this year ... and Sunny got mastitis (for the second time) in one of her teats, so the billy kid was getting most (if not all) of the milk in the other - and I started feeding the smaller (born bigger but not aggressive) doe ... here they are.... you can really see the size difference ... he already has horns ... she is eatting grass, but still getting bottle fed three times a day to keep up with her demands ... she is the "right size" but he is huge - most of Sunny's kids are

and to remind you that life is not "perfect" on the farm, here is a shot of Sunny's now deformed bag - sigh, the little girl is standing on a ledge, which makes her look as big as the billy ... but they are both healthy and doing fine ... I'm gonna "retire" Sunny - she and Spring (the original kids) have each given me well over a dozen kids apiece ... and they deserve their retirement ... that bag of Sunny's is painful to look at - she has had a really rough year ... but still has great kids

Here is "spot" and his mom(on of Sunny's kids last year) - a really nice (big) yearling - and her chunky buckling

this doe kid was born to Spring's yearling - sure looks like a Nubian to me ... never saw a Boer that looked like this one ! That circular thing to her left is a trimming from Min's hoof ... I let her go a full year between trimmings now ... they don't crack or chip, so why not?
I bartered services for kids - and this strange kid was her "pick" plus she's getting one of the yet-to-be-born "halflings" for "service fees" and transportation for a registered NG buck ... ... the new owner named her "Fancy" - and is going to dis-bud her some time this week (sigh - couldn't talk her out of it)
here she is a few hours old ... the fact that she has four teats, proves that she really is a Boer (both parents are Boer) but that sometimes, there is a genetic "throw back" ... the Boer was a man-made breed (imported here in 1993) and Nature is full of surprises ...

here are the "quad" dwarfs ... this week
they pair off and butt head all day ... when they aren't running and hopping around LOL

these are my two "ladies-in-waiting" Dot on the right is a fullblood Boer but was the smallest of triplets - that never got her full growth - some people call them "mini-bore" ha ... so I bred her with a neighbor's Registered Nigerian Dwarf ... and she had the triplets (does) which I call my "haflings" (red, blondie and mini-me -next to Dot in the pic)- which is rare for a yearling and I bred them all to another reg ND billy last Dec ... so this year's kids are "3/4 ND kids" - which the farmers like because they are so hardy ... I will sell the kids and keep the Doe s because they can be milked ... if I wasn't so lazy ... I like having the option, and won't sell the kids til Fall, to keep them "fresh as long as possible

under the watchful blue eyes of Ms Mina ( this farm's oldest resident at six years old)

I plan on selling the entire herd (of Boer) to one individual ... who bought last years billy's - except for the two Original Nannys ( who will mow my fields with Mina)... and to move into the Dwarf - production, which seems to be in higher demand ... because they are not as destructive nor do these little guys eat as much as the- almost cow sized Boer. I'll sell them Pete too.... and process the bull ... and get back to "normal" around here HA!

I'll try to get a pic of the kittens ... they are pretty wild, two of them have manx tails. Yanks says that she'll come tame them, - she'd out of school for the summer ... looking for some place to sleep for a week, with out a baby brother to wake her (they grow so fast too)

Last edited by starduster on Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 pm 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
starduster wrote:

I find it interesting how these things are passed down from generation to generation through the gardeners in the family about rhubarb. I was told by my grandmother and mother that rhubarb leaves are poisonous which put an almost neurotic caution in me about it. However, I'm not sure how the leaves effect animals. Oxalic acid is supposingly what makes the leaves poisonous to humans. However, it may be more than the oxalic acid that is the problem.Here's an interesting article about oxalic acid:
http://www.realfoodforlife.com/oxalic-acid-controversy/

you are so right about the "old wives tales" ... every website you look at, gives a different history of these Boer goats ... the only thing that they agree upon is the documented fact that they were first "imported" into this country in 1993 from So Africa - and I have searched to find what goats they used to produce this unique breed - and they don't tell you, other than "some goats native to Africa and another (white) European goat (might have been a gazell type critter with those markings) - no other goats like them - short and wide like little red-headed white angus cattle - they are in great demand now...

I am not the only one getting "black boer" this year --- there have always been black-head ones (like my "Spring") but I see,on Craig's list, that other all black or "party-colored" Boer goats are being born --- ? be nice to know what's in their genes --- someone should know - but all you get is that they wanted to produce a fast growing, multi-birthing, meat producer (double muscles)... that was extra-hardy in harsh environments ... now they are found through-out Europe as well as Africa and Asia ... and are the predominate goat being raised in the West for their tender pink meat (easily digested, less fat, higher protein) ... I met some people who are just now switching from sheep to goat ... because the trend in farming is goats - if you don't have hundreds of acres for cows.... or even if you do, you can put 20X more goats in the same area

I didn't know any of this, when I bought my first Boer goats - because "they looked really hardy" enough for Colorado Winters and were more like dogs than the boney dairy goats, I had raised in the past ... I don't like the idea of selling "meat goats" -I thought these could be milked - but it is fairly impossible with four teats :roll: ... but it is very profitable to sell the kids, and tell yourself, that none of them were eaten --- but the truth is, these goats pay for the Winter feed of all the animals ... they are what make this farm "free" - and the garden is what allows me to eat organically without spending a dime ... which is a win/win for me - keeps me busy and healthy

but now I want to try to raise dairy goats again (even if I don't milk them, and just sell kids) ... I like the solid colored ones (like mine) The multi colored ones are the ones that suburbanites people buy for pets ... goats don't do well without companions - I see u-tubes of goats being raised in the house with dogs ... they buy them, when they are days old, and bottle feed them, so that they WILL be "needy" - and then they get big - and rude ... I won't ever burn off their horns ... even though, I have done it, when my kids had 4H goats - I had a different perspective of Nature then - I respect everything about it now ... all my goats have horns ... never been a problem for me, they love clashing the horns - it is an expression of ultimate delight to them ... no music in their life, without horns 8)

the Boer billys are just about as destructive as a "domestic" animal can be - trust me - they can do some real damage when they are bored - none of the animals I have raised (including the bull) are the least bit aggressive, nor do they threaten me (on purpose) but anything over a couple of hundred pounds - can do some serious damage ... and that is where I am drawing the line ... nothing bigger than ME - I might even sell Mina ... because she does as much damage as all of the others put together ... HA - and eats more than them too ...

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 pm 
Posting Freak

back to the garden, we have been getting all the rain we need, to get a great start on the garden ... compare these to the pictures above - about a week apart

here is the pea patch today ... they are still coming up through the straw, and I transplant the little plant, pea and all, with roots - to where it can grow up on a fence --- you can see where the onions are springing up in front of them ...
and here they are in the potato patch, that I added another layer of "gold" to last week to keep more moisture in, the sun is intense
and because the potato are about to surface
this years strawberries (planted two weeks ago) all ten came up ... just hope they take root and fill this patch of garden
last years strawberries ... only half of them made it through the winter ... and that's last years carrot - growing up next to it HA

inside, you can see the peppers are re-couping from their transport and transplanting ( it was quite a shock for them ) ... with the Romaine coming up behind them and spinach in the other flower box ... I'll transplant these - second week of June is usually safe
carrots below, with last year's wild violets, doing well indoors ...
cucumbers sprouting in both buckets ... every thing loves that "rabbit gold" -
baby beets are up too ... got just the place for them and the squash this year ...

see how close the clouds are, when you are a mile high ... look how far you can see, beyond the clouds to the rockies ... we are having a great spring ... Nature is loving all the rain ...
that front, rained and hailed on me three times as it passed over - in gust up to 50mph and thunder pounding ... last night Nature woke me up twice - with all the thunder and lightening ... so close to the ground up here.
just look at the day and night contrast of this picture ... looking just to the left of the one above ... I'm in the sunshine ... look in the distance at the ice-cream cone sunny skys ...

If you are new to the WMF ... you may wonder what gardening has to do with the materials ... I have reason to believe, that establishing a relationship with Nature, is a demonstration of the behavioral intelligence - the WMMs encourage us to nurture as we develope an appreciation for who we are and where we are - I'm not just talking about becoming Sovereign, I am becoming Sovereign - and to me, gardening is a way to establish a close relationship with Nature - without going overboard and living in a cave on some island :lol:

and I wanted to share this evidence of a very practical application of the WMMs - whether you are growing a garden, or a house plant - you are including Nature in you life, every time you look at the moon - in awe - you experience Our Creator's unconditional love,
I am also grateful for the WMF which makes it possible to show you ... how generous Nature is , how simple it is to interact with Nature, and how non-judgmental Nature is when providing for Humanity - in abundance ... so that we would could experience INdependence... the way our Creator intended ... equally as personal

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:36 pm 

excellent points :!: thanks for the pics

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 pm 
Posting Freak

OK.... my girls pushed out the last of the kids ... Dot (mother of the dwarfs) and her "mini-me" daughter, Dusty, were 3 full weeks behind Red and Blondie ... Dot is bigger this year, and may be too big for a dwarf billy - next fall ... but for a "runt" she has far surpassed my expectations ... having three doe kids last year and twins this year ... the buck is predominately "boer-ish" and the doe is recognizably Nigerian, even though they are both the same colors ... can you see the difference?

again with the blue eyes ... I was told that all the kids this billy sired, had blue eyes ... but I didn't really expect all my kids to have blue eyes - but they do ... to me, the look is "exotic" ... Im thinking about advertising them as "exotic haflings" :lol:

see how fast they grow The the buckling is on the left and the doe to Ringo's right ... his ears come forward and down (like a boer) when they are relaxed... her ears go outward like a ND and she is a "dwarf sized" kid but he will be bigger than Ringo, in no time ... I love these "half-ling" ... so unique --- check out his line of dots (three) and her "party colors" HA - he's got dots on all four feet

that was yesterday ... and today, right after we all had breakfast ... Dusty had her kid ... a sweet little doe, with the typical goat "bible" on her forehead, and a diamond on her nose and a little tiny white goateee HA ... she has one perfectly round dot on her right side ... what a doll baby, (sorry about the lighting, kinda makes her look Holy (snicker) its really dark in there in the day time ... at night they have a solar light - and all the other shots had "flash eyes" )

I must have gone out there to check on them five times today ... it was still way to wet to garden (I had lakes in the fields) I couldn't mow, or dig for gold ... so I played with the critters all day ... celebrating that kidding is over, 7 doe s had 7 doe s and 4 buck s - something wonderful - to me 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next