WingMakers Forum
Visit SUMBOLA - The Social Reading Platform
Publishers, Authors, Readers, and Talent wanted.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Lyricus Discourse 6
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:32 am 

I frequently find I am the only one who smiles or laughs at myself when I screw up. Is it really noble to always be so stoic?

I’m with you on this Aspirant. One of the t-shirts I wear that always gets a giggle and breaks the ice with people in public says “If you can’t laugh at yourself I’ll do it for you.” My kids and I are always having a laugh and a joke and are always quick to try and get in first with the “joke on ourselves” when we mess up. It’s a shame that pictures of some of our great spiritualists don’t have a smiley, carefree face; alas, portraits with smiling faces seem to have been reserved only for the politicians and even then it’s difficult to find the genuine from the fake. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 am 
Posting Freak

Location: High Plains of the Front Range of the Rocky Mts in Colorado USA
while visiting homes, and meeting new patients, one of our assignments was to evaluate the overall "mood" of the individual ... based upon our observance of how easily they smiled or laughed ... this is one of those things that "stuck" with me ... and over the years I have noticed that my "sense of humor" has always been different than what others seem to be amused by ... I am not amused by stupidity, or watching someone get hurt (even if it isn't seriously) nor do I laugh when people say very serious things "in jest" ... My oldest granddaughter brought this to my attention, because she loves to watch movies with me, and I never want to watch what she considers "comedy" and I consider stupidity - slapstick is not amusing to me, because of my empathy ... when someone falls flat on their face - I feel it - like a kick in the gut - it doesn't matter that I KNOW it is an "act" ... my eyes see it and my body reacts as if it was happening to me ... I don't enjoy watch MDK (murder,death,kill) movies either because even after I get over the trama of the killing, my mind immediately jumps to the family members of the person killed and how it will impact them and I loose the story line ... I come out of these pictures emotionally drained - so I stick to movies that I can't relate to my own reality (fantasy and SiFi, history and mystery) hoping to be enhanced instead of amused.

which is not to say that I haven't watched a million of these filcks ... it just is not amusing or enjoyable for me - I take no pleasure in the misery or vindictiveness of others. And my feeling were validated, once, when I watched a doc about Charlie Chaplin, and his plump sidekick. When his partner was asked if his children appreciated his films ... he said his kids weren't show the films,( when they were young) because of the reaction his first son had to them - he hated Charlie, and tried to hit him whenever he came to visit ... because of all the abuse towards his father from Charlie in these films ..( like the three stooges) - constantly being slapped and humiliated ... his dad was the "fall" guy and constantly being hurt and told how dumb he was and he was humiliated in every film and the films were real to him... it wasn't humorous to him to see his dad being belittled and made fun of or watching a building fall on him or him getting run over by a car ... even if everyone in the world though it was hysterically funny

It is one thing to laugh at your own "mistakes" ... it makes it easier, to get back on the horse your were riding that threw you for a loop ... but when I was helping my daughter, in college at the time, write a paper about "what makes people laugh" and I discovered that it was a reaction, mainly to things that they found embarrassing or had no other response to, other than to giggle ... it dawned on me, that how, when I was raising my children, I always knew that they were "up to no good" when I heard them giggling (nervously) - the giggle always gave them away ... the automatic giggle is a reaction to something that would embarrass you, if what you are witnessing happened to you - most of the time. Examine what you find amusing ... you will be surprised at what makes you giggle ... and if you discover that you are laughing because someone like Lucy Ball is doing something you would most likely do in a similar situation (which does not involve pain or humiliation) and like Tolsap can laugh at your own mistakes ... you will discover something important about yourself

What we found, in the medical field, when we were making our evaluations of the patients is, that the well adjusted ones, who were able to deal with and accepted their illness, laughed easily - the ones who were overwhelmed by it - didn't laugh or smile at anything ... they could not be amused - were the most difficult to work with - almost impossible to please, and they didn't appreciate much of anything we did to make their life more pleasant ... while those who still had a sense of humor expressed appreciation for everything we did, even if it only amounted to fluffing their pillow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 am 

It's great fun reading your comments about laughter and having the ability to laugh at ourselves. I must be honest and say that I am not always able to follow this sage advice. There is a reason I call myself "aspirant".

Isn't this whole psychology around "laughter" fascinating and I particularly enjoyed your observations Starduster. I am with you regarding some of the so-called "comedy" our culture embraces these days. I find the descent into the vulgar very weak and an unfortunate marker of our current milieu. For me the best humor is that which possesses insight and wit, something we don't often see these days. I love Lucy Ball & have had quite a few "Lucy" moments myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:10 pm 
Posting Freak

I have a daughter who is chronically ill and bedridden because of it. She absolutely depends on many people to help her with her most basic needs including being fed puree for food. Still, she has the best sense of humor of anyone I know we can always laugh at each others folly and I enjoy that she laughs at me a lot, she knows how to lighten up any situation. I can't imagine what it's like to be in hers I can only appreciate her and love her sense of humor. She shows me appreciation for the little things since she has lost so much with this dis-ease she has but has gained so much in having become the loving and good humored person she is. She is my greatest joy. So I think genuine humor can come from a place that has experienced so much and can laugh at how seriously some take it because you know that it can be gotten through. Even the reactions to being laughed at are understood from having come to the other side of experiences that for some could of been devastating . It took some years for my daughter to turn it around and stop being bitter . But she did and so many strangers appreciate her as well because she reminds them that they really haven't much to complain about when seeing her immobilization at such a young age. I've also found that people laugh at others when seeing that they are trying to manipulate, deceive and hurt and those that are doing the manipulating , deception and striking out at people will cover it under the guise of humor as if it is exceptable behavior. Both are displayed frequently on this forum. Humor or laughing in delight can simply be the response to feeling absolute delight in something as well. People laugh for different personal reasons, but I find to be able to laugh at one's folly denotes a level of maturity in not being self absorbed and taking everything so seriously because of it. Just my 2 bits. :D

"Oneness, Truthfulness and Equality"

Cathedral - CS&N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaSU0ABrnY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 pm 
Posting Freak

Tolsap this one's for you.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 am 

Thank you Shayalana for sharing about your daughter. She is a very rare and special child. Her story provides the kind of startling clarity which inspires me to be a better person. I know my heart was more open and my meditation more selfless after reading your post yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:37 am 
Posting Freak

For me Cara is very special and this with her has been one of the hardest learnings for both of us . However, we are in it together and that makes it so much easier and we love each other's company so very much. It can be hard for me though because I can only visit with her when healthy. I f I have a sore throat or cold or flu I can't see her because her immune system is suppressed which makes it easier to catch anything and if she does she gets very very sick. So lately I have had 2 different types of flu piggy backed so haven't seen Cara for over a week and she really misses me as I do her. However, I send her so much love and what is wonderful about that is she feels it too. And when I do go see her she'll tell me how she had been thinking so much about me that morning and knew I would be there. She is right every time and I tell her how much that pleases me.

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:19 am 

I send you and Cara my love. Hope you are fully recovered soon & vibrantly healthy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 am 
Posting Freak

Thank you Aspirant I love telling her of all the people that are sending her love. I know and see that it finds her...

Cathedral - CS&N

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The Technique of Intuitive Intelligence is a very important tool for those practicing living the love centered life. As we enter this time of compression of energy moving into the higher dimensions, all of us need to help the planet move. We can do this by clearing the emotional densities from our emotional selves first and then the planet can also be cleared.

If you feel to do this, I am sure you will feel the energetic heart energy deepen within your being. I know I have since starting to do this technique again.