WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: How does your garden Grow ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 am 

starduster wrote:
I really don't see, how the Weather Chanel can be wrong - so consistently - with all the technology they have, you would think they would get it right, every once in a while :lol: We got another three inches of very wet snow last night ... not -1" as they predicted ... it was an up and down snow, which is nice for a change from the side-ways snows = everything gets watered ... and it melts very quickly ... if and when the sun shines

this ain't nuth'n - Texas is getting severely flooded ... Ecquador quaked violently and Japan - what can a say 300 EQ in three dayz - volcano dumping ash in Mexico ... makes you wonder ---- how much of this is related to the approach of "the second sun" - is this just the beginning?

Great pics! I like looking at them! Its got a cozy vibe, I could live there! :P

So the comming of a second sun... Whats your guess/take on it? How long until it emerges? And what then?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 am 

Shayalana wrote:
:lol: I just love Pete! He is soooo funny! :lol:

I'm rooting for MOO! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 am 

I thought this might be suitable for this topic:

Yesterday I took a photo from a window in a room on the second floor of a house. It is three pigs, they came out of nowhere really, and I was baffled.

Take a look:

Mommy, Daddy and their child...
So obviously one can see that these are not regular pink (french) pigs, but these are of an OLD breed as I got know later - almost extinct ancient pig breed... Good luck finding any of these in yer corners of thy lands.

An old woman owns these pigs, and once she got notified that her pigs had ended up where I was, she came in a hurry. I helped her to chase the pigs back to the road they came from, and then into the forrest where was an old road of gravel that I ultimately followed all the way to their home. The old woman had a car, so we drove along the gravel road with the pigs at the front , until we met a huge snow drift. After that I walked the rest of the way alone with the pigs in front (they knew they were going home), after getting instructions to find her farm in the middle of the forrest. But it was quite simple because I only needed to make sure that I walked around the big lake. Before I had made it into the forrest and was walking on the village road with these pigs... You can probably guess how much people were staring! Even a gang of refugee muslims happened to pass me by in their luxury busses, and I could see their faces glued to the windows with eyeballs rolling of cultural shock and sudden disgust of the sight they beheld: A strange weather worn fellow, with three big hairy pigs, walking in public. In every car an iPhone camera was pointing right in my direction. It was almost as if a time portal had been opened in the middle of a highway in a modern world resulting in a " VIKING " scene. I ended up becoming close friends with the pigs (and the old woman), after all was finally over. The old woman was filled with joy when she saw the pigs returning, she was verry happy to get them back. The big old hog, was super tired when we finally came home, he just went to sleep without eating, and was so fatigued that he didn't even bother go to his own "bed" :lol: ...poor old hog, he was probably happiest of them all to be home. Their child was probably the one who "escaped" and the parents followed for protection!?

It took about 3 or 4 hours to walk from the village to the farm in the forrest, but I enjoyed it, especially with the pigs - I was singing or talking to them as often as I could, the old hog needed it I think, as motivation to keep on walking in the horrible forrest snow that was taxing his energy. He probably regretted going to the village, I dont think they will do it again. It was a long journey (for them), and the old hog is probably still sleeping - trying to recover! ...this was the first time ever they had ventured away from the farm down to the village. Lucky they saw me so they ended up home again, and lucky I saw them because it was a pleasure for me " to get to know them "

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:13 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
that was a great story Onyks - how many people would be willing to spend more than three hours making sure someone else's pigs got home safely ? I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate my neighbors, who have helped me, over the years, get my critters back in my yard (I've got a couple of them who yell at me for being "care-less" or irresponsible but sh-it happens ... It's not so much of a problem now with my new fence, but Mina did manage to get loose once this past year, and the gate to the lane was open ... I am lucky because she always goes to visit our neighbor's horse, and doesn't just take off ( like they used to do when there was three of them loose) ... but it takes two of us, usually (depending on how hungry she is) to get her back in her fields ... I learned a few years back not to "chase" them, but to "lure" them home - with a bucket of grain - if you can get them to stick their head in the bucket, deep enough(while you are walking them home) that they can't see where you are taking them ... it's fairly simple ... and as much as I complain about how greedy they are - it is their greed that makes them "domestic-able" :lol:

I don't know how you got the pigs to go home, without a bucket of grain, but pigs are really smart - they must have known that you were doing them a favor - no doubt your singing helped to calm them - I sing to my critters, when they start yelling at me to hurry up - with distributing the food, they stop their bawling and listen quietly as I sing - its almost magical, they seem spell-bound - Moo has gotten loose twice and I just have to wait til he is hungry - no amount of chasing or feed will coax him back - til he's ready ... and he's not like the goats, who head straight for my shrubs and flowers ... so it is simply a matter of watching him tear up the driveway, as he runs up and down it to celebrate his freedom - and gets hungry. Patience always pays

you are a good man Onyks - and a great neighbor - rare indeed... to find someone who does unto others, as he would have them do unto him ... even for the critters

Last edited by starduster on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am 
Posting Freak

Onyks wrote:
Shayalana wrote:
:lol: I just love Pete! He is soooo funny! :lol:

I'm rooting for MOO! 8)

Pete is quite the character ... he believes that he is in charge - and always giving orders ... but Moo only puts up with his demands to a point ... you can't really "bully" a bull :lol: especially a hungry one ... that is twice his size ... but I am sure that they will sort that out eventually ... at least they both appreciate me, and wait patiently for their pets when feeding time is over ... I've never felt threatened by their horns - even though my daughter is sure I'll get gored - I've never seen them use them for anything other than scratching their backsides and blasting through fences ... with the exception of the billy I didn't raise, and I got rid of because he threatened Mina and tried to break her legs ... omg, I freaked right out when I saw what he was trying to do and he was gone the next day.... I had NO idea that goats were that aggressive towards horses but when they are "in the rut" they are cra-cra - and I'm the only one allowed to be crazy on this farm. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 am 
Posting Freak

Shay ... some advice on the Kombucha ... it has gotten cloudy, and the scooby has all but risen to the top of the jar but there is no "new" scooby - even though this one has almost doubled in thickness ... I tried a sip (through a straw as recommended) and it was different than I expect but a pleasant taste none-the-less - like tea with lots of lemon(tart) ... It will be a week old tomorrow ... but I am thinking that it didn't "reproduce" because it was in a very cool place ?? or maybe it was the "cane sugar" I used instead of the refined ?

there are some bubbles at the top, but no mold or anything like it, but it is so cloudy - I am wondering if it should be strained before I drink it ... or should I wait for a new scooby to form? I'm not real keen on letting it "carbonate" is it ok to skip that step?

yes, Pete is a charmer ... he was the youngest and smallest of last years kids and a "bummer" to boot ... but he did well, and has a huge sack of seed to plant this year ... as I hoped, the kids weren't huge, and the Nannys didn't reject any of them and were able to keep them all fed ... so he's a keeper - but I need to get a Nigerian Dwarf billy - to bred with ND kids (and his "stunted" half- sister) if I decide to milk them - can't use the neighbor's billy again, because he is their daddy ... and they need to be "freshened" to produce milk ... got all summer to watch the Market - right now the NDs are fetching more than the "meat goats" - and good dairy goats are even more valuable - especially these tiny ones - cause they eat less, take up less space and can be kept in some back yards - it's hard to even find them for sale - that aren't "registered" and way out of my price range ... but there is always the "livestock" auctions, where they sell for less - keeping in mind that farmers don't sell their best stock ... unless they are over-stocked --- you have to know what to look for and be real picky. I got my three original Nannys, from the sale (someone going out of the goat business) and was experienced with goats ... for $50 ea ... if you buy them off of C'sL-doe kids are going for $200 ... and I need five of them to sell, to pay for Winter Hay... or ten billies lol. Spring, typically throws billies ... she is either having two huge ones, or four little guys, because she is equally as bulged out on both sides ... another week (or two) and we'll KNOW for sure ... who gets sold and who stays... I don't wean them when they can graze for free all Summer - til they are five months old and a good size - and then I separate the billies - because they get a better price in December - when they are full grown and farmers are looking to breed their Nannies, for Spring kids. So far none of my goats have been sold for meat (that I am aware of).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:15 pm 

well, starduster... I know that the bucket of grain can work pretty good, and especially as long as there is grain in the bucket. In this instance, I was walking behind them with a stick occasionally using it in various ways to mark that we are on the move for real. The pig child (who was btw 2 yrs old), got his buttocks whipped, which made them jiggle - he got that because he tried to play a trick which would have disrupted the course. Eventually the pigs probably figured I had the stick and the voice, so it was just for them to ride it out until they were home again. I barely used the stick for anything towards the end it was just in the beginning mostly and then I sang a little sometimes while walking, that they might have enjoyed, then I also talked in semi-gibberish with a scottish accent (until my jaws hurt) mostly entertaining myself with that, but they might have picked up that I was assuring them that we were on a homeward journey and that the big hog would make it as well... I mean he was 8 years old, and very thirsty from the hike that his son had embarked upon :lol:

It all started when the old woman arrived, she came out and shouted at them, they lined up and sped away, and she chased them with the desired direction homewards. So I helped her with that, as good as I could - and ended up bringing them home. But that particular pig breed is very special - it is that of the old vikings - they grow a lot slower, and their body build has differences from those pink industrial pigs, these are "viking heirloom pigs"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
Posting Freak

Star,don't worry about the cloudiness that's not unusual its actually natural for all the good stuff that's in it, or it could the particular tea you used it doesn't really matter. We're not looking for a sanitized, perfect, commercial, looking drink. And it may clarify a bit in time if you don't drink it all before then. Start your next batch so that when this one is finished you have a new one. That's what I do anyway. I make extra in case someone wants some too. My sister and daughter like it. Check and see if there is a smaller or thinner scoby attached to the original one. If the original is thicker it means that the new one attached to it. Check underneath. If the taste is too your liking bottle it and let the bottles sit on your counter for about 4 days so it can carbonate naturally. It's a gentle carbonation and reminds me of ginger ale in way.Make sure they are sealed good so the carbon dioxide can build up. Place the scoby in its own "hotel" with some of the tea you made so you have it for your next batch. Put a lid on that jar and don't refrigerate it. I have scoobys from months ago that work and have never been refrigerated but kept in their "hotel". Every once in a while I air them for a bit and add some fresh juice and then seal them up again. The juice in the hotel may turn into vinegar and makes a powerful starter for your batches because its so acidic.These are living organisms and that never ceases to amaze me, they're alive! Symbiotic Culture OF Bacteria and Yeast. Because they are so acidic and the tea becomes like that in the hotel, it protects them from most harmful bacteria etc. They will last for a long time that way and out of direct sunlight. The kombucha while fermenting should be in a cool dark place and never in direct sunlight.I have to give away some more of my scobys.. Don't filter it you will filter out some of its good qualities. You don't have to carbonate it you can just bottle it and put it in the fridge if you want a cool drink. No 2 batches are exactly the same in looks or even taste. It can depend on the tea the sugar or many other factors. Mine is preety uniform each batch but it can vary a bit too. As long as it has no FUZZY black or green mold its good to go. Take it easy when first drinking it just an once or 2 to begin with and then slowly do more. Use caffeinated tea not the none stuff. Believe me it really does give your metabolism a boost! And you notice how easier your digestion is too for all the natural gut flora introduced into your system. It's great for acid reflex too. If Lymes did a number on your liver Kombucha is great for producing lotz of gluconic acid like the liver does to help filter the toxins out of your system. It's great stuff and costs so little to make and really doesn't take up much time either.

You are an astute business woman I must say when figuring out all means of income for running your farm.

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am 
Posting Freak

Onyks wrote:
well, starduster... I know that the bucket of grain can work pretty good, and especially as long as there is grain in the bucket. In this instance, I was walking behind them with a stick occasionally using it in various ways to mark that we are on the move for real. The pig child (who was btw 2 yrs old), got his buttocks whipped, which made them jiggle - he got that because he tried to play a trick which would have disrupted the course. Eventually the pigs probably figured I had the stick and the voice, so it was just for them to ride it out until they were home again. I barely used the stick for anything towards the end it was just in the beginning mostly and then I sang a little sometimes while walking, that they might have enjoyed, then I also talked in semi-gibberish with a scottish accent (until my jaws hurt) mostly entertaining myself with that, but they might have picked up that I was assuring them that we were on a homeward journey and that the big hog would make it as well... I mean he was 8 years old, and very thirsty from the hike that his son had embarked upon :lol:

It all started when the old woman arrived, she came out and shouted at them, they lined up and sped away, and she chased them with the desired direction homewards. So I helped her with that, as good as I could - and ended up bringing them home. But that particular pig breed is very special - it is that of the old vikings - they grow a lot slower, and their body build has differences from those pink industrial pigs, these are "viking heirloom pigs"

VIking pigs eh ... very interesting, they do look ancient and as if they were the progeney of the hairy wild (tusked)boers that roam the woods ... they are probably really smart ... what gets me about pigs is their "human" eyes ... especially when they are blue .. freaky

well, pigs are on my list of things to have on the farm but I want the little "wieners" - not older ones with bad habits ... and they are hard to find ... they need to be big enough so as NOT to get through my fence ... but It should hold them - it is sold as either "cattle panels" or "pig fence" but pigs are smarter than goats, as you probably know by now ... goats are mischievous, but pigs are determined ... and they dig their way out because they are not jumpers ... but I find that if they are well fed, they have no desire to leave ... since the turkeys have rejected my submerged "house" I am sure the pigs would love it.... turkeys roost high - 8ft if possible ... no doubt you have eaten "fresh" pork and know the difference between the taste and texture of the "made in china" brand we buy in the super markets.

here's a funny story ... during the storm, I left the door to the garage open, hoping that the turkeys would go in there on their own ... yesterday, when I went to go to town, I noticed a turkey egg my car's roof ... when I went to reach for it, I found two more HA, she wouldn't protect herself, but she protected her eggs ... so I made her a little nest, in a box, and put it in the garden, where she has been laying (before the storm) and today there were four eggs in there (one new- plus the 3 from the roof) ... the other one hasn't started laying yet and I was hoping that they would raise some chicks (so I could recoup my initial outlay for the Hens) but it is still to cold for that. Turkey eggs are my fav, they are just the right size for a great egg samMich... their shell are very hard, and the yoke is very tough, but they taste exactly like a chicken egg :lol:

It is amazing to me that eggs stay fresh for six months ! and most of the ones in the store are that old - I know this, because I worked in a hatchery ... we gathered the eggs, and kept them in a room where the humidity was high, and the temp was 80 degrees ... after a week they were "candled" to see if chicks were forming - then incubated - until the chicks hatched (21 days) - using special feeds, (arsenic and growth hormones) the chicks matured in six weeks (instead of four months) and started laying their own eggs - then the trucks came and took all the chickens to the slaughter house - their houses were cleaned and dis-infected, and the chicks put in there to grow until they could replenish the stock - perpetual rotation at little or no cost to the farmer ... each of the huge chicken houses had a thousand chickens ... (stunk SOOOO bad) and I bartered, working in the chicken house for rent - and collected the eggs twice a day - and took any cracked or nicked eggs home with me ... my dog (border collie named Happy) would meet me at the gate and the kid would toss her eggs, as we rolled down the drive way ... she caught them in her mouth, on the fly and chomped them down, shells an all - eating about three before we got to the house - she had the most beautiful coat I've ever seen on a dog

the chickens are still nesting in the barn, even though most of them are using the drift to just walk over the fence, and still laying in their own house, I find eggs all over the place ... it's like an easter egg hunt - daily ... I should sell some of them, because I am getting way more eggs than I can get rid of but can't be bothered... so I take them to the local food bank - when I have about ten dozen extra that the family can't use, and they are always happy to see me because they hardly ever get fresh eggs ... I consider it my "tithing" - giving back - sharing the wealth, now that they are "free-ranging" they hardly eat any feed ... so it is no real expense for me - to give the eggs away - I could always sell them out of the parking lot of "Big R" for $5 a doz (organic brown jumbos) but most people who shop there have chickens, (so time consuming) I love that there is always someone selling something there (it's like a mini flea-market on the week-ends) - that's where I found MrBrown - yanka was selling bunny overstock - and we traded ten (pregnant) bunnies for him (so glad to get rid of them), and the lady had five kids, so I knew those rabbits were going to be appreciated by that family ... all one hundred of them LOL ... I don't get many bunnies now that I have put the rabbits outdoors--the cats wait til they are just the right size - and pick them off one by one, til they are all gone ... which seems cruel, perhaps, but rabbits have litters every six weeks (like a cat) and this keeps the warren's population down ...having them outdoors also keeps the foxes from raiding the hen house - I only lost two chickens this winter - but the foxes got ten rabbits ! silly me, I actually thought that I could catch the foxes in my "live-trap" - but the only thing I caught were my cats LOL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:42 pm 
Posting Freak

speaking of cats ... I don't think I have ever posted their pics ...

this is "Kinky" - you can't tell by the picture but she has three big kinks in her tail (typical for manx) she was a friendly kitten but once she got outdoors, she became quite feral - and spends her days with "Rags" hunting - you see how her "camo" coat blends in with her surroundings, which makes her almost invisible to her prey even in daylight and Rags is invisible at night - they are the ones who eat my bunnies - waaa - but then again, they don't eat store-bought food - at all
They look pretty scary, no - but Yanks still manages to catch them, every time she comes - and they go "rag-doll" in her arms

Here is her mother, "Rags" who was always "wild" - her tail is only about two inches long. These two cats never come in the house, unless it is really bad weather .....they live in the barn and dine on mice all day - she's a big cat, (they are all bigger than "barky" but her long hair makes her look even bigger --- both of these "barn cats" have the Manx - copper colored eyes . She earned her name, by being Brown's "rag-doll" when he was a puppy and she was a kitten - he still drags her around - and she lets him even though she is lethal and much bigger than him - they have a bond.

this is "Bella", who is Kinky's daughter, and half Siamese - and very pregnant (and cross-eyed) ... her tail is long and stripped like a coon - has the traditional Manx "kink" at the very end - she is due the first week of May ... she is an indoor cat, but also a great hunter - and typical of Siamese, very affectionate - she was just a wee kitten, when I got all the others spayed (and Yanka needs kittens !)... she still isn't full grown, even though she is well over a year old - Siamese cross-breeds are almost always, really big beautiful cats - she is very independent, so Minsey tolerates her in the house.

I probably did a "bad" thing, when I didn't get this male - Jett- neutered, but he was no where to be found on the day I took everyone else to get "fixed" - the girls had already run him off, weeks before- to fend on his own and I suspect, he was living in the vacant barn across the street - he is also half Siamese and Manx, his tale is (a quarter) shorter than "normal" and has a large manx knot at the end (and one huge white whisker on the right and a splash of milk on his chest)- Three weeks after the ladies were spayed, they let him back on the property, and he sneaks in the house for his meals when Mimsey naps because he is a lousy hunter and lives on left-overs- but he is the largest of them all and Mr Brown and Jett are bbfs - He's the friendliest of Mimsy's kittens (likes to be held) and very vocal as well but basically lives in the garage... "my bad" was letting him breed with Bella - because breeding two Manx is a "no no" in cat world - because that recessive gene that "deforms" the kitten's to produce the Manx, becomes dominant - but by the time I realized that she was in heat, it was too late - but what if they threw tail-less Siamese kittens - I could make a fortune HA ... I'm partial to Siamese, always thought that they were the best mousers, until I got my first Manx
he was being a butt, and wanted a pet (not his picture taken) and refused to look up - so that I could snap his big blue eyes.

and here she is ... "Minsey" the most wonderful cat in the world - there is no doubt in my mind that she is an "incarnate" that speaks English - we have conversations. Typical of the Manx, she is not a lap cat, and seldom needs pets, but she is devoted to her pride - she does "chores" with me, and is always - there - (just out of jealous Mr Brown's reach - for his own good) - a hunter extraordinaire, I've seen her drag home wild rabbits bigger than her, to feed her kittens - I've seen seen three of them chase a pit-bull off the property - she is the Mother of Rags (who was too feral to sell) grandmother of Kinky who no one wanted because of her unique coat and tail, and Bella's great grand mother -

so I am hoping that Jett and Bella are "estranged" enough - his mother was Rags (Bella's dad and his dad were related - purebred Siamese) - his siblings had very short tails and my neighbor "had to have a pair" after watching Mimsey hunt - she wanted her own Manx in the barnyard and thanks me frequently because they have cleared her five acres of rodents (including reptiles) - that were so bad, she didn't want to let her babies outside to play - and I never put him on C'slist because he was such a friendly guy with bright blue eyes and the mama's all nursed him when their kittens were gone... so these cats are half-sibs- twice removed (different related mothers, and different related fathers) ... both with Siamese and Manx genes - I will feel guilty if their kittens aren't "right" - but every "myth" I have ever read about the (American) Manx - has been wrong - except for the part when they say they come in all colors ... no one mentions the fact that their tails come in all sizes (from virtually none - to full length) and are full of knots ... or that they are so prone to be feral - naturally - half of them don't even tell you that they are the greatest mousers in the world of house-cats, and none of them mentioned them being psychic (snicker) - but they all did say, they were very devoted to their families... which is an understatement - they are your (detached) shadow.

Queen Minsey - has no tail, just a knot - that barely shows, because her hair is long - my neighbor (across the lane) never saw a Manx before, and thought I was some sort of monster, who chopped my cat's tails off :lol: glad we got that straighten out Her hair is softer than a bunny, and she sheds (as you can see) like a dog, leaving tufts of hair where she grooms herself, for about a month ... in the Spring, and grows a short new coat that is about 2" long by Winter ... they are very unusual cats with longer back legs than the front, which allows them to jump remarkably high and gives them a unique (tail-less) profile (see below). She was the "runt" of her litter (forever kitten) - and the last to go - I consider myself fortunate indeed to have her company for the past five years. We didn't pick each other, she was a "bonus" gift that came with the yearling colts ... a month after we moved in. You've gotta have cats, when you live in a field and stack grain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:38 am 
Posting Freak

it got up to 70 yesterday, and most of the drifts are melted ... the chickens are back in their yard, and seem happy to have their own area back... Mina, who, as a rule, loves all the critters, hates chickens ! and won't allow them in her "spaces" - she doesn't try to hurt them, just scares them half to death, so they give her a wide birth and stay out of her reach even though the goats could care less and the kids, actually play with them... Mina clearly does not like chickens ... but doesn't bother the turkey at all (?)

I planted onions and garlic to ring around the new beds that I made ... we don't really have all that many bugs - due to the altitude (they say) zero fleas, or tics, a few flies (except in August) hay moths in may - but it is an old habbit of mine (companion planting) that you mentioned Shay ... its too dry for snails and slugs - no japanees beetles, but corn worms galore - and sometimes grasshopper (which the chicken will chase for a mile) I also ring the veggies with Marigolds ... pretty flowers, that stink pretty bad, they also deter insects ... if I start to notice their leaves being munched, I sprinkle on the Dimetrious Soil - that has a great deal of silicone like crystal, which gets under the bug's scaly armor and eventually kills them, while feeding the plants - great stuff (if you aren't a bug) and fairly cheap compared to harsh pesticides, I put it on EVERYTHING including in my bath water ... ant are everywhere in all sizes, but they are easy to control with "ant-bait" which they take to their queen and it kills the entire village in a matter of days

also turned the Earth over yesterday, to incorporate some of the wasted hay into the soil (holds moisture) for potatoes and beans ... I rarely use a tiller, except in the little field I have for corn and carrots ... the soil here, gets hard as a rock, when it is baked in the sun (don't need cement when erecting post) - because it is layered with sand and clay and fairly well blended close to the surface ... but if you keep it moist, it stays soft and is really easy to work with ... so I just use the shovel to turn it over (spring and fall) or dig in it with my hands, to "imprint" it- and imprint the seeds, by putting them in my mouth as I plant - "they say" that this "contact" with soil and plants, programs them to produce nutrients - specifically, for your body's unique needs.

It is amazing to me to recognize how much of my top soil gets blown away by the incessant wind on the prairies ... but once the grasses get mowed down by the livestock, the wind has access to the soil ... and my terrain has changed dramatically in the five years I have been here- but I am learning where to put the "snow" fences, to minimize my loss --- and how to spread the hay to hold water and produce new grasses - working in co-operation with Nature, it a lot easier than trying to control it.

They say that its gonna be an extra hot Summer this year ... my water table is really high thanks to the snows ... May and the first half of June is when we get all the hail (and lightening) - the clouds are much closer to the ground up here on the high plains ... but I can easily cover these new beds - which was one of my reasons for making them - that and the fact that they are so high, I won't have to kneel or bend over to weed them ... rhubarb is up now too - along with the asparagus (yum yum)

Kumbucha is ready to drink, I am incorporating it (slowly) into my daily routine ... hopefully I can replace my "store-bought" pro-biotics, with these (they are SO expensive !) and keep a batch going, because medical "science" completely destroyed my body's natural "flora" and I depend of these "pro-biotics" to keep my immune system strong and healthy ... while yogurt claims to be another "natural" source of probiotics, it requires dairy - Kumbucha doesn't and is a perpetual source of live cultures, for free ... I am anxious to see if I can completely replace the "pills" - even though they work good, I it obvious that they are not as effective as a "normal" balanced gut flora

thanks again Shay for sharing your findings ... I really don't want to be dependent upon "them" to keep my immune system healthy - and this seems to be the solution that has worked long before the FDA was created to insure our food is nutritious - but has failed due to the demands of Korp Am/Pharm co - powered by the Hierarchy of Politics (in service to itself)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:49 pm 
Posting Freak

MAYDAY - MAYDAY ! ... Spring has sprung (snicker) of course she had to wait for a storm, but dispite the size difference in her kids, she also had healthy triplets - her third set of triplets, but the first to all be born alive ... she is as excited about it as me ... one is much smaller than the other two and I spend most of the day in the barn,making sure that it got all the "new" milk that it could hold - but they are all doing just fine, and Spring has the fullest-most perfect bag I have ever seen (on a boer) --- two boys and a girl (her first) that looks just like her (black head)

the biggest boy - sleeping to the left, the girl, in the middle with her "flipped" ears, and the weee lil' billy - the little doe looks like she has a crooked nose but its just the way she's marked (almost looks like my avatar) .... they are are all Perfect - all nine of them !

just to show you the difference in size, the two boys and their very proud mama ( the doe is at the milk bar) so now you know, kids come in LG, Med, and small - from the same litter

and those Daffy's are still holding their own, through three blizzards now - and the tulips are a month early but not the least be concerned by the ice and wind --- which makes me anxious to see (when the snow melts) if the peas are up ... I know the asparagus made it fine too.

you see how nature works ... how abundant it is ... all we do is "add water" to let the sharing/gratitude cycle begin

PS... Bella had her kittens while I was writting this... in the box that I just made for her yesterday (lol) i don't touch them, til their eyes open, but I peek in the top, looks like she had four Siamese and one all black one (like papa) ... I'll check their tails and sexes at a later date ... this is her first litter and she is a little nervous about Mr Brown sniffing around - so amazing how they know what they are doing - from birth - they were all still wet, but immediately attached to the dairy bar ... as I mentioned "Spring has sprung" here at my little house on the prairie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:06 am 
Posting Freak

Yay! I was hoping you would post something here! Ahhhh loving the kids and glad to see they are all healthy! 2 boys this time. Your cat Belle is one of the most interesting mixes I've seen. Siamese in the middle! I love the cats too. Spring has sprung on your awesome farm. Thank you for sharing this with us I always enjoy it! The weather here was quite warm yesterday and hot today. But like you said before, it ain't June yet. Still, I'll enjoy each day anyway.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 am 
Posting Freak

About the Kombucha star, since you really need the gut flora, see how much you can drink until your body reacts to it. It could be the next day. Then drink a bit less than that and it may be the amount you need to start with and for maintainence. I love it. It is so good in so many ways and is so simple and inexpensive to make. Project the core of your being into it and there you have an awesome elixir. We're truly alchemists star! ;>}

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 am 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
About the Kombucha star, since you really need the gut flora, see how much you can drink until your body reacts to it. It could be the next day. Then drink a bit less than that and it may be the amount you need to start with and for maintainence. I love it. It is so good in so many ways and is so simple and inexpensive to make. Project the core of your being into it and there you have an awesome elixir. We're truly alchemists star! ;>}

well, I obviously drank more than I should with the first try ... I assumed that because they sell it in 10oz bottles that - if I drank four oz I would be OK, but it went right to work ... ha ... so I have been taking it very slowly ... one oz at a time, because I DO notice a change in my metabolism... I am very much "invigorated" ... this week I am drinking two oz at a time, at noon, and still taking the probiotic, in the AM so I don't wreck my routine ... and I can observe the effects of the Kombucha - without the other influences of a full stomach ... I am very encouraged by increased energy ... but it will prob take me a month for my body to adjust to these far more lively pro-biotics --- I may have done something "wrong" too ... I am not fond of the "carbonization" ...so I skipped that step in the fermenting process and put it in the frige, with a tight lid on it ... maybe it is "fermenting" in my nice warm body ??? what-ever ... it has a wonderfully natural "detox" effect - which I welcome.

in the mean time, I put the original scooby in a cup of its tea, in a small amber glass bowl, with a glass saucer over it (so it would have space, and air - and it grew a beautiful firm smooth skoobie ... almost like magic, just below the surface ... so now I have enough for a gal of tea ... but the cashier in the Feed Store, said that she made blueberry wine from her scoobies ... I had read about the beer in my research, but her wine sounded divine 8)

Spring, was always the sweetest, and quietest of my goats - by far the smartest and politest ... Sunny's bossy to them and devoted to me, and because Spring always had her sister's company ... and she turned very mean without her Flower - and very jealous of Sunny, because she always had her daughters for companions, because Spring always threw billies, that I sold and left her alone. So this year, nature has blessed Spring with a daughter, with a black head, and flipped ears, just like her (there I go Humanizing my goats) ... and that little billy is the same size as a Nigerian Dwarf and far enough removed, in relationship to the dwarf doe s ... who are already much bigger than they should be - to meet the standards set for "in-line" breeding programs ... genetically they would not be considered related to each other more than any other member of their breed - and my goal is to create a "dairy Boer" :lol: ... there is no way that this Boer billy is ever going to be tall enough to breed with Boer Doe s ... but he will be the perfect size for breeding with the over-sized Dwarfs that Dot has produced ... even though they are officially "related" but not directly the gene that make the Boer such hardy "meat goats" may improve the dairy goats frailties, and correct the "flaw" (mulitple teats) that makes the Boer impossible to milk ... and so far my results with cross-breeding my Boers has produce significant results ... I post a picture of my goats on C'sList and they are sold that day - because they are so obviously superior to what typically gets into the Market ... and because I am not asking TOP dollar, but what I consider "fair" for cross-breed goats and I enjoy the bartering that sometimes happens, which is how I ended up with a cow (snicker) - that has really gotten the attention of my neighbors ... and may result in more bartering because he is so tame and beautiful... and the idea of growing their own beef has finally crossed their minds :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 am 
Posting Freak

as I mentioned before I am very fond of Siamese - I was gifted with a pair of long haired Siamese (Himalayans ?) that I really admired- when I had that little goat dairy in Utah (early 80s) - but I always was attracted by the siamese mix breeds, that produced a cat like Bella (Italian for beautiful) after so many litters of dark kittens, the little calicos and and white bellies - Bella was quite unique, and I knew immediately that she was going to be mostly Siamese, very large and friendly (like Jett) ... and that she is and a great huntress as well as a good indoor cat.

As usual, my first peek into the box is all wrong LOL, I get so excited and everything is moving, and I'm more concerned for mama, an how she reacts ... It's been 24 hrs and she hasn't been out of the box so I feel sure she is going to be a great mama ... there are six kittens ... three of them are Siamese (cream color) two of them are all black, and one of them is gray stripped ... I still haven't touched them but I did take this picture ... sorry about the red eye, she is much more relaxed today (understandably) and not growling at me and the kittens look better (3rd pale one under her front paw - all sleeping with fat bellies) It takes about eight weeks for the Siamese kitties to "color-up" and get their typical high lights ... I took this with a flash but it shows me how much more pronounced the grey is in Bella now, for the first year she was mostly brown stripes - she is darkening, as she ages, she is almost two years old, now, but still not fully grown - like the Manx, it takes them almost three years to get to their full size, with lots of changes, in between ... She is already bigger than her mom - which is evident, because no one else threw as many kittens as she has ... not even Rags - who once had five at a time ... Siamese seem to be a dominant breed - their cross-kitten are (typically) usually big, solid black, or with contrasting "points" (ears legs tail and face) but the stripped combo is the most unique, and therefore appealing to me - but those blue eyes are what really identify them - especially if they are "crossed" (for "super hunting vision")

Last edited by starduster on Tue May 03, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 pm 
Posting Freak

Great! It sounds like the kombucha is working. The sugar doesn't bother you by the sounds of it. Probably because of the alchemical process it goes through. Try it with white regular sugar as well it might work too especially if you haven't access to cane. Personally I prefer cane, but in a pinch the white works too. Gee, those kittens are soooo adorable! Bianca will be in her glory, she must be very excited!

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:01 pm 
Posting Freak

Shayalana wrote:
Great! It sounds like the kombucha is working. The sugar doesn't bother you by the sounds of it. Probably because of the alchemical process it goes through. Try it with white regular sugar as well it might work too especially if you haven't access to cane. Personally I prefer cane, but in a pinch the white works too. Gee, those kittens are soooo adorable! Bianca will be in her glory, she must be very excited!

omg, Yanks is coming out of her skin... it's been more than a year since we had kittens around, and she has been waiting, not so paitiently for Bella to mature ... she has always been her fav - of all the kitties, but her family is allergic so she could never take her home ... I promised that I would let her have at least one litter. School is going to be out shortly (two weeks) and no doubt she will be spending a lot of time here, working with the kids, and playing with the kittens ... and who knows, maybe I'll even get her to ride Mina :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:14 pm 
Posting Freak

inspired by all the dandelions in my front yard, and my friendly neighbor (at the feed store) and a memory of glass of dandelion wine, which was the best wine I have ever tasted ... I am going to make some wine with these two scoobies, and spent some time looking at recipes .. I ordered two one gal glass jars, with "bubbler Lids" to get me through the fermenting process ... and I was reminded of when my dad decided to make his own beer - and root beer ... I've read about skooby beer, and it sounds nice, I would make it with honey - like a mead ... but first I'll try the wine and we'll see how that taste - and I'll order some bottles with the flip lids, for beer - these skoby products, would make for some valuable barter item - but it takes a couple of years to age a good wine ... the dandelion wine I drank, was smooth as silk - seven years old, and packed and immediate wallop

how much of the "tea" do you normally drink Shay, I enjoy the taste, and wonder if, I might be able to have a glass of it iced - or should it always be "taken" in small doses ... today, I drank about six oz, and my body didn't have any reaction, so I believe I am ready to switch it for the ice tea, that I usually drink all summer (in "biggie" cups full of ice) - it was 82 degrees here today ... can you believe it ! The locals say, "if you don't like the weather, wait a half an hour" :mrgreen: -

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:13 am 
Posting Freak

I've made honey mead and its awesome. The water you make it with will make a difference in its taste as well as the kind of honey and how much you use. The less you use the dryer the mead and the more you use the sweeter but takes longer as well. It's quite simple to make. It takes a bit of honey though and time but is well worth the wait. I used local clover honey. I haven't looked at making scoby beer it sounds interesting though. There are so many uses for the scoby you can even dry one out and use it for a dog chew for Mr. Brown. Here's a companion growing guide I found that you may be interested in star or not and another website about garden pests and what can be done, it has info about cornborers or worms and what can be done about them. It looks like marigolds are great for all plants. I remember my mother planting plenty of them in her garden along with nasturtiums and her gardens always flourished just like her mothers did and she was from the old country.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... jzraw.aspx

http://permaculturenews.org/2016/04/25/ ... l-methods/

Cathedral - CS&N

Last edited by Shayalana on Thu May 05, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:33 am 
Posting Freak

I usually drink at least a cup a day or more of Kombucha but it all depends on the particular batch and how my body is in the moment and whatever else I have ingested. I did work my way up to a cup a day slowly . The store bought versions are no where near as potent as homemade that's why you can drink 16 oz of store bought with little to no consequence. Try that with homemade and see what happens. It also depends on how many teabags you used for your brew, how long it steeped and amount of sugar and time for fermentation. There really are a lot of factors and that is why I say feel your way with it. Sometimes I have more and some times less. You have to feel your way with it.I was thinking though that because gut flora was something you were low on that you could start with more than usual. But you have a rather pure food diet so that helps a lot too. And your water is good quality and you are happy on your farm. Feel your way with it. On average I have at least a cup a day and usually I drink some about 1/2 an hour before eating because it sets up the digestive system nicely. Sometimes, I have had a couple of cups because my body can't get enough of it. Also, I have found if I drink it on a full stomach I can drink more of it at one time. But it really depends on your body. Your body knows. I have experimented with different teas as well and that can make a difference in the potency. Black tea makes the strongest and Assam loose tea is powerful. Probably because I used too much without knowing at the time. It sure made great starter for the next batch though. Oh ya, on hot summer days put some ice in it and drink it like ice tea its a great replacement for ice tea. It's very refreshing! If you like Grolsch beer it's a Dutch lager that comes in 450 ml green flip top bottles, usually in sets of 4. It's how I got my flip top bottles and cost as much as the empty bottles. The beer is a real bonus. ;? } :lol:

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 pm 
Posting Freak

Thanks Shay, great replies, and that is what I am doing "feeling " my way around my body and my garden ... over the years I have learn the "companion" way to plant, and was pleased to discover in the "mother earth" link, that I was doing it right, and I am really into my garden this year. it was "ok" last year, nothing near my first year, but I hope to put what I have learned from the successes and failures to practice - in this year's garden ... and have enough to store. ... and I am back to "raised beds" because I didn't have much luck with trying to "taraform" a vegetable garden, of peas, beans, potatoes, cabbage, rubarb, onions and garlic and lots of squashes and peppers (and eventually asparagus) out doors; indoor- lettuce, tomatoes,cucumbers, celantro, spinach and pot .... corn in the back field with my tobacco

I'm loving the Kombucha and had an iced glass of it today ... the body already craves it, and I am very pleased with the results and anxious to get started on another batch, and my dandelion wine ... that I'll try not to drink til 2020 Ha ... kombucha mede sounds worth the effort - even better than blueberry wine ... thanks, this is a great addition to my diet... inspiring, in fact :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm 
Posting Freak

I'm very happy to oblige you. Kombucha IS for sharing. I'm going out of town to my daughters this weekend and we're going to make some for her and family. Today is one of my times where I can't seem to get enough of it. I just love the stuff. In the morning it really gets me going and at night if I drink it I sleep like a baby. It's almost magical maybe it's because it's a live culture. Tonight I' m bottling my latest batch and tomorrow will make the next. Let's see how long you last before getting into the dandelion wine, I've always been curious about it. Does it really take 3 years to be drinkable? We're just ol hippies aren't we? :lol:

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:54 pm 
Posting Freak

Btw star, see this symbol from the 5th Neruda Interview of the Sovereign Integral?

I printed it out , cut around it, and taped it on the outside of the Kombucha gal jar with the picture facing inside the jar and whenever I make a batch I bless it with that symbol how James described impressing your core on drinks that you ingest in the Conscious Media Interview. I think its magical! Masaru Emoto was who discovered that we can impress ourselves , with him it was emotions, on water and that it changed the crystals in the water to match the emotion. Imagine impressing the core of our being on liquid and what an effect that would have on our bodies when ingesting the liquid. What better magic could there be!

P.S Here's another SI symbol that I would have used had I found it first. Just copy one of them from this page and print out.

If you use the second image, save it and then print it off from where it's saved, left click and click on Preview,your Windows Photo Viewer should come up, then Print , Untick the "Fit picture to frame" box so you get the perfect smaller size.(You are using Windows aren't you?) because otherwise you get a much bigger printout, which you don't need for this.

here's some info about Emoto...

Masaru Emoto was born July 22, 1943 and he was a Japanese author and entrepreneur who claimed that human consciousness has an effect on the molecular structure of water. Emoto’s conjecture has evolved over the years. Initially, he believed that water could take on the “resonance” of “energy” which was directed at it and that polluted water could be restored through prayer and positive visualization. In 1986 he established the IHM Corporation in Tokyo. In October of 1992 he received certification from the Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine. Subsequently he was introduced to the concept of micro cluster water in the US and Magnetic Resonance Analysis technology. The quest thus began to discover the mystery of water. Emoto has stated,

“Water is the mirror that has the ability to show us what we cannot see. It is a blueprint for our reality, which can change with a single, positive thought. All it takes is faith, if you’re open to it.”

http://thespiritscience.net/2014/10/17/ ... -a-legend/

Emoto scientifically, led the way for interest in our connectedness to everything and especially how we can influence everything with our consciousness. Water like gold is very easily impressed with focused consciousness and especially with added emotion. It's why some Egyptian Pharaohs had pure Gold death masks. The mask held the frequency of what the Pharaoh focused into it and I am pretty sure it wasn't fear....not with having the Book of the Dead which was a map or navigation tool for their souls journey after leaving the physical body behind. Anyway, whatever energy or whatever you want to call it, we put into brewing Kombucha and intentionally impress on it we will have the benefit of when we ingest it. So why not impress the best we know how? The core of our being.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:18 pm 
Posting Freak

that's a great Idea, Shay, I will draw it on the glass jars ... and speaking of jars, they didn't come, ?? and I was counting on them - and the Kombucha tea that I had made ready for them (2nd stage of fermenting) "cooked" for about ten days (I tasted it and fed it) and probably because my kitchen is kool, they did not go to vinegar ... and by the time the gal jugs, I intended to ferment the wine in, came, I had five new baby scoobies lol ... I poured both (1/2 gal) teas into the jug with a baby scoobie and another half gal of organic cherry/white grape juice for my first attempt at wine

I put the 2biggest of the scobies, into a new batch of tea ... leaving two baby skoobies to incubate ... this time I made a batch of granulated sugar, and a batch with cane syrup- to see if there was any noticeable difference in the process --- they have been brewing for a week now, and the only difference I see is the cane tea, is much darker and has a more subtle "sweetness" ... I plan on picking the dandelions today ... my yard is filled with them in full bloom - I will collect a gal of the flowers, and make a tea out of them, to add to the tea I have been brewing, with the sugar, to make my wine -

my Kombucha station ... the brew on the left is made with granulated sugar, on the right,w/cane syrup and inthe middle my "hotel"

here's the dandelions I picked from my front yard - that's a big colander so I reckon its about a gal of flowers (and stems)

here is jug of (hopefully) cherry wine (see the bubblier) in my pantry where it is warmest (on top of the freezer)

I am saving the cane syrup tea for my supply of pro-biotics - and will start new batches today - for a steady supply - obviously I am loving the Kombucha --- and may even make some beer - when I have more time - right now the garden has me captivated ...

Last edited by starduster on Sat May 21, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next